Powered terrestrial tv aerials

NickB

I've bought a Cello rechargeable battery tv (model C22277T2--S2 (for my van.
It came with a (through the cable) 5v powered active aerial which works ok but is obviously unsuitable for outside fixing.
Any suggestions for a 5v active omnidirectional roof aerial (I'd prefer the amplifier/active part to be powered through the
20190808_124020.jpg
cable.)

trevskoda

Forum Member
Most boosters are 12v and can be got from a old caravan,then use a end feed yagi from asda at around 6 bucks

NickB

Yup most are 12v and most caravan aerial amplifiers are inside the caravan.
Perhaps a bit of explanation is in order why I asked for suggestions regarding 5v and antenna with the gain block near to the dipole element:
I've been a radio ham (GW0MOQ class A)since the early 1990s and it's hard to get away from good practice that is.. every amplifier amplifies every thing it sees on its input. So any 'noise' which enters the cabling between the resonant dipole and the amplifier input is amplified in addition to the wanted signal. Which generally is not a good thing.
I mentioned the claimed Hama gain of 18db.... is that dbi or dbd?.... a retailer can get away with vague a specifiation much in the same way that audio amplifiers output can be expressed as music power, RMS or peak.
I hope that this explains why I am looking for suggestions for roof mounted (to benefit from the vans metal roof / ground plane. ), 5v because that's what the TV provides, and the reason why I want the amplifier at the antenna.
Yagi are directional and polarised so require pointing. Omnidirectional don't but admittedly have less gain, which makes the amplifier class and location important.
If anyone has a suggestion for others like the ebay Hama ones I really would love to check them out.
Nick

NickB

This evening I borrowed a Necvox ANT-536 (circa £38) it received all the local Free view channels and it's owner uses it daily around London and home counties and says it's very good... occasionally he has to pop it on the side of his van for a better signal... I'm guessing that's in areas where there is only a weak horizontally polarised signal.
I'm still looking for an active antenna but has anyone tried this Necvox in remote areas?

Reactions: RAW

wildebus

Forum Member
This evening I borrowed a Necvox ANT-536 (circa £38) it received all the local Free view channels and it's owner uses it daily around London and home counties and says it's very good... occasionally he has to pop it on the side of his van for a better signal... I'm guessing that's in areas where there is only a weak horizontally polarised signal.
I'm still looking for an active antenna but has anyone tried this Necvox in remote areas?
had one. Pants.
sent it back and got it exchanged. New one Pants

I guess I am usually in remote areas but TBH I found it generally poor. What was worse is that someone next to me at a VW Show had a super cheap ariel similar in design and that worked well!
I added a cheap booster and that did make a difference but still pretty rubbish for the money.

PS. I have mine for sale. It's a super little jobby ;)

But seriously, folk on the VW Forum tend to rave about it and if you look at this link - https://amzn.to/31xSaSf - the reviews are very much on the very positive so maybe just me? I did take a different TV with me one trip to see if that would make a difference and not a lot.

NickB

A trial this afternon:-

Cello (supplied) active antenna hung facing through windscreen in the direction of transmitter...... 92 TV Channels.

Necvox ANT-636 passive magnetic antenna on top of van (omnidirectional)....
49 TV Channels.

Checked the scans twice.

Don't shoot the messenger.✋

wildebus

Forum Member
A trial this afternon:-

Cello (supplied) active antenna hung facing through windscreen in the direction of transmitter...... 92 TV Channels.

Necvox ANT-636 passive magnetic antenna on top of van (omnidirectional)....
49 TV Channels.

Checked the scans twice.

Don't shoot the messenger.✋
I can believe it

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
I've been a radio ham (GW0MOQ class A)since the early 1990s
Hello Nick, I was G1CTR before I was brave enough to go out side ;)

Mark

Squiffy

Forum Member
I use the maxi view Tv/Fm arial with booster and find it really good for both radio and Tv, admittedly its relatively expensive at around £70 but it does at least work and is streamline and not ugly in appearance. Phil

Not 5volt though Nick ☹

RAW

Forum Member
With 4G being pretty prevalent and 5G coming online then why not use a data stream instead ?
So a firestick or even some sort of Kodi box would work well nowadays and not require holes drilled through roof or addition of any aerial.
Just an idea

NickB

Yes.. you are absolutely right I'm looking at this approach as well.
Cost of data, coverage, fair use and proportion of 'European' use allowed are slowly edging favourably in the right direction.

Squiffy

Forum Member
Think it will be a while yet before it would become financially viable as opposed to comparatively free freesat or freeview terrestrial, not to mention the vast holes in coverage of 3G 4G and 5G that exist in the UK, admittedly on the continent the coverage is far superior than that in the UK. But until the cost is greatly reduced it is not the way I personally would go. Phil

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
Not wanting to be a killjoy, but taking out the TV is something I don't regret. I expect I might feel different if I was away as long as some of you.

Mark

NickB

Morning Phil / Mark.... yes I'm edging my bets, the cost has to reflect usage.
As you know I go off on 1-3month jaunts. And as much as I would like to say NO TV and spend my time outside doing the tourist or exploring things, there are days and evenings when a bit of tele is called for.
I've got a Kathrein Satellite system in the garage which will probably end up on the roof but for now a bit of free view is all that's called for.

wildebus

Forum Member
Personally I enjoy watching TV and see nothing wrong with having a TV in your campervan.
Having said that, the Cello TV in my own Camper lives in a box in a cupboard and hasn't been used since attempting to get a signal for the World Cup Finals weekend back in July 2018 as my Nexvox Aeriel is so rubbish and can't be arsed to source a new one that doesn't take up too much room.

(I tend to watch stuff on a tablet, laptop or occasionally a projector fed by a Amazon Firestick or NowTV stick via Mobile Internet)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)