Pump and Tap needed

wildebus

Forum Member
Right ...

I am about to fit out my Galley Kitchen and need to get a pump to feed the tap. And also need the tap!

Don't Want: Submersible Pump and Microswitch fitted tap

Want: Tap with flexible outlet. I like this sort of idea ... Modern Monobloc Kitchen Mixer Tap With Pull out Hose Spray Single Lever Chrome | eBay
View attachment 63092
I only have a cold-water system so will probably connect cold and hot together with a Y-Peice.
Specs say minimum pressure 1 Bar so I think that makes it a Low Pressure tap and suitable to be fed from a container and pump?
Thoughts?

Pump that works on-demand when tap is turn on. I would prefer to have a setup where the pump turns itself on and off as required.
This kind of jobby I think would do the job ... FULLY AUTOMATIC DIAPHRAGM WATER PUMP 12 VOLT CAMPER MOTORHOME 100psi SELF BUILD | eBay

Thoughts on Pump? Suitable for the tap in the first link?

The Sink itself is probably going to be a SMEV 8006 Sink with Glass Lid as that is what I happen to have 'in stock' and is the right kind of size (need to blank out the tap hole as well, but that will be simple enough.
Might need to get a waste system (can't recall if I used the original one with the last SMEV hob/sink I fitted or if that came with one as well?)

oppy

Hi, if you're in desperate need, I've got my spare / emergency Sureflo pump that you are more than welcome to. It is an old model (1021) but has a rate of 1.4 gpm. I had it for our caravans, I installed it in one for a while and then I gave the van away but removed the pump first and it has been on a shelf for the last few years, so if you want it--'tis yours

wildebus

Forum Member
I'm not in desperate need but I do like a bargain and also want to plumb in everything by end of next week, so guess 'urgent' might fit the description?

If you don't want it (you do say 'emergency' so do you not want to keep in case?) then be happy to buy it :)

oppy

I'm not in desperate need but I do like a bargain and also want to plumb in everything by end of next week, so guess 'urgent' might fit the description?

If you don't want it (you do say 'emergency' so do you not want to keep in case?) then be happy to buy it :)

I don't do selling, if you want it, it's yours.......................pm me

exwindsurfer

Forum Member

Fazerloz

Didn't know they tested the taps on a Mot. Do they look in the toilet as well. :scared:

wildebus

Forum Member
Not a great image of the actual Tap, but this is it installed last Thursday (wanted to get Hob, Sink and Tap fitted before MOT so it all looked like had the requirements of a 'Motor Caravan' and so able to be tested as Class 4)

Clarence Kitchen
by David, on Flickr
Tap has 360 degree turn so the spray can also be directed outside for rinsing big/mucky stuff we don't want in sink :)

wildebus

Forum Member
Didn't know they tested the taps on a Mot. Do they look in the toilet as well. :scared:
Oh yes. Not read the "MOT Requirements. Motor Caravan testing procedure" .gov.uk document?
You will find the toilet testing regime deep in the bowels of the PDF, close to the bottom. Testers must follow procedures #1 and #2 and if satisfied it meets the "Portable Lavatory Oscillation Procedure" Test, then the Job is done :ninja:

FringeDweller

Nice installation

I looked at your flikr photo set and the one that jumped out at me was the fuse board at the back of that narrow cupboard, I'd hate to have to reach in there when troubleshooting a failure.

wildebus

Forum Member
I looked at your flikr photo set and the one that jumped out at me was the fuse board at the back of that narrow cupboard, I'd hate to have to reach in there when troubleshooting a failure.
Not a problem. I've added 3 or 4 wires and changed fuses while it has been in there. (I work it how I will maintain something before I finalize a location)

FringeDweller

I agree with the posters who recommend the schureflo type of pumps.
I've always had them on my previous 3 rigs but the Hymer has those damn micro-switches and a submerged pump.

Means I can't fit a standard over the sink water filter tap. as it won't activate the pump.

The vehicles where I've had schureflos (?) have always been at 30-40 psi with plastic plumbing, no need for any more.

Any ideas for an inline water filter that I could insert in the water pump outlet which would then filter everything coming out of the tank ?

james

wildebus

Forum Member
So an update ....
Tap fitted as per earlier post and pics.

Onto the pump:
Oppy very kindly sent me his spare/emergency Shurflo pump which arrived on Sunday. I splashed out on new pipe from pump to water supply (via filter) and a different 3/8" Adapter to suit the 12mm JG pipe I got to run to the tap. Also thought I may as well strip down the filter while I was refreshing the pipes.

I've not used a Shurflo pump before and from reading info on-line they should self-prime from dry but this didn't seem to happen? I stopped the pump after a few minutes and sucked water up and reconnected the pipe to the inlet, restarted pump and away she went :)
Disconnected the pipework to refit the filter and same problem. Left pump longer this time and still no priming. So disconnected again; sucked up the water again; reconnected and away she went again.

I don't really want to have to do this each time the water runs dry so is there something I am missing here? Should I just leave it to prime for 10 or 20 odd minutes? Some other technique Shurflo owners could advise on?
One possible reason comes to mind ... right now I have a fair bit of excess pipe in a loop sitting vertically - could that be the issue as it is both above and below the pump position? (not trimmed to length yet)

Deleted member 1540

Never had an issue with Shurflo priming and I empty the tank at the end of each trip.

I think you're right about the loop of pipework causing the problem.

Nabsim

Forum Member
Only had the one Shurflo that is in mh now and that is sited approx top of clean water tank with no slack in the inlet pipe. Turn pump on and it primes very quickly (if there is enough water in tank that is :) ) then slight delay before it has pressure at all outlets. I doubt there is a minute from turning on to done. Loop sounds like it may be the problem, Oppy could tell you though as he knows the pump

Last edited:

wildebus

Forum Member
I did mention to Oppy, but the pump has been in storage for years.
I'll cut the pipework down a bit and see how she she goes (the shop had a length available and I just took the whole lot (3.5M and probably twice as much as I need, hence the [temporary] loop).
Not sure yet where to mount it to reduce the vibration in use. As only on for a few minutes a day, not that important I guess (seems to be more from pipes vibrating in fact)

Oh - one other question. Wired up a switch in the kitchen to turn the pump power on and off.
When the pump has power it starts up as soon as the tap is opened, as expected. But when tap is closed the pump does a little kick every so often. What is that about?

PS. If it sounds like I am moaning about how a FREE pump is working, not at all. Just a product that I am unfamiliar with and have questions about and I know others will know a lot more than I.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)