Is conveting a campervan a ridiculose idea if youve never touched a tool in your life

Tired of Routine

Basically, ive just finished university - somthing i committed to for all the wrong reasns but was too damned stubborn to quit. Now i want to go travelling - mainly UK and Europe, but want as much freedom for as cheap as possible along the way. Stealth camping seems to offer this, after initial vehichle costs, conversion costs and fuel. The only problems is ive never done any DIY in my entire life.. Am willing to commit alot of time and effort into it, and there seems to be alot of advice on different builds. My needs will be minimal - i.e. small cooking device, chemical toilet, bed. Possibly water but not for shower or anything. Secondary battery sounds good but again not a must have. There dont seem to be many for sale (stealth vans) and i really dont like the idea of an obvious looking van and dont want to have to pay for parking - be excluded from longstay carparks.

Is it unrealistic to take on a task like this with no skills in this kind of thing? Thinking of somthing like a citreon relay - mid top probably.
Also i appreciate it requires a lot of planning/budgetting.
Any opinions welcome- my main worry is that il waste a couple of grand and degrade a reasonable van to a pile of scrap metal.

Merlin59

There's always a first time!

I appreciate your dilemma and commend your enthusiasm! I've recently converted an LDV Convoy into a camper on a very tight budget (have a look at "truants LDV Conversion" on campervanlife.com if you're interested). Although I am a carpenter I think that most of what I did was pretty simple. Have you considered buying a scrap caravan with all the goodies in it (cooker, fridge, cupboards, etc.) and fitting them to a van? Most of the work will have been done for you and all you'll need to do is secure them to the vehicle. I used an old caravan I had which was built in the eighties and although obviously not bang up to date, everything works as it should. I'd recommend that you have a seperate 12v electrical system for lights, etc as you risk draining the starter battery otherwise. Also you might like to consider insulating the interior before boarding it! I found the whole project enormously satisfying and I hope you give it a go. All the best.:goodluck:

Makzine

Not everyone is adept at diy so have you not thought about bying a van that is already converted to the basics I'm sure there will be many about at an affordable price. The right van for you is out there all you have to do is find it. Good luck. :goodluck::drive:

Bigpeetee

Years a go I used a van as basically a "Tin Tent"

I made a plinth for a bed that had loads of storage under and used some parts out of a caravan as has been suggested.

Crude, simple; yes, but as I was in predominantly warmer climes, it wasn't an issue. Also took small backpack tent to allow excursions. So it was basically using camping gear in a van with a nice warm bed at night.

Did put in a window and roof vent to let the heat out and some insulation would have been nice to stop heat getting in/out.

Roughing it? actually it was quite comfortable.
The two burner cooker could be moved outside in good weather for more space and we just used a washing up bowl.

The lighter you keep it, the less cost of running!!

Being young, you probably don't need all the luxuries us oldies have!

The less you spend on vehicle, the more money you have to stay away for longer.

Tired of Routine

Cheers for replying.
Yeh dont mind roughing it tried spending 2 weeks in a ford focus, and realised that being able to sit up is a must haha but apart from that it wasnt too bad. I like the caravan idea, as my brothers actually got a scrap caravan which is pretty convenient. that camper looks sweet, i like the subtle water-tank set up in the back. I recon a roof vent is a must, but want to keep it window-less for security reasons. Is setting up the 12v hard? In my minds eye the insulation and the electrics will pose the greatest problem. Also i will have a wet-suit with me and apparently some kind of dehumidifier is essential. Im hoping to find some middle ground between a tin tent and a fully equipped camper, as planning on living for a few months in it. Budget is about 1500 for van - some pretty decent panels out there for that price. And then the same for conversion costs. Are there any things that you would consider 'must haves' when preparing for a longer trip?

