Master/Movano front seat double to single issue

Scudo

Hi,
I'm planning to do a conversion based on a Renault Master. The info on the Espace seats is a good steer. However, been led to believe that if the dual front passenger seat is removed it generates a warning flag on the dash that causes MOT failure. The warning is due to one of the sealt belts having been removed. I've heard of two possible solutions, one involves changing some codes on the vehicle, but need knowledge of the codes and presumably a bit of kit to do it. The other involves putting a resistor somewhere in the circuitry to fool the vehicle into thinking the removed seat belt is still there. Presumably you've used one of these methods. If so can you provide a bit more dummy level info for me please.

Maurice

dave docwra

Hi Maurice, Simple way of doing it, is to remove the second pretensioner from the removed seat & secure under the seat base, which then gives you the option to refit the dual seat easily, alternative is measure the ohms of the pretensioner which will be about 2ohms & fit a suitable resistor in its place.

Dave.

AuldTam

I used Renault Espace seats on my Master...I didnt need to change anything as I have an older van without pretensioners. The Espace seats do have the pretensioner plugs underneath. Perhaps a trip to a breakers yard to compare the plugs...if your lucky it may be a straight swap

sparrks

I did the same with a Peugeot Expert van and just fitted a 2 ohm resistor in place of the pre-tensioner. I chose this method as it makes putting the twin seat back in very easy.

Scudo

Which Seats

I used Renault Espace seats on my Master...I didnt need to change anything as I have an older van without pretensioners. The Espace seats do have the pretensioner plugs underneath. Perhaps a trip to a breakers yard to compare the plugs...if your lucky it may be a straight swap

Do the Espace seats have electrical or manual operation? Or perhaps there's a choice depending on which model they come from? I magine electrically operated seats present a whole new set of challenges if they are attached to a swivle base?

Maurice

AuldTam

Do the Espace seats have electrical or manual operation? Or perhaps there's a choice depending on which model they come from? I magine electrically operated seats present a whole new set of challenges if they are attached to a swivle base?

Maurice

I got mine from a Grande Espace they are manual seats with drop down arm rest and they swivel 180 only but I read somewhere that a lug can be ground down to allow the 360 action, they work fine for me as they are and are very comfortable on a long journey. I had to elongate two holes slightly on each seat and the original bolts fitted back through, job done. They come in leather finish too but hard to find.

Deadsfo

replace seats

I got mine from a Grande Espace they are manual seats with drop down arm rest and they swivel 180 only but I read somewhere that a lug can be ground down to allow the 360 action, they work fine for me as they are and are very comfortable on a long journey. I had to elongate two holes slightly on each seat and the original bolts fitted back through, job done. They come in leather finish too but hard to find.

I was wondering why you want to go 360 degs ,do they only swivel 180 deg one way?

blackadderbob

Hi Tam, I was wondering how you managed to fit the espace seats. Did yours come with the swivels or did you have to buy swivels. I've got the 2 seats to convert my 2001 master but the runners are too wide for the recommended master swivels. Trafic swivels would fit though.

Cheers

Bob

mrbigglesworth

I was wondering why you want to go 360 degs ,do they only swivel 180 deg one way?

They swivel one way as they are intended to help the user to get in and out of the vehicle (I think). Thus a passenger seat will only swivel anticlockwise. You can sit in the seat and swivel it right round either way when you grind off the stops
You can grind off the stops but the seat will still lock at 180°. Watch out for sparks when grinding....

Mr. B.

pete53

I have done a conversion on a Renault Master , 2008 . there was no pretensioner on the passenger seats . I have a Saab seat on a swivel with a VW Transporter base , brackets welded on to fit the Renault mountings . Works well .

Pete .

AuldTam

Hi Tam, I was wondering how you managed to fit the espace seats. Did yours come with the swivels or did you have to buy swivels. I've got the 2 seats to convert my 2001 master but the runners are too wide for the recommended master swivels. Trafic swivels would fit though.

Cheers

Bob

Sorry for delay I've only just noticed you post. The swivel base is integrated on the Espace seats so you just bolt in and use, seatbelts work okay too. You need only elongate the bolt holes a fraction and they fit without problem. They swivel 180 degrees to face the rear of the van, swivel towards doors then to rear which means the drivers seat does not hit the handbrake, so no need for any fancy handbrake adjusters.

I did quite a bit of research at the time and found that the Espace seats were the cheapest and easiest DIY option. My Renault Master has retired to a holiday home in Spain so the new owner can fly over and explore Spain and Portugal with her, wish I was with her too.

I now have an automatic Iveco Daily because of my dodgy knees, the Renault was a manual.

Reg

Photo’s.

Hi! Does anyone have any photos of the space seat conversion they would consider sharing please?
I am just converting my 2014 Master and am struggling with the reversible front bench seat problem.
Thanks!

Toonman

Master front seat double to single issue

Hi
I changed my front seat of my master to single. I unclipped the connection and tucked it underneath. There are no warning lights on. Note, you do not need to take the seatbelt off the van.

Adam

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)