LINUX good or bad ??

Millie Master

Forum Member
When it comes to computers/lap-tops etc. I am afraid that I have close to zero tolerance or patience when yet another upgrade is forced on me by bloody Microsoft!

My lap-top has Windows 8.1 and my most beloved has just bought a new lap-top which came with Windows 10 where we discovered, as Microsoft always have a habit of doing, no longer is the steering wheel in front of you along with the throttle pedal down on the right on the floor etc. etc., every bloody thing is different and you have to totally re-learn how to use the blessed thing along with the fact that some of the ad on bits and pieces we have become so used to using are no longer there................... Arhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

So I am thinking of dumping Microsoft and dipping my toe into the Linux pool.

I know that @trevskoda uses Linux and swears blind by it, so does anyone know what pitfalls I am likely to face if I do switch?

Phil

voyager

Forum Member
I looked at changing to Linux a while back but got mixed comments from being the best system available to one of the most useless ones around so decided to stick it out with Windows 10 and have to say I am now very happy with it. I think you will also get mixed comments and opinions but whatever you decide it will be just a case of persevering with it until you are familiar with the way it works.
Good luck with your choice.

wildebus

Forum Member
End of the day, you don't use Windows, you don't use Linux, you don't use Apple OS - you use the applications and the OS *should* be irrelevent and invisible.

I removed Windows 10 from my two PCs as it was such a PITA with the unwanted updates.
I re-instated Windows 8 on the laptop and updated to 8.1 - Works nicely
I put Windows 7 back on the Desktop and it now works again as I want.

I put Linux on the Desktop as a Linux/Win7 dual boot - it crapped out for no apparent reason, so I don't see Linux as some magic bullet to cure all the supposed evils of Windows.

Personally, I think Linux has improved a lot since it was first ripped off from Unix, but just like Unix was, it is still not a end-user turnkey system and is - IMO - really only suitable for those who can - and WANT to - fart round with command line updates and OS tweaking (I CAN do that as that is what I used to do for a long long time for work, but I DON'T WANT TO as those times are gone and computer tweaking for the sake of it bores me to death now).

trevskoda

Forum Member
Linux by far out does the rest for most users one you get to grips with the different desk tops,ie lxde gnome mate etc and the fact that it is case sensitive,all easy with a few tips from me and others.
Now the good bits,you are in control,no spyware or tracking,simple downloads/updates when you want.
Big prob for folk is the new names for things,ie ms office/libra sound/vlc,never mind many serch engines to pic from like opera firefox,arora,duck duck go.
Try linuc lite or mint,mint comes in two flavors,old sty mate desk top or the new cinnamon.
All easy to reload on your pc and you will easy get started in a few hrs and be good with it in a few weeks,one thing is it will not crash even with a power fail etc,give me a shout if stuck.

Millie Master

Forum Member
I am very pleased to say that SWMBO has now discovered a round the back doors way of getting Windows Mail to work on the infernal Win 10.

Whereas with Windows Mail you can see and manage all of your emails very easily (she has dozens of them every day), the system that came with Win 10 was so utterly childish that she found it be unworkable and as Microsoft was saying that it wasn't possible to load Windows Mail onto 10, somehow or other she found a way of doing it!

As for me, I think I will give one of the versions of Linux a try out which I presume I can do without initially dumping Windows 8.1?

I have got a feeling @trevskoda that I will be in contact with you quite soon.................

For instance I have a positively ancient Adobe PageMaker 6.5 and Photoshop loaded on my old Win XP running lap-top that won't load onto Win 8.1, would you happen to know if they will load onto any of the Linux programmes?

All the best

Phil

trevskoda

Forum Member
No win stuff works easy on linux,it is doable but why bother as linux has the same under other names doing a much better job.
I always tell folk forget win when working linux,remember win spys on every thing you do and reports back to them,so does google where as linux is secure and spyware free,plus perfect for home use,dont be put of by folk telling you its geeky,its not.
First thing is your pc 32 bit or 64 and who much ram,64 chip/core is now the most used and if you have 2 gig or more ram then you will be ok on linux,go to distrowatch .com and load down lite from mirrors then burn to disk,from here i will run you through the set up or we can talk on phone to sort.

wildebus

Forum Member
...one thing is it will not crash even with a power fail etc,give me a shout if stuck.
Shall I post a shot of my screen when it loads Linux?

(that is a rhetorical question. It is going the same way Win 10 did ....)

...dont be put of by folk telling you its geeky,its not.
First thing "is your pc 32 bit or 64 and who much ram,64 chip/core is now the most used and if you have 2 gig or more ram then you will be ok on linux,go to distrowatch .com and load down lite from mirrors then burn to disk",.....
Trev, the second sentence is at total odds with the first sentence :cool:

Millie Master

Forum Member
First thing is your pc 32 bit or 64 and who much ram,64 chip/core is now the most used and if you have 2 gig or more ram then you will be ok on linux,go to distrowatch .com and load down lite from mirrors then burn to disk,from here i will run you through the set up or we can talk on phone to sort.