solarman

Cheers for replying.
Yeh dont mind roughing it tried spending 2 weeks in a ford focus, and realised that being able to sit up is a must haha but apart from that it wasnt too bad. I like the caravan idea, as my brothers actually got a scrap caravan which is pretty convenient. that camper looks sweet, i like the subtle water-tank set up in the back. I recon a roof vent is a must, but want to keep it window-less for security reasons. Is setting up the 12v hard? In my minds eye the insulation and the electrics will pose the greatest problem. Also i will have a wet-suit with me and apparently some kind of dehumidifier is essential. Im hoping to find some middle ground between a tin tent and a fully equipped camper, as planning on living for a few months in it. Budget is about 1500 for van - some pretty decent panels out there for that price. And then the same for conversion costs. Are there any things that you would consider 'must haves' when preparing for a longer trip?
A few other things to consider adding would be a portable toilet,3 way fridge if size permits,leisure battery and charging system whether that be a split relay or a solar panel.Sometimes you need extra conveniences especially if planning to live in it for a few months rather than the odd weekend trip,your budget seems generous enough to complete it with the neccesary equipment,also better to make sure you have everything you actually need rather then regret fitting the extra eqpt later when actually living in it.Good luck with the project and happy travels.

vwalan

hi have a good look at as many as you can first. do a basic convertion . use a bucket with a lid as a toilet (emergency use). cheapest way i have used for charging the leisure battery is a jumper cable with a big red plastic keyed cut out switch in it .and earth the leisure battery . when stopped turn plastic key to seperate leisure from engine . dont turn it back till the engine as started . used this method for 3 years while on an african trip . worked fine .very ocasionally the mind forgets but its your fault not some leccy gizmo you cant get in the wilds.
i would also say get a two burner and grill cooking stove . but go for it you soon know what you got wrong . another tip is make sure you make the seat cupboards high enough to get big bottles of pop etc in stood up. about 15inches deep is best.

n brown

Forum Member
who cares if you devalue the van,even if you do a rubbish job you'll still have the van to get around in.there's not that much planning needed for a simple fit,where you based?might be someone near who can stop you making daft errors

snowbirds

Van convert

Hi

If you are not good with the tools, you could pick some thing up on ebay maybe part done or a older camper that needs a little work, If you pick up a 25 year plus campervan you can get classic Insurance for about £100 pounds and you won't need no claim BONUS.And if you want to travel,a build will take you more than one summer and a lot of money.good luck.

Snowbirds.

Basically, ive just finished university - somthing i committed to for all the wrong reasns but was too damned stubborn to quit. Now i want to go travelling - mainly UK and Europe, but want as much freedom for as cheap as possible along the way. Stealth camping seems to offer this, after initial vehichle costs, conversion costs and fuel. The only problems is ive never done any DIY in my entire life.. Am willing to commit alot of time and effort into it, and there seems to be alot of advice on different builds. My needs will be minimal - i.e. small cooking device, chemical toilet, bed. Possibly water but not for shower or anything. Secondary battery sounds good but again not a must have. There dont seem to be many for sale (stealth vans) and i really dont like the idea of an obvious looking van and dont want to have to pay for parking - be excluded from longstay carparks.

Is it unrealistic to take on a task like this with no skills in this kind of thing? Thinking of somthing like a citreon relay - mid top probably.
Any opinions welcome- my main worry is that il waste a couple of grand and degrade a reasonable van to a pile of scrap metal.

Ste

Might be worth buying a copy of 'Practical Motorhome' Magazine. They've been doing a budget resto called Project Peanuts on an old Sherpa camper. £2000 for purchase and refit, insurance & tax. Makes quite an interesting read.

rab13

go for it dude,get a van put what ever you want into it,at the end of the day it will allways be a van all the things you put in can be removed so it will be worth what its worth, just spend most of your money on a good base vehical that does good mpg

Tired of Routine

Yeh im thinking along similar lines now - camping gear in a van haha. Its only as hard as you make it eh? Read a ton about electrics and recon that shouldnt be a problem. Leisure battery / Split relay/ alternator / fusebox / then cigarette charger plugs and LEV light connection. Now trying to plan insulation. Ive got an opportunity to grap a whole load of underlay laminate insulation - as i know somone who is replacing laminate with carpets. Anyone know if this stuff is any good? im also worried about getting a ton of condensation and rust etc. Insulating is pretty important to me as guna be living in it in UK winter. Does anyone know how efficient you need to be with insulating (including a vapour barrier)? Would it have to cover every inch of externally exposed metal? Will check that magazine out as i need all the information i need. Cheers for the recomendation. Have been looking for vans on ebay, preloved, and gumtree, but every converted van ive seen so far seems to have lost its 'stealth' element, which is somthing i want to prioritize so i can stay in long-stay carparks or on residential roads.

