Reversing Camera..... which one to go for?

Millie Master

Forum Member
Yes I know, those people who know me will say that I have always poopooed the idea of fitting any kind of reversing camera, but here I am, finally thinking of actually fitting one!!

The reason is that with my health not being anywhere near as good as I would like it to be, I am wanting my most beloved to get used to driving 'Millie' which she steadfastly refuses to do unless she can see very clearly what is happening or rather going on behind when she is attemtping to reverse her.

So I am in the process of deciding which is the best or most practical to fit, the selection being made easier by me only needing a single camera and not one which shows two different sets of images.

Many thanks

Phil

wildebus

Forum Member
This is my tupennies worth, having have numerous cameras, both add-ons and factory fit

1) They are damn useful, no matter how nervous or confident a driver you are, so fitting one makes total sense
2) Get a setup which includes the graduation lines - they really are handy to have for positioning
3) Some people dismiss Wireless systems. I have had multiple examples of both and while the wired systems have tended to have the edge, the wireless ones were 100% totally usable. You don't need Super-HD quality for the purpose it is there for.
4) Buy Cheap, buy twice (or three times or ....). The cheap cameras don't tend to be very waterproof and can have a problem with failing with water ingress or the lens fogging. But the cheap systems are so cheap, it can make sense to just factor in buying replacement cameras!

For your fully converted van, I would go wireless without a doubt as the only disturbance will be getting a power connection to the reversing light to have the camera auto-on on reverse so fidding around with the rear barn door.
You could even wire up to the numberplate light for super-easy installation. Ignore the camera (or turn the monitor off) if lights on when driving; and if it is daytime and want to reverse, just turn the sidelights on for the duration.
And make sure the camera is easy to swap it if fails (don't hard wire it, use detachable connectors like WAGO Lever type ones).
Maybe some like this as a first look? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wireless...668746?hash=item23a2695a4a:g:EB8AAOSw1fJa7U24

wildebus

Forum Member
If you are in the market for a Sat-Nav system as well, the units integrated with the wireless cameras can be very cost-effective.
The first Wireless Camera I had was a combo SatNav/Reversing setup. Cost maybe £50 at the time and as it happens I fitted it to my Renault Master MM 33 100DCi :)
I had limited parking length and it allowed me to get within 1/2" of the otherwise invisible gutter downpipe :D

Reactions: RAW

RAW

Forum Member
Hi Phil
Would you like me to look at the one in Sylvia and tell you what it is? It is good though hard wired
Was fitted by the previous owner at a garage

Millie Master

Forum Member
Hi Phil
Would you like me to look at the one in Sylvia and tell you what it is? It is good though hard wired
Was fitted by the previous owner at a garage

That would be very useful as I believe a hard wired version is more what I am looking for having read the reviews of so many of the wireless types.

My only concern is the length of cable they are supplied with to run from the camera to the control unit as I plan to be running it in armoured ducting underneath dear old 'Millie' before then running it up inside the 'B' pillar and then behind the cab roof lining to the mounting plate for the rear view mirror which of course isn't used in the Master panel vans.

Phil

trevskoda

Forum Member
one from china ebay 25 bucks,working over 5 years no bother
cam 1.jpg
cam 2.jpg

Squiffy

Forum Member
Morning Phil,
I'm still here I log in from time to time to see what's occurring.

As for rear views I have had sterling service from the rear view mirror style monitors and duel rear cameras, I see that you intend to route the cable under Millie and up to the mirror mount in any case, this is how I have done the wiring and would do it in retrospective fitting. The cheapest and best I've found on the market for these camera kits is "DRW Electronics" he advertises in most camper and motorhome mags but is easily found on the internet. The beauty of these is A) It's in the right place to naturally look and B) It's out the way of cluttering the dashboard. Phil

P.s. One other thing ofcourse with a duel camera its rear view and reverse which I find very handy when driving to know what is approaching and how close they are.

Last edited:

Millie Master

Forum Member
Morning Phil,
I'm still here I log in from time to time to see what's occurring.
Phil
/QUOTE]

Hello Phil;

Me too about logging on here, I do so every day only to find that on most days there is zero activity from new builder/converters which is a crying shame as there is a tremendous depth of knowledge here with those people willing to share.

As for the reversing camera, thanks enormously (as always) for your input.

Did you find the cable that came with the camera was long enough and can I presume that your cameras are on the entire time your ignition is on and not being turned on/off when you engage reverse?

Phil

Squiffy

Forum Member
As for the cable Phil, it's more than long enough as I've had to coil it up multiple times at the rear to take up the slack and the same applied when I fitted one to my Swift Sundance which was 7.5 mtr long. I have put the power into the side lights as I never travel without dip beam on it's much safer and in any case its law in a lot of continental countries. The monitor has touch switches so that you can switch between reverse and rear view.Phil.

Squiffy

Forum Member
The one I use is the R12, it can be supplied with 10/15 or 20m of cable, unfortunately the price is high, I bought the monitor off a guy at one of the motorhome show stalls for about 2/3rd price and bought the camera off another vendor ( Cheaper than DRW camera "same camera "but still expensive) the cable I bought from DRW at the same show but you have to be aware that there are a couple of different connectors and unless your prepared to juggle the wiring its far better to get it as an all in one. All in all it cost me about £139 as opposed to the £179 DRW is asking, but none the less he is the cheapest as a kit form. There is no doubt the single down looking reverse camera is the cheapest solution, they can be bought on ebay for a pittance though the quality in picture is questionable as I've used those in the past as well. Phil

Red Dwarf

Forum Member
My set up exactly the same as JackieA, cheap as chips and does the job. With the elwb van the second camera pointing down certainly helps when parking.

Squiffy

Forum Member
I've fitted them to the last three motorhomes that I have owned, the first one was quite expensive 15 years ago but the last one was as you say cheap as chips, honestly I would not fit any other kind, it's just like you have a rear view mirror and as has been mention reversing up to the trailer hitch or just generally reversing and being able to see directly behind and down is great. Phil.

DnK

Forum Member
I fitted the the Renault Master door brake light/reverse (didn't buy from Renault) camera but rather than have separate screens for satnav, reverse camera, dash cam I converted the radio from single to double din head unit and will use copilot for navigation and have the dash cam and reverse cam on the one screen.
99880730-9485-46f2-a10e-f8e9d6a9b549.jpg
c22e8b19-f91c-4141-80a3-7bbd366f574f.jpg
7adab51d-ea58-45c8-881b-095d16949e32-1.jpg

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)