Mobility converted van to camper conversion

Jw88

Hi,

Does anyone know anything about buying a mobility converted vehicle, I’m looking primarily at Kangoo’s, to convert into a camper?

Is it possible?

They seem to be a lot cheaper..

Cheers

harrow

Forum Member
Hi,

Does anyone know anything about buying a mobility converted vehicle, I’m looking primarily at Kangoo’s, to convert into a camper?

Is it possible?

Cheers

It's possible, but is it big enough for you to live in ?

Would you want a toilet and shower ?

Jw88

Well I'm pretty sure I want to go with a Kangoo conversion, so its really just whether the alterations made to the mobility ones are an issue or not when converting. Wondering if anyone has done it..

janner

to be perfectly honest i was thinking along the same lines then after a bit of thought i realised that a person with the real need of a mobility adapted vehicle and of limited means may be able to make better use of a 2nd hand 'budget' wheelchair accessible vehicle.it would be a bit iffy if disabled peeps were priced out of the used mobility vehicles market by camper converters!,i instead started looking for a doblo/berlingo/kangoo type car/van with an upwards opening rear door which is not often found on the wheelchair vans and is [imo]better for camping as an 'extension' awning can be easily made,
all the best.
jan.
leaving damp Kernow today after 3 weeks of bliss.

Last edited by a moderator:

1807truckman

Forum Member
Hi, we've just bought a wheelchair access vehicle, they tend to be more expensive than std vehicles but give better headroom, most converted ones tend to have rear tailgates as opposed to rear doors, the fuel tanks are usually smaller due to the rear floor being lowered so the fuel tank has to be altered to allow for that.

Graham

gypo

There is a camper conversion of a kangoo called a joey, although a tad small.
D

Jw88

to be perfectly honest i was thinking along the same lines then after a bit of thought i realised that a person with the real need of a mobility adapted vehicle and of limited means may be able to make better use of a 2nd hand 'budget' wheelchair accessible vehicle.it would be a bit iffy if disabled peeps were priced out of the used mobility vehicles market by camper converters!,i instead started looking for a doblo/berlingo/kangoo type car/van with an upwards opening rear door which is not often found on the wheelchair vans and is [imo]better for camping as an 'extension' awning can be easily made,
all the best.
jan.
leaving damp Kernow today after 3 weeks of bliss.

Fair enough, but most of the vehicles I'm coming across seem to be mobility adapted..! No shortage..

campervanannie

Forum Member
Hi,

Is it possible?

Cheers

A mobility converted vehicle Kangoos Doblos usually have a dropped floor and a ramp so you loose space with the ramp and have to build the floor back up better off buying a Doblo/kangoo van/ car also you will find mobility converted are usually a couple of grand dearer than an unconverted of same make model and age I know I own one for mobility needs.

IanH

In reality, if you can't have standing head room, proper beds which means you don't have to rebuild the interior every night, and a proper washroom with proper toilet, then you'd be much better off with a cheap secondhand caravan. Know that's a swear word on here, but we've just looked at Mazda Bongos and found them lacking in virtually every respect apart form size as a useable car

Martlet

Hi,

Is it possible?

Cheers

Hi there,

My van is a Citroen Dispatch that was originally a mobility vehicle, as others have said it has a dropped floor that slopes up from the rear ramp, which gives me enough headroom to stand at the cooker and move around inside the van. Conversion involved cutting the rear ramp level with the bottom of the rear doors and fitting a fixed bed cum seat that can be made into a double, there is also a two hob burner and a sink. Accepted by the authorities as a motor caravan and insured as such. A detachable table can be attached to the lengthwise cabinet unit which enables me to sit down to dinner; by using two of the bedboards as seats it is possible to have three persons sat around the table. Big draw back for some is that it requires some agility to live in it for any length of time, and it does not have a shower.

Regards,
Martlet.

trevskoda

Forum Member
Seen a few done but to be honest just about ok for a single chap of surfing at weekend,if i were you go for a good van which will be about the same money,head room toilet come wash room proper kitchen and a bed.

transitcat

Hi there,

My van is a Citroen Dispatch that was originally a mobility vehicle, as others have said it has a dropped floor that slopes up from the rear ramp, which gives me enough headroom to stand at the cooker and move around inside the van. Conversion involved cutting the rear ramp level with the bottom of the rear doors and fitting a fixed bed cum seat that can be made into a double, there is also a two hob burner and a sink. Accepted by the authorities as a motor caravan and insured as such. A detachable table can be attached to the lengthwise cabinet unit which enables me to sit down to dinner; by using two of the bedboards as seats it is possible to have three persons sat around the table. Big draw back for some is that it requires some agility to live in it for any length of time, and it does not have a shower.

Regards,
Martlet.

Your van looks great. How much extra headroom does the lowered floor give you exactly?

Martlet

Your van looks great. How much extra headroom does the lowered floor give you exactly?

The distance from floor to roof at the rear by the cooker is 63 inches (I have to lean forward whilst cooking), and at the forward end of the slope it is 58 inches.
I forgot to mention that the original double passenger seat was swapped for a single, so that one can get from the driving position into the habitation area without leaving the van; but one has to duck under the curtain rail that divides the areas (the rail is screwed to the forward pillars of the side door frames). Now you can see why I mentioned the need for agility.

Regards,
Martlet.

P.S. Chay Blythe rowed across the Atlantic ocean in a boat smaller than my van.

Last edited by a moderator:

hairydog

Here's a different take on this

I don't know if this is still the case, but it may be.

A vehicle that was constructed or adapted for a disabled person used to be sold (new) net of VAT. As a result, disabled people could buy a new motorhome, keep it a year or two then sell it for more than it cost them new.

Buying secondhand and converting, you'd lose that benefit.

Of course this loophole may have been closed, but it is worth checking.

transitcat

The distance from floor to roof at the rear by the cooker is 63 inches (I have to lean forward whilst cooking), and at the forward end of the slope it is 58 inches.
I forgot to mention that the original double passenger seat was swapped for a single, so that one can get from the driving position into the habitation area without leaving the van; but one has to duck under the curtain rail that divides the areas (the rail is screwed to the forward pillars of the side door frames). Now you can see why I mentioned the need for agility.

Regards,
Martlet.

P.S. Chay Blythe rowed across the Atlantic ocean in a boat smaller than my van.

Interesting. Don't suppose you have any more pictures of it?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)