How do you remove a rear view mirror screen mounting?

Millie Master

Forum Member
OK I have just been bludgeoned into buying a rear view camera, but now I have one the first installation/fitting problem is with regards to hanging the darned monitor!

As I use an internal thermal blanket attached to the screen and side windows, the only practical place for me to mount the monitor is where the rear view mirror mounting plate is mounted on the Renault Masters windscreen which has a matching cut out area to accommodate it on the thermal blanket.......... But, how do I remove this metal mounting attachment from the screen?

I have looked on the internet and there are several American Youtube videos where they are using blow torches and similar high intensity heat devices that eventually soften the adhesive and it then finally drops off, but I have also seen some of these videos showing the windscreens breaking!

I had tried using a saw blade in my trusty multitool, however after a few minutes of sawing, very little progress was being made.

So does any kind sole know the best way to achieve my objective?

Many thanks

Phil

time4t

Hiya, When I removed the mirror mount off of my windscreen I got some wooden cloths pegs, planed the thin end down & gently tapped a couple about 5 mm under the mount.
I left them overnight & tapped them a bit more the next day.
It needed a slight tap that night but came off with most of the adhesive attached!
Patience has it's own rewards.

Phill

Millie Master

Forum Member
Patience has it's own rewards.

Phill

So many thanks Nigel, Phil & Phill, I will keep your suggestion Nigel as my back-stop.

First off though I will try a combination of Phill's clothes peg and Phil's length of wire......... I would like to use heat but am more than somewhat concerned about the screen not liking it too much, although Nigel I have considered getting a replacement as there is already some nasty stone damage (but not on my line of vision).

However as I decided to go for a cable fed monitor and not wifi, my next job is picking the easiest and most durable route for the cable run which is a job I am not exactly looking forward to, but having said that there is no rush as the cable supplied with the camera isnt long enough and so I am waiting for an extension cable to come from the Chinese manufacturers!

Ah, such is life and as Phill so rightly wrote "Patience has it's rewards".

Phil

MarkJ

Forum Member
One of the many things I love about this site is the richness of the debate. Where else would you get a sensible conversation about the relative merits of blow torches and piano wire on your windscreen? Brilliant...

Last edited:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)