Mercedes 811D 1989

• Thread starter stewarttownsend
  • Start date

stewarttownsend

Morning

So I have a 1989 Mercedes 811D that I've just spent a fortune having welding done to save it, trouble is in the meantime the accelerator cable that goes from the pedal to the lever on the engine has snapped and I'm attempting to find a new one.

It has been suggested to have one made but I seem to have found one that I think fits in Germany but as it's so old and not standard hard to clarify parts.

Anyone else got similar base vehicles and had this changed? (it's not the tick over cable) its this cable below.

I think it part number 110 on here A6733010023

https://cat.iparts.ee/mercedes?get_...&set_sasubgrp=0&param=&client=1#undefined#110

Any thoughts, appreciated.

Also the rear passenger lights has corroded at the rear so need that replacing, before can take for a MOT

IMG_4165.JPG
IMG_4167.JPG

Darcar

Forum Member
Great van. I’m a massive fan of the Mercedes t1/2s having had a 608 and a 709.
Now got the 814 vario, so really glad to see that you’ve saved another one from the dreaded tin-worm..

I guess you have obviously tried Mercedes main dealers!
I have always found them bloody good at finding older parts, unfortunately though as yours is rhd then it becomes more difficult. I think the one you’ve linked to is for a lhd vehicle.

What rear lights are you looking for? If it’s the original plastic type then they fit both sides ( simply upside down. ).
I think I’v got at least one somewhere in the shed! If you post a picture I’ll have a look.
Welcome to the fourm and good luck with your build.
Darcar..

stewarttownsend

Cable I managed to get out after two hours of bashing the hell out of the rusted screws and brackets. Now sending it off to be made up, yep the rust was worse than I thought and £2k later !!!!!! which I thought would be 1K its not falling apart again. Joy is to build it out and it will last another 30 years lol.

Yep the passenger side rear light cluster (reverse) its the internals that are knackered that I need to source, just found the market light for drivers side and next thing is a piece missing on the dashboard where the speedo is.

Not like there are scrap yards to go hunting in, but want to make sure she stays on the road.

Ill have a roller shutter mechanism available off this once it starts getting converted.

Attachments

• merc8111dside.jpg
    merc8111dside.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 789
  • camperside3.jpg
    camperside3.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 624

Darcar

Forum Member
eBay is your friend for the bits you need, also remember German eBay.

One thing that is for sure if you keep on top of the body work the mechanicals and chassis will never let you down. These old Mercs are capable of a million miles.
Yours being the 811 won’t have very much in the way of electrical management so even better.
Just keep it serviced and it will last for years.
Darren.

Millie Master

Forum Member
Just keep it serviced and it will last for years.
Darren.

Mind you Darren, as the years go by and emission regulations become ever tighter then there will forever and ever increasingly stringent emission regulations coming into force!
Already in the UK there is already the London emission zone where your beauty is no doubt not allowed, as there are also several cities in France and Germany and no doubt numerous other locations throughout Europe with their numbers being on the increase.

No doubt there is already a special EU department sticking their damnable noses into it and I honestly do believe that in the not too distant future, I can sadly see that any vehicle which isn't able to satisfy the ever tightening emission regs. will be quite literally taxed off the road or simply banned!!

Yes, no doubt certain types of classic cars will be allowed but as for those of us who so proudly own older heavy oil burning commercial vehicles then there days might well be numbered and that for me will be a very sad one.

Phil

stewarttownsend

It will be sad if taken off the road due to emissions, these engines will then have to be stripped out and a washing machine motor stuck in and ship the engine off to Africa where it will last another 30 years.

Ive looked on german ebay its a treasure trove :) Now to find these lights part numbers got the market light its the rear light and interior.

stewarttownsend

I've just spoken to Steve at Drake Commercials, he has opened my eyes in terms of updating the engine and getting more MPG.

Hopefully, he also has some of the parts I need to get her to MOT station, the accelerator cable I'm going to send off to be made as I can't source anywhere.

Attachments

• IMG_4223 (2).JPG
    IMG_4223 (2).JPG
    89.6 KB · Views: 566

stewarttownsend

He has got the magic accelerator cable its coming on Tuesday !!! my god its made my day.

Darcar

Forum Member
Mind you Darren, as the years go by and emission regulations become ever tighter then there will forever and ever increasingly stringent emission regulations coming into force!
Already in the UK there is already the London emission zone where your beauty is no doubt not allowed, as there are also several cities in France and Germany and no doubt numerous other locations throughout Europe with their numbers being on the increase.

No doubt there is already a special EU department sticking their damnable noses into it and I honestly do believe that in the not too distant future, I can sadly see that any vehicle which isn't able to satisfy the ever tightening emission regs. will be quite literally taxed off the road or simply banned!!

Yes, no doubt certain types of classic cars will be allowed but as for those of us who so proudly own older heavy oil burning commercial vehicles then there days might well be numbered and that for me will be a very sad one.

Phil
Yeah Phil,
It’s been in the back of my mind for awhile now! I just hope that they stick to cities, we don’t really like them & if we do go we stay well outside and go in by public transport or taxi.

The stupid thing is that even if our “old dirty van” kicks out the dangerous particulates while driving it’s 8000 miles a year, it’s still got to be better for the environment than building a new van? If you take into account the effort needed to build it and then to recycle the old one.
I’m not a great believer in recycling ! Reuse must be much better solution?
But hay I’m never going to change the world.....
Darren

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
Just a note Stewart, keep that link rod in the back of the cylinder block lubricated. Makes for a lighter pedal.

Mark

Graeme

Forum Member
Hi - I hope you don't mind me hijacking this thread, but I'm after the front brake cables for my 1995 Mercedes 811D (part numbers are 667 420 3985 & 667 420 4085). I can get the rear cables, but not the front ones. Does anyone know of a potential supplier, or failing that, someone who can make the cables up for me? Any suggestions gratefully accepted!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)