Fridge 12v relay ?

I'm fitting a Dometic RM123 three way fridge, the 240v connection is straight forward as is the gas - the 12v had me stumped as it (as I understand) requires a relay (?) from the battery to the fridge, are all relays the same or do I require a certain type ? 😮

Wissel

The relay should switch the fridge on when the van is running, so being charged from the alternator and is at a higher voltage. It's called a Voltage Sensing Relay or VSR.

A good choice is a Smartcom like this:
smartcom-relay.jpg

I see your in North Wales, anywhere near Colwyn Bay?

Reason I ask, is I have one here, new and unused, that you can have cheap. Plus I can talk you through the wiring if it helps.
David

Hi David,
I’m located in Wrexham but a trip out in the car isn’t too far - what price are you asking?
Vic

David, I already have a STERLING battery to battery unit fitted in my van, it’s the 12v fridge Relay I need - does your ‘smartcom’ do this ?
Vic

Wissel

David, I already have a STERLING battery to battery unit fitted in my van, it’s the 12v fridge Relay I need - does your ‘smartcom’ do this ?
Vic
Yep. Here's a drawing of my old elecs with the Smartcom where it would have been fitted (ended up with a compressor fridge):
Battery_400A_Setup_CTEK_MASTER1.gif
The live from the Smartcom can be attached anywhere from the starter battery, to the connection on your Sterling. This will mean it only comes on when the stater battery is being charged.

Hi David,
I’m located in Wrexham but a trip out in the car isn’t too far - what price are you asking?
Vic
You can have it for a fiver. Let me double check it's where I remember though before travelling :)

Wissel

Cool. I'll be in the workshop within the hour, so I'll let you know then if I found it. I'll PM you my details if so.

Wissel

Was where I thought it was :cool:

IMG_20190308_100804.jpg
IMG_20190308_100820.jpg
I'll PM you.

n brown

smartcom is ideal for the job - good price too !