Garage Bed

NorfolkNomad

I have a Hymer 662 that has a large double bed above the garage. It's a right pain getting in and out of bed due to the height, I am thinking of buying 4 linear actuators so I can lower the bed once I have taken my motorcycle out of the garage. Anyone done anything like this? Does not seem too big of a job, don't foresee any problems.

Regards

Tom

Wooie1958

Forum Member
I have a Compass Castaway 500LL that has an electric transverse bed at the rear over the garage.

The biggest problem is that any fumes / odours in the garage come straight up and into the habitation area via the gaps around the edges of the bed.

I used to use a Honda generator and even with the fuel cap turned off it still stunk the garage out which permeated into the motorhome.

I had to buy a sealed box to store it in when not in use.

NorfolkNomad

I don't have a generator but do keep my bike in the garage, perhaps a small computer fan in the garage door to keep a negative pressure in the garage would solve any odours entering the living area.

Wooie1958

Forum Member
I don't have a generator but do keep my bike in the garage, perhaps a small computer fan in the garage door to keep a negative pressure in the garage would solve any odours entering the living area.

Possibly, i used my experience with the generator to show what happened with the petrol fumes even with the filler cap in the off position which is supposedly sealed.

I kept it like new and it was spotless so it wasn`t like the dirty old oily smelly ones you see.

When the genny was outside we never noticed the petrol fumes when switched off even when sat quite close to it however ........................

Once it was inside with both garage doors shut we could smell the petrol within a minute or so even at the front of the motorhome where the seating / lounge is.

Can you possibly put the bike in a confined space for a while then open the doors and you might smell what i`m trying to explain.

Deleted member 2572

Possibly, i used my experience with the generator to show what happened with the petrol fumes even with the filler cap in the off position which is supposedly sealed.

I kept it like new and it was spotless so it wasn`t like the dirty old oily smelly ones you see.

When the genny was outside we never noticed the petrol fumes when switched off even when sat quite close to it however ........................

Once it was inside with both garage doors shut we could smell the petrol within a minute or so even at the front of the motorhome where the seating / lounge is.

Can you possibly put the bike in a confined space for a while then open the doors and you might smell what i`m trying to explain.

Having carried motorbikes in previous motorhomes it will definitely have a smell , our Honda generator was actuality actually ok but others have smelt , and from years of carrying petrol cans and different machines in vans they stink constantly.

Wooie1958

Forum Member
Having carried motorbikes in previous motorhomes it will definitely have a smell , our Honda generator was actuality actually ok but others have smelt , and from years of carrying petrol cans and different machines in vans they stink constantly.

I got around the problem with the Honda EU10i by buying a box with lid from B&Q and then putting some sealing foam strip around the lid where it sits on the box.

I then used 2 luggage straps to pull the lid down tight onto the box, this stopped all the fumes when stored in the garage.

Sharon the Cat

Our bed was too high in our last MH because I bought the most expensive memory foam mattress I could to replace the existing pancake. I bought a little folding step stool from Dunelm for £5, a useful thing to have anyway.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)