Ikea Kitchen units going in.

Bouydog

Forum Member
I decided to go with Ikea metod units, having spent weeks trying to buy a used kitchen via eBay with no joy to far or bid to high.
I wanted a 1.8 metre run for the base, and used a oven housing and a corner unit with the corner part fitted between the two rather than at right angles to give me exactly 1.8
This will house full built in oven/grill and Dometic three burner hob sink combo. An integrated a/c fridge will be housed on the opposite side.
The bottom fixings are temporary for transit off to a bodybuilder tomorrow to get a price for replacing bus type doors with frame, door and blanking panel.
1AE45D48-6EC4-4C5C-B21D-D9DB699BD955.jpeg
BD2D56C3-B123-4760-B21D-AAB6D64DD023.jpeg
39C61727-5086-4DAD-87FC-2F24B1C9A704.jpeg

trevskoda

Forum Member
Looks nice but heavy build with that type of wood,she will more fuel,i would have went with light board or the plastic bathroom panels,your choice and health to wear.

wildebus

Forum Member
Looks nice but heavy build with that type of wood,she will more fuel,i would have went with light board or the plastic bathroom panels,your choice and health to wear.
Problem is faced lightweight plywood is VERY expensive. And plastic bathroom panels can rattle terribly.

I totted up the weight of an IKEA kitchen setup and in the overall scheme of things the extra weight is actually not that great - and in terms of cost it is hard to beat.

I have used the IKEA metod units in my last three builds and they have worked out very well IMO. no issues with being overweight when loaded with all my stuff as well (and the T4 was a < 2.5t GVW model as well).

Bouydog

Forum Member
Problem is faced lightweight plywood is VERY expensive. And plastic bathroom panels can rattle terribly.

I totted up the weight of an IKEA kitchen setup and in the overall scheme of things the extra weight is actually not that great - and in terms of cost it is hard to beat.

I have used the IKEA metod units in my last three builds and they have worked out very well IMO. no issues with being overweight when loaded with all my stuff as well (and the T4 was a < 2.5t GVW model as well).
I have noticed a lot of other builds use these units, my thinking was this can’t be without good reason. Once I have the gas, water and waste in place and do the final fixing I am confident that with the weight of the oven hob sink cupboard contents etc this set up will last the course.
While I have beefed these units up to an extent bolted them all together screwed and glued added reinforcing plates, I don’t think with my limited carpentry skills I could have done better from scratch and probably not much difference in cost.

wildebus

Forum Member
I have noticed a lot of other builds use these units, my thinking was this can’t be without good reason. Once I have the gas, water and waste in place and do the final fixing I am confident that with the weight of the oven hob sink cupboard contents etc this set up will last the course.
While I have beefed these units up to an extent bolted them all together screwed and glued added reinforcing plates, I don’t think with my limited carpentry skills I could have done better from scratch and probably not much difference in cost.
I added solid backs, wood glue on all joins and pocket screws as well for extra rigidity :)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)