Seating cushions

Bouydog

Forum Member
Has anyone made or had made base and backrest cushions for seating.
I am looking for recommendations for suppliers of finished items, or is it best to source the foam and cover my self

Greggbear67

Forum Member
I couldn't source any reasonably priced ones when I was looking. Just bought a piece of memory foam off ebay,20inches by 70inches by 4inches thick for 25quid so probably best to do it yourself in my opinion.

Bouydog

Forum Member
Reasonably priced is the difficult bit, I have been looking at the caravan cushions on eBay thinking a bargain may be had wrong !!
So I think you are right, just have to convince my wife of the immense satisfaction she will achieve by making a set of covers.😀

Millie Master

Forum Member
Has anyone made or had made base and backrest cushions for seating.
I am looking for recommendations for suppliers of finished items, or is it best to source the foam and cover my self

I had my cushions made by a company based in Welshpool when I was living not far away, they supplied the foam but not the material, they were known as Quality Upholstery, but having just done a search I don't think they are still trading.

I bought the material from a company based in Wrexham by the name of Simon Boyd (http://www.simonboyd.com/) where they have quite literally hundreds of rolls of end of line fabrics........... I believe they can also make seating cushions as well, but I know I got a far better deal from the man in Welshpool. The material I bought should have cost over £80 per mtr. and yet we only paid £10 !!

We had been planning to have a firm (green) foam with a bonded on 30mm topping of memory foam, however we were persuaded to only have the firmest of the green foam by the man in Welshpool and boy oh boy how pleased we are with it some 4 years later of quite heavy use and there hasn't been any flattening of the foam and it is better to sleep on than our mega expensive Dunlopillo mattress at home!

Phil

ps. When buying your seat foam and materials, make absolutely certain that they are fire retardent.

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
When I refitted my LWB 608 merc many years ago I used what was called Coach Seat Class Foam. The supplier told me it would be much to hard to sleep on. Some of the best nights sleeps I can remember was on the bed made up from that foam. HM Foam Shelburne road Calne Wiltshire.

groyne

We made some for the van.

WP_20180123_001.jpg

Memory foam from Dunelm, wadding , cotton sleeve and fabric from Boyes.

Millie Master

Forum Member
I don't know anything about this company, but on one of the self help groups I am on, on FaceBook the company known as Community Textiles has recently joined suggesting they undertake bespoke total soft furnishings/seating for self builders like us, their contact details are: -

Tel:- 01709586010 // 07990580577

sales@communitytextiles.org.uk

In the area? Feel free to come in and say hello!

128 Wath road, Mexborough, Doncaster, S649EE

Bouydog

Forum Member
I don't know anything about this company, but on one of the self help groups I am on, on FaceBook the company known as Community Textiles has recently joined suggesting they undertake bespoke total soft furnishings/seating for self builders like us, their contact details are: -

Tel:- 01709586010 // 07990580577

sales@communitytextiles.org.uk

In the area? Feel free to come in and say hello!

128 Wath road, Mexborough, Doncaster, S649EE
I will give them a ring and ask, quick search this morning over £200 just for foam 😦

wildebus

Forum Member
There is a good foam supplier in Glasgow who does mail order.
He did some custom foam for me, cut to the shape I wanted based on paper templates I sent him and two stage foams glued together so suitable for seating and sleeping.
From Memory, I paid around £100 for two sets of benches (bases plus backs) and a full size bed topper (to even out the ridges made from the bench pieces when laid down to form the bed).
I'll see if I can dig out the name if anyone interested

Bouydog

Forum Member
There is a good foam supplier in Glasgow who does mail order.
He did some custom foam for me, cut to the shape I wanted based on paper templates I sent him and two stage foams glued together so suitable for seating and sleeping.
From Memory, I paid around £100 for two sets of benches (bases plus backs) and a full size bed topper (to even out the ridges made from the bench pieces when laid down to form the bed).
I'll see if I can dig out the name if anyone interested
Yes thanks I would be interested.

Pugwash69

Forum Member
I bought some parts from Nabru. I bought my home sofa from them a few years ago and they come unassembled. They sell parts online right down to individual cushions and covers to I bought two base and two rear, along with covers. They arrived with covers fitted and I built my own base to match them. Obviously it's only useful if you're able to make a base to match their cushion sizes, or buy their bases.
This is the base I built along with my new cushions
20190603_114113.jpg
20190605_114303.jpg

Bouydog

Forum Member
My seating foam arrived today four pieces, 106x65cm 106x42cm 168x65 168x42 all 10 cm thick average firm blue covered with stockinette £154 delivered. Bought from GB Foam direct online ordered Friday. Have put it on the seats and sat on it very comfy. 👍

activecampers

Forum Member
To get the below made up, with "professional finish, foam and fabric" on par with branded small conversions, I've had 2 separate quotes, one shy of £1000 and one just north of £1100. That's 3" firm and 2" medium bonded foam with dacron. Includes buttons or finishing stitching etc, and scatter cushions to match

Its a tough call as we *need* it to be the most comfortable going, and want a top finish, but wasn't expecting those sort of prices. But do want a pro finish :(

(ignore CAD image discrepancies!)

sofa.JPG

d-cmw-cm
OS Sofa base
65​
130​
OS sofa back
32.5​
130​
Width Sofa base
65​
130​
Back 1
32.5​
60​
Back 2
32.5​
60​
Back 3
32.5​
45​

Bouydog

Forum Member
Covering fabric arrived yesterday from Dales fabrics Lancaster 8 meters x 54 1/2 inches (why they use metric and imperial I don’t know ) £61 delivered.
All cut to size today ready for the sewing machine driven by my good lady, she will assemble them in the week while I am at work so I don’t interfere !!!

Bouydog

Forum Member
To get the below made up, with "professional finish, foam and fabric" on par with branded small conversions, I've had 2 separate quotes, one shy of £1000 and one just north of £1100. That's 3" firm and 2" medium bonded foam with dacron. Includes buttons or finishing stitching etc, and scatter cushions to match

Its a tough call as we *need* it to be the most comfortable going, and want a top finish, but wasn't expecting those sort of prices. But do want a pro finish :(

(ignore CAD image discrepancies!)

View attachment 2034
d-cmw-cm
OS Sofa base
65​
130​
OS sofa back
32.5​
130​
Width Sofa base
65​
130​
Back 1
32.5​
60​
Back 2
32.5​
60​
Back 3
32.5​
45​
Eek that’s a bit fierce, we are making them ourselves after looking at expensive prices, after some research we are confident of a good finish 🤞🏻. As you say earlier each to their own.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)