scenictraveller

theres a few threads on insulation within this forum search via the search thingie above,
my idea is celotex (spelling maybe) and rock wool.

camping mats are also another idea for insulating floors and walls etc.

another area for stealth vans are industrial roads,as most seem to lead to a dead end,just make sure u point it in the
easy to get out access,

another option for wilding camping is farm land,but with a BIG BUT,ask perrmission first,even if its for 1 night.
some farmers have the lonelest job there is so having someone to talk to can make them feel good,even if they
just pop down to u and say helloand have a blether,as a metal detectorist they like to see what uve found and dont mind if u park over
at a weekend,so they can come for a chat and a cider or 2.ps as i said ask permission first.

Firefox

Get one that is already plylined and floored. Unscrew the ply and shove rockwool behind. Put some carpet or lino on the floor. Line the roof in thin ply and shove rockwool behind (very important)

Use basic self asembly furniture and things like sofa beds and/or second hand furniture. You will hardly have to do much carpentry, just screw your furniture down to the ply floor and walls. If it is heavy enough you can even leave it loose. This way you won't mess up the van, it could all be taken out. It will be fine if you just want it basic. You should OK within weight limits if you are not having big water tanks or lots of batteries.

Consider getting a rooflight fitted professionaly. This will be an expense but

1. It adds value to the van.
2, Provides stealth daylight.
3. Provides needed ventilation for habitation and cooking.

A second battery on a smart relay or switch is very easy to wire.

sean rua

Yes, some very good points have been made above.
Imo, condensation is the killer. Winter in the UK seems to be at least nine months long.:confused:

Insulation is very important, but heating will probably be essential in the winter.

In fine bright weather everything is easy enough. Those dark, wet, days are the bugbear, imo. :goodluck:

sean rua.

ellisboy

I agree with Mr Fox on the roof light, there quite easy to fit, it also helps if you put your location in your profile.Makes it easier to recommend supplies etc, cheers Stephen.:welcome:

scenictraveller

for heating in winter have you thought of a wood burner,
how to install and whats requiered i have no idea,but would recon fireproofing ie slab of concrete for floor
and fireretarded materiel for panel sides,and a couple of carbon monoxcide alarms,and a flue poking out the roof.

sure some one here can fill u in,p,s only use dead wood not living wood as it dont burn that well.

old pallets (tend to spark abit) pine cones and pine knuckles bright fires,if u can od railway sleepers,
chopped into small easy to burn sizes.

just a thought save the gas and fuel and leccy.

red ted

:have fun::have fun:: goodidea:

dodge2transit

Basically, ive just finished university - something i committed to for all the wrong reasons but was too damned stubborn to quit. Now i want to go travelling - mainly UK and Europe, but want as much freedom for as cheap as possible along the way. Stealth camping seems to offer this, after initial vehichle costs, conversion costs and fuel. The only problems is ive never done any DIY in my entire life.. Am willing to commit alot of time and effort into it, and there seems to be alot of advice on different builds. My needs will be minimal - i.e. small cooking device, chemical toilet, bed. Possibly water but not for shower or anything. Secondary battery sounds good but again not a must have. There dont seem to be many for sale (stealth vans) and i really dont like the idea of an obvious looking van and dont want to have to pay for parking - be excluded from longstay carparks.

Is it unrealistic to take on a task like this with no skills in this kind of thing? Thinking of something like a citroen relay - mid top probably.
Also i appreciate it requires a lot of planning/budgeting.

a bud up the road from me has no skills at all so he got him self a ex wheelchair van a car that was converted to take a wheelchair in the back he put a caravan sink and hob unit one side and a caravan bench the other, you can buy them off intnet cheep and works ypour skill set dont have to be brilant or you get a mate to screew them down for you, hell' if your my way give me a look im sure i can help some were for you.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)