NOT MY VAN - Lovely LDV Horsebox on EBAY if anyone is interested

RAW

Forum Member
Was doing a bit of research on the possibility of future self-builds and seeing what was out there in a semi-finished state and came across this.
Looks really nice and done to a high standard, as the listing says it needs a bit more work doing but the majority of things have been completed very well IMO
If I had the money I would be tempted and change from Sylvia to this, but would be longer than Sylvia so hard to park where I live as restricted space
Anyway if anyone is looking, like I say, she looks really good. NB NO recommendation or personal knowledge of the seller
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LDV-Horsebox-Camper-Conversion/293252087928

trevskoda

Forum Member
Just think of weight,light plastic bathroom paneling would have been a better choice.
Wonder is it reg as a motorcaravan.

Reactions: RAW

wildebus

Forum Member
That looks really nice I think. The Wood burner is a nice touch (though terribly impractical IMO).
Going to disagree with Trev there ... plastic panelling would be horrible there and totally spoil it. I can't see weight is an issue there at all. It is what, a 5t or so GVW and can't imagine being close to that. I have a lot of MDF and 18" standard ply in my build and even with 200Kg of Batteries, full water and fuel tanks and all bits and pieces plus 2 occupants I am still under 4tonne (and when mine was empty it was an awful ride as the suspension was wanting a good load in place).

RAW

Forum Member
That looks really nice I think. The Wood burner is a nice touch (though terribly impractical IMO).
Going to disagree with Trev there ... plastic panelling would be horrible there and totally spoil it....
I agree, I don't think plastic panelling would look anywhere near as good.
I would really like to have a Wood Burner for the off-grid-ability of the Van as will be something like a second or main home for me in a couple of years. Also I feel a wood burner would make it more comfortable and homely, though I agree they can be impractical in some ways. The small ones designed for Vans, tents and the like would be good though IMO

wildebus

Forum Member
Ref my comment on woodburners ... two things I think are against them.
1) The amount of wood they go through and you have to carry it with you somewhere. And if inside, you carry all the creepy-crawlies that like to live amongst the wood
2) The smell. Seems nice until everything takes on the tinge of burnt wood which is very easy in such a small space.

I used to have a multi-fuel stove in my house when I lived in Devon and it was nice to have and cosy and all that, but you sure noticed the fresh air after leaving the room after using the stove!
There are a couple of super-small models that I have seen in Campers on some Youtube channels and I was very tempted to get one when I was working out my current build but reality kicked in :)

Check out these two from JustinCredible in Canada
(just noticed he has a Zebra deal going on as well :D🦓🦓🦓🦓 )

And his older setup

wildebus

Forum Member
All though looking like it has a clean finish, reminds me of living in a shed! (don't ask) You could buy Murky for not much more ;)
I was thinking more of being in a Sauna :) I like the wood, but I think I would maybe paint some of it a chalky white to ease up on the pine cabin effect a bit. :)

RAW

Forum Member
Ref my comment on woodburners ... two things I think are against them.
1) The amount of wood they go through and you have to carry it with you somewhere. And if inside, you carry all the creepy-crawlies that like to live amongst the wood
2) The smell. Seems nice until everything takes on the tinge of burnt wood which is very easy in such a small space.

I used to have a multi-fuel stove in my house when I lived in Devon and it was nice to have and cosy and all that, but you sure noticed the fresh air after leaving the room after using the stove!
There are a couple of super-small models that I have seen in Campers on some Youtube channels and I was very tempted to get one when I was working out my current build but reality kicked in :)

What do you use for heating now then ?

wildebus

Forum Member
What do you use for heating now then ?
At Home? Oil Burner feeding Rads upstairs and Underfloor Heating on ground floor. No Open Fire or Stove fitted, which is a shame as it can be nice on occasions :)
Camper has a Chinese Diesel Heater that runs off the same fuel as the Oil Burner (I pump out the Kerosene from the bunded tank in the garden).

RAW

Forum Member
Camper has a Chinese Diesel Heater that runs off the same fuel as the Oil Burner (I pump out the Kerosene from the bunded tank in the garden).
Ah OK - I sort of like the look and price of the Chinese diesel heaters but would then be three fuels for the Van which seems impractical, LPG / Petrol and Diesel. I would have to fit a diesel tank and a way to fill it whereas with some sort of blown air LPG system everything is in place without having to do too much major work.

wildebus

Forum Member
Ah OK - I sort of like the look and price of the Chinese diesel heaters but would then be three fuels for the Van which seems impractical, LPG / Petrol and Diesel. I would have to fit a diesel tank and a way to fill it whereas with some sort of blown air LPG system everything is in place without having to do too much major work.
If you did go Chinese then yes you would need a tank, but the amount of fuel they use is very small/
I actually can monitor the fuel use now using the Victron GX and I was away a few weeks ago and used the heater a few times over a 7 day period - recorded 206ml worth of fuel used. I have a pair of linked 5L tanks and top them up very infrequently. Some people actually use a small tank located in the Engine bay for ease of filling but I am not sure that is such a good idea!
A Diesel Heater would give an backup system which could be good but as you say, 3 different fuels could be awkward. You could even just carry a 5L jerry can for diesel and dip the fuel line in it when you want to use it?

trevskoda

Forum Member
Going to disagree with Trev there ... plastic panelling would be horrible there and totally spoil it. I can't see weight is an issue there at all. It is what, a 5t or so GVW and can't imagine being close to that. I have a lot of MDF and 18" standard ply in my build and even with 200Kg of Batteries, full water and fuel tanks and all bits and pieces plus 2 occupants I am still under 4tonne (and when mine was empty it was an awful ride as the suspension was wanting a good load in place).
More weight more fuel burnt,does look like a shed though im sure warm.

Chris Evans001

Forum Member
Maybe have a look ? Would be interested in what you think of it close-up
Would be happy to go and have a look if anyone is serious about it.
It's in the same postcode as me but would still take me half hour to get there.
Relatively just down the road I suppose!

RAW

Forum Member
Looks like it ended at £7000 and no-one offered what the seller wanted and now it is relisted as
It's in the same postcode as me but would still take me half hour to get there.
I am not "serious" as don't have Bank Roll for it unless something dramatic changes in very near future.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)