Rear bunk beds?

quilkin

I'm planning converting a Boxer or Ducato (medium/high roof) and considering double bunk beds across the rear, to avoid having folding beds in the living area. The internal width is max 1860mm so not really wide enough for tallest people but that may not matter. Searching the web for ideas shows that it's been done before (some examples here) and Autocampers even made a commercial model for a while. Now discontinued, so presumably didn't sell well.
I would want a storage space under the lower bunk, min 400mm, for a bike. The top bunk would be only for children and have a smaller headroom. My concern is that although it might be perfect for my own needs, it would be difficult to sell later if/when I wanted. Any thoughts?

jaycey001

I think if you are doing the conversion you should have it how you want rather than what its resale value may be.

I keep looking at replacing our van for something else but just cant find a layout that would suit us perfectly and my only real option is a self build. If I did go down that route it would be to fit our needs and be a long term investment rather than what it will be worth later on down the line.

Probably doesn't answer your question but hope its of some help :)

Asterix

If you're going to the trouble of converting van then I'd say do it to suit your requirements,or you'll just end up making compromises for an imaginary future owner,and you'll never be truly happy with the result.
It may limit your market later on but there will be buyers that have similar requirements so I'd say just go for it.

n brown

Forum Member
if i took some future buyer's needs into account before i built a camper, i'd never had built one
i prefer to think that i'll get my value out of the van in fun and adventure, and if i can get some money back when it's time to move on - bonus !

and another thing- when you're selling a van you've put your heart and some of your life into,and the punter's moaning about some stupid detail, maybe you'll understand why i'd rather scrap a van or give it away !

trevskoda

Forum Member
Easy peasy cross beds.
I did mine with small storage under double floor which gave strength,then kids bunks underneath.

groyne

I built my last van to suit my needs, then I did some alterations to it for the new owner so it now suits her needs.

quilkin

Many thanks for the encouraging thoughts!
I'd like to ask two more related questions...
1, can anyone see any potential problems with my bed idea that I haven't thought of?
2, is it crazy of me to attempt a self-build (I'll use pros for fitting windows and some other stuff but I'm OK with house plumbing, electrics etc) when I've so little experience of using a campervan (just a week's hire of a VW Cali in Spain)?

(I've posted the same on 'Motorhomefun', sorry if all the same members see both sites; if so I'll stick to just one in the future!)

Last edited by a moderator:

Asterix

Many thanks for the encouraging thoughts!
I'd like to ask two more related questions...
1, can anyone see any potential problems with my bed idea that I haven't thought of?
2, is it crazy of me to attempt a self-build (I'll use pros for fitting windows and some other stuff but I'm OK with house plumbing, electrics etc) when I've so little experience of using a campervan (just a week's hire of a VW Cali in Spain)?

(I've posted the same on 'Motorhomefun', sorry if all the same members see both sites; if so I'll stick to just one in the future!)

If it's crazy to attempt a self build then I'll have to join you on the psych ward! I'm in the middle of it at the moment,my experience so far is to think how long it will take...then double it. Consider the cost and add 30%.
It will be worth it in the end,knowing you did it yourself,and getting exactly what you want,you'll never get that buying off the shelf.

time4t

Doing a self build is usually the only way to get what YOU want, so build it your way & stuff everyone else!!

Phill

r4dent

Please think about the number of travel seats you will fit. You can always sort extra sleeping out when you get there (tent for kids or adults), but if you don't have enough travel seats you will end up in your own drive every weekend.

Roger

Please think about the number of travel seats you will fit. You can always sort extra sleeping out when you get there (tent for kids or adults), but if you don't have enough travel seats you will end up in your own drive every weekend.

That's a good point as seats are supposed to tested if they have seat belts fitted. Plenty of suppliers of rock n roll beds with seat belts but really exxy.

Back to the bunk beds - ventilation is all important so how/where will you put opening windows or vents at each level.

Young kids are easy to get into a top bunk - what about young teens when they are a lot bigger? Ladder or cutouts in nearby cabinets?

Experience also tells me that placement of almost anything in a van is limited by what you can mount it onto - its no good building bunks that need lumps of 4 x 4 to support them as it will be way too heavy. Ideally you want to make use of the vehicle structure as much as possible to mount things. Sketch things out using the crossmember spacing to mount things.

delicagirl

i may be wrong but i think that you might not get insurance if you have side facing seating in the back (which is used for travelling/seat belts rather than just for lounging around on site) ..... others who know better may come along and discuss this point....

mark61

Forum Member
That's a good point as seats are supposed to tested if they have seat belts fitted. Plenty of suppliers of rock n roll beds with seat belts but really exxy.

Back to the bunk beds - ventilation is all important so how/where will you put opening windows or vents at each level.

Young kids are easy to get into a top bunk - what about young teens when they are a lot bigger? Ladder or cutouts in nearby cabinets?

Experience also tells me that placement of almost anything in a van is limited by what you can mount it onto - its no good building bunks that need lumps of 4 x 4 to support them as it will be way too heavy. Ideally you want to make use of the vehicle structure as much as possible to mount things. Sketch things out using the crossmember spacing to mount things.

Mate did similar rear bed layout in his Sprinter. 4 belted seats, sleeps 3.

The Scopema is probably the nicest r&r bed, also the most expensive. As far as I know belted seats don't need to be tested, some are some aren't, but none of them are tested fitted in the range of vehicles, it's just the construction of the seat thats tested. Finding a single r&r bed that I liked was probably one of the harder things in doing my van, I eventually got one fabricated. Next time a scopema one is going in.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)