Peugeot Boxer oil filler point

Minisorella

I hope this isn't a dumb question but it's certainly a puzzle. Under the hood of my January 2006 (55 plate) Boxer 2.2hdi, there are 2 separate oil filler points. - one at the front and one much further back. The manual doesn't mention two or tell you which one to use. Does anyone know why there are 2 or which one I should be using to top up? They're both clearly marked with the oil can graphic.

Last edited by a moderator:

Darcar

Forum Member
Morden engines are fitted into a lot of different vehicles, so the makers will often put in oil filling points in different places so there not blocked by the bulkhead etc.

I don’t think it matters which one you use, so whichever is easiest.
Darcar.

Millie Master

Forum Member
Are the two filler caps exactly the same and as such interchangeable? If they are then I believe Darrens reply might be correct, however in all my very many years of mucking around with motors, I have never ever seen any engine installation with two engine oil filling points.

Possibly if @Squiffy is around, as he is a retired garage proprietor/owner he might have some light he could shine on this perplexing matter of yours?

I have seen several under bonnet engine installations where there are two oil filling points, but in every single case the 2nd lubrication filling point has been for an automatic gearbox.

Good luck

Phil

Minisorella

OK, I've managed to get a few pics. Even the manual doesn't show a second oil filler cap but it's there alright.
As you can see, they're two different sizes and the one further back with the yellow sticker has some kind of graphic that might be a clue but I don't know what it means!

20190221_124559.jpg
20190221_111043.jpg
20190221_111004.jpg

LibertyHall

Forum Member
Appears to be just Peugeot that do it according to our friendly vehicle technician we don’t have one on our 07 Ducato. Reason is they may fit it in other vehicles as Darcar mentioned
Ken

Millie Master

Forum Member
OK, I've managed to get a few pics.

Looking at the photographs of your engine compartment (nice and clean I must say), the graphic symbols on both of the filling points is certainly the design used on engine oil filing points.
Very obviously the one that is set into the metal cam/cover is exceptionally difficult to get a large oil can close to when topping up, whereas the plastic one at the front is far more accessible. Would it be possible for you to have a grovle around underneath or rather through the front grill and see where the tube from this forward filling point goes to?

From what I can see, I would lay a fairly large wager on it being safe for you to use the front filling point.

Last edited:

Minisorella

Thanks everyone (y) I had visions of pouring the wrong oil into somewhere it had no business to be! :eek:

I haven't had to worry overly much about this before because I didn't do enough miles to make any kind of dent on the dipstick between services but I'm spreading my wings a lot further these days and need to get a handle on the mysteries of what lies under the bonnet :giggle:

Garywrench

My 2018 Boxer came with an adaptor you use to put the oil in , extends the filler point up to the front panel , quite where you are supposed to put it once used I don’t know !

Millie Master

Forum Member
My 2018 Boxer came with an adaptor you use to put the oil in , extends the filler point up to the front panel , quite where you are supposed to put it once used I don’t know !

My 2008 Renault Master also has a lengthy and strangely shaped funnel supplied as part of its kit, it is essential to use it when filling or topping up with oil as the filling point is almost impossible to get to!
Phil

Minisorella

Answers on a postcard? :D

My 2008 Renault Master also has a lengthy and strangely shaped funnel supplied as part of its kit, it is essential to use it when filling or topping up with oil as the filling point is almost impossible to get to!
Phil
Now I'm beginning to think of the extra filler point as a bonus rather than a puzzle (y) :)

Squiffy

Forum Member
I use a flexi funnel for filling with oil, Ducato's are slow fillers in any case so you have to take care when pouring, in fact most modern overhead cam engines are slow fillers, if you don't fill slowly you end up with golden syrup all over the cam cover and down the front and rear of the engine block 😡 Phil

Millie Master

Forum Member
If you don't fill slowly you end up with golden syrup all over the cam cover and down the front and rear of the engine block 😡 Phil

The very same with a Renault Master, mind you I have never had to top up between my annual (on the drive) services. :)
Phil

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)