I haven't got the foggiest idea if this infernal device is a 32 or 64 or for that matter how much ram it has!

It wouldn't be stretching the point if I say that I hate almost everything to do with these damnable devices, if it turns on great, but if it doesn't, then I have absolutely zero tolerance or patience and am just as likely to pick it up and chuck it into the bin!!

Possibly I might be better leaving well alone?

Phil

wildebus

Forum Member
Phil, I am sure Trev will have a very contrary opinion - which is fine and fair enough - but if your middle statement is an accurate summary then Linux really is not for you. My work career has revolved round the technicalities of computers from programming Microprocessors to recoding Windows to repairing Mainframe Computers and I hate the damn things as well!

fifthwheel

I have tried my best with Linux over the years. I find it very geeky Trev and if help and advice is given from the Linux forums they all assume the user knows what to do with the advice when given.
This is where I struggle,I dont understand the terminal for a start I know the average user can get by without using it but you do need to use it sometimes, but how the hell do you know what to type into it?
I have gone back to windows so many times I didnt want to but just had to give in, it must be me just being thick.
Sorry but I dont find it user friendly at all. john.

Millie Master

Forum Member
Many thanks Dave & John and I am sorry Trev but my mind is now made up that I will be continuing with Microsoft until I finally dip my hand well down into the depths of my pocket and somehow find the cash to go with an Apple.

Phil

trevskoda

Forum Member
I have tried my best with Linux over the years. I find it very geeky Trev and if help and advice is given from the Linux forums they all assume the user knows what to do with the advice when given.
This is where I struggle,I dont understand the terminal for a start I know the average user can get by without using it but you do need to use it sometimes, but how the hell do you know what to type into it?
I have gone back to windows so many times I didnt want to but just had to give in, it must be me just being thick.
Which distro were you using,some are for geeks where the more top 5 or so are made for numties like me,lite and mint are top notch distros and very easy to pick up,however if folk have trouble understanding how there tumble dryer switches on then forget it.
I have talked to many windows users who dont know what the box has in it to run,strange as this is and should be the first thing found out before buying,would you buy a car before asking whether it was petrol or derv etc,same when buying a pc,ask friends or the siblings and they will help,or hit either f2 or f12 on boot up and all will be there to see on the blue screen,you will require to do this before trying to install any operating sys so that you can set first boot to cd,other wise it will keep loading win.

trevskoda

Forum Member
I haven't got the foggiest idea if this infernal device is a 32 or 64 or for that matter how much ram it has!

It wouldn't be stretching the point if I say that I hate almost everything to do with these damnable devices, if it turns on great, but if it doesn't, then I have absolutely zero tolerance or patience and am just as likely to pick it up and chuck it into the bin!!

Possibly I might be better leaving well alone?

Phil
If it runs win 10 then it will be 64 bit.

trevskoda

Forum Member
I dont go to linux forums for that very thing,best to get a linux chap to load and run you round it,ten mins will have you doing email web pictures doc folders etc,most stuff is drag and drop.

trevskoda

Forum Member
Many thanks Dave & John and I am sorry Trev but my mind is now made up that I will be continuing with Microsoft until I finally dip my hand well down into the depths of my pocket and somehow find the cash to go with an Apple.

Phil
Going from bad to worse,apple is a very old unix/linux core and locked down even harder than linux,very bad dis,but your shout,cheers

trevskoda

Forum Member
Trev, Windows 10 is available in 32 Bit.
Dont think old pc with little ram etc will go to well on 10,remember it eats hard drive space where linux uses about 1.5 gig for install,thanks for heads up on that,i have looked at win but because of the spyware and wins dumping of old files filling drives up never mind being akward to use i have no wish to use it.

trevskoda

Forum Member
Here is a we screen shot of lite working,just look at bottom icons,menu mail web and all folders,to right two working screens to switch between,dropbox,modem connection,speaker on of vol ,time and calender,so simple aint it.
linux shot a.png

wildebus

Forum Member
Dont think old pc with little ram etc will go to well on 10,remember it eats hard drive space where linux uses about 1.5 gig for install,thanks for heads up on that,i have looked at win but because of the spyware and wins dumping of old files filling drives up never mind being akward to use i have no wish to use it.
I wouldn't choose to use Win 10, end of.

trevskoda

Forum Member
I wouldn't choose to use Win 10, end of.
I agree,linux lite is a bit like win 7 to use,the other bit i detest with win is the fact that little tail ends of downloads stay which in the long run clog up and slow the sys down to a crawl,in lite i can clear all leftovers in a second.
Last win i ues was xp but due to crashes etc my friend who kept a large amount of gov servers and agreculter uni pc working put me to early ubuntu which after some distro hopping i settled on lite.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)