Leisure Batteries within a swivel Twin seat VW T5

Welsh will

Hi Everyone
Still at design stage for this part of my conversion but have constantly gained so much helpfull advice off here i thought id ask the question.
This is something that i really want to work or it will bugger my overall plans up. I also understand that it has to be done right from a safety point. Before anyone mentions..i am going to use correct core cable which will be fused on both ends of swivel. Also going to make sure Battery storage compartment will be vented outside no matter what position seat will be in.
What im hoping to do, is store 2 leisure batteries under the passenger seat which will also be a swivel. Hoping to raise batteries slightly off swivel base so as to incorperate the vents. The Bit im struggling with is how to keep everything wired up. Im thinking of either a good heavy duty coiled cable which would stretch round as seat rotated or possibly some sort of quick release type of connection which to me probably be best idea but just havent seen anything suitable.
Has anybody fitted anything similar?
I am going to be running 2 Batteries connected to split charge system, with on site hook up (including charger) aswell as 2 x 100w solar panels through a mppt controller.
Reason for the 2 Batteries or possibly 1 big 1 is that we hoping to be off grid most of time so that extra power supply be required.
As always appreciate all your opinions
Thanks in advance.
Will

Alf

I have a 85ah battery under the drivers seat which is a swivel seat the turntable is above the battery so no need for coiled extension cable. We have no solar panels. We mainly wild camp. As we generally travel each day we have never flattened the leisure battery we use the van all year round as well.

Alf

hairydog

I like the idea of a swivelling twin seat. But all the swivel seats I've seen have the swivel above the box. Adding another 50kg load to the swivel doesn't seem a great plan. Is there no way to fit the swivel above the batteries?
If you connect the batteries with long loops of 25mm superflex cable, they'll be fine electrically. But making sure they're secure in the event of of an accident matters too.

st3v3

Forum Member
Swivel above the box does seem the right way to do it. If you have to, this stuff is good for keeping cables where they need to be. You might be able to make it work for you...

R7200686-01.jpg

Google cable chain.

wildebus

Forum Member
I think it would be EXTREMELY tricky to do what you are proposing. Not impossible, but certainly not easy by any means judging by the double swivel mechanisms I have seen in the flesh/metal for the T5s and the way they move when swivelling.

Depending on your layout, the setup below is maybe a possibility?
View attachment 60163
This is a VW T5 that had a 90Ah battery under the drivers seat that was under-performing. I switched out the 90Ah Battery for a 110Ah AGM Battery and in the existing gap between the seat back and the kitchen furniture I installed a second 110Ah AGM Battery in parallel. That gap is a typical space you end up in a T5 setup to allow enough rake for the Drivers seat back and so is often available.
This is just after electrical installation - the next stage was to secure and make a flat cover for.
That worked very well in fact - in this case as a retro-fit it was remarkably neat.
The owner made the cover himself (it is part of his business so would be a much neater job than I would have managed!) and this is a before and after shot from him
View attachment 60164
(the right part of the photo is the new home for his table as the battery did mean his table stowage location had to move)

Just an option to consider ...

Last edited:

harrow

Forum Member
These 2 leisure batteries are going to be heavy,

and thought needs to be given to getting them in and out and space to make the electrical connections safely,

if you short out the terminals there is going to be a big flash and maybe a big bang.

I would not fit them in a confined space, make your life easier.

trevskoda

Forum Member
You have asked the same on another forum,i think what you are wishing to do is mad and pos beyond your scope,i would try going the most common route without giving your self a brainstorm,have a look at other self build vans as this will give you some ideas.

Welsh will

Thanks for all your replies really appreciate them all. Yes i have asked on another forum as am always prepared to learn from others.....as for mad! Well thanks for that! Not!
Im an auto electrician by trade and have already got an idea that i think will safetly work but as previously stated allways willing to consider other peoples ideas that i have possibly not thought of.
I will keep you all updated on progress and maybe prove to certain people that im not actually mad but enjoy a challenge.
Again thank you everyone for your ideas and suggestions really do appreciate them all.

trevskoda

Forum Member
Thanks for all your replies really appreciate them all. Yes i have asked on another forum as am always prepared to learn from others.....as for mad! Well thanks for that! Not!
Im an auto electrician by trade and have already got an idea that i think will safetly work but as previously stated allways willing to consider other peoples ideas that i have possibly not thought of.
I will keep you all updated on progress and maybe prove to certain people that im not actually mad but enjoy a challenge.
Again thank you everyone for your ideas and suggestions really do appreciate them all.

Its much better to me mad I should know,good luck with build,roadrunner.

QFour

LifePo4 battery. Light weight and being lithium does not need to be vented. You only need 1/2 the capacity as you can flatten them and they recover very well and can be re-charged very quickly. Only downside is cost. Not cheap but you could spend more trying other solutions.

hairydog

LifePo4 battery. Light weight and being lithium does not need to be vented. You only need 1/2 the capacity as you can flatten them and they recover very well and can be re-charged very quickly. Only downside is cost. Not cheap but you could spend more trying other solutions.
Yes, if you have a spare £1200 to risk. The snag is that some fail prematurely. I suspect that's from bad charging setups, but that's only my guess.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)