Putting A Panasonic Solar Panel On An Auto-Sleeper - Part 2

StreetSleeper

Forum Member
The object of this follow on was to enable me to lift the solar panels manually to get better directional sunlight. First job, remove the bolts so the panel can be lifted from one end.

DSCN3411.JPG

This was easily achieved by using tailgate drop catches with rubber O rings underneath to give a nice snug fit.

DSCN3412.JPG

This is the start of the lifting. I used awning legs that will be cut to the correct length.

DSCN3415.JPG

As mentioned previously, the tubing is the same size as motorcycle handlebars and so I opted to use wing mirror clamps with rose joints to allow for the pivoting.

DSCN3417.JPG

I found by having the wing mirror bracket horizontal gave the best position for the pivot arm. If it was perpendicular it would have touched the solar panel.

DSCN3419.JPG

This is the top rose joint and I will sandwich it between two pieces of angle iron with a bolt going through the middle.

DSCN3420.JPG

The strut on it's back, just to give you some idea of what it should look like. When finally fitted it will be on it's side not as in picture.

DSCN3421.JPG

Fixing the legs to the solar panel frame. Job consisted of cutting four pieces of angle iron the same width as the support frame and drilling four holes. I found it easier to space the two angle brackets out with washers the correct thickness of the rose joint and then use it to mark both positions where the legs go.

DSCN3425.JPG

Leg bolted in position.

DSCN3427.JPG

Side view of the bracket.

DSCN3430.JPG

To stop the panel from lifting I fitteda piece of angle iron with a slot on one side and two holes drilled on the other, bolted in the centre between the two solar panels.

DSCN3432.JPG

Held down with a strap..........it should be safe now. I left the base of the clips and removed the blades so now they are being used as location pins.

DSCN3433.JPG

Rae

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)