Fitting gas heater.Any one done this.

karlpe

Hi I'm looking to install a gas heater from a caravan can any give me any info on models and how hard body are to fit.Also I have insulated floor will this be an issue .
Thanks

Alf

Is it a gas fire or convector
heater gasfires are frowned on now as fire risk etc. If money aloud a Eberspacher run off Deisel is the way to ok.

Having had a look at your conversion which I might add looks superb where are you going to mount the heater and with only a small bottle you might find yourself out of Gas !!1

Alf

Last edited by a moderator:

channa

The issue you have with a open gas fire other than the fire risk is you need to recalculate your ventilation requirements to do the job safely.

Carver and trumatics are room sealed , the issue with carvers is spare parts can be an issue. both require an aperture in the floor with exhaust pipes brake lines etc underneath a vehicle options are limited as per the location of the heater within the van ...carvers not all exhaust through the floor as per NBrowns link.others ventthrough the roof of the van ccomplicating matters even further if roof vents adjacent etc.

I am assuming a self build if no fire already present which may make it easier.

If money allows I would echo Alfs advice re a diesel powered eberspacher.. Only issue with those is the battery needs good charge for the ignition sequence.

Channa

Debs

Forum Member
I fitted a trumatic heater to my self build, and coupled with good insulation, it is the best heater I have ever had. It did take some planning and a download off tinterweb to help for precise measurements. I double checked my measurements, then checked again and went for it. It uses gas and a piezo igniter, so no battery power required. There are a couple of pics I posted, but don't know how to put a link to them.

karlpe

Thanks for replies folks. Seems a tad of a faff about from the information above. It is self build and when I built it I didn,t want heater as planned EHU for colder times. Finding this site opened my eyes to wild camping hence the after thought on heating. Will investigate diesel heater see how that works.

listerdiesel

+1 on the Propex gas heaters, less picky about battery voltage and independent of your road fuel. We have a 1600 in the trailer and a new HS2000 bought for the Mercedes.

Installation is fairly simple, you need two holes in the floor for air in and out for combustion, the air for heating is recirculated within the M/H. 12V feed and LPG feed.

Here's ours in the trailer:

DBTrailerInt061310.jpg

DBTrailerInt061311.jpg

DBTrailerInt0613014.jpg

It is under the seat on the offside front, it can run with bedding over it as the case doesn't get that warm, as long as the air inlet doesn't get blocked.

Inlet and exhaust:

Propex1.jpg

LPG feed not fitted in the pictures, we Teed off from the water heater which is at a lower level at the end of the seat.

DBTrailerInt061331.jpg

Peter

Last edited by a moderator:

Alf

Gas heating is ok where 6kg bottles are used or bulk tanks.
gas heating is restrictive where small bottles and limited bottle storage.

Alf

wiggy

Hi does anyone know if the carver 4000 is a fire or convector heater many thanks

n brown

Forum Member
it's a convector heater that has a flame inside it ! not sure if you'd call that a fire though . anyway the flame,like other Carvers, heats up the metal box it's in and hot air rises. it also has a fan which blows air across the box and through ducting.it also has, i believe, 2 x 1kw 240v elements for use when on EHU

wiggy

Cheers n brown was just wondering how safe it was but I suppose if fitted in van by manufacturer you would think it is okay Peugeot based Autohomes way finder

listerdiesel

Gas heating is ok where 6kg bottles are used or bulk tanks.
gas heating is restrictive where small bottles and limited bottle storage.

Alf

Up to a point I'd agree, but how many times are you going to use it in a year?

Even if I was going winter touring I'd still prefer gas as a fuel, you have it in the motorhome for cooking and hot water and fridge so tankage is already there.

Having a refillable tank is a no-brainer if you're off on your travels.

Peter

n brown

Forum Member
Cheers n brown was just wondering how safe it was but I suppose if fitted in van by manufacturer you would think it is okay Peugeot based Autohomes way finder
i would say it's very safe .
the flame is completely enclosed by the metal box ,which itself is covered by an outer layer of thin steel and aluminium, the front cover and rear baffle plate.
exhaust gases are removed via a flue which goes through the roof. if so, make sure it's clear of leaves etc.
i don't know this model, it may have a balanced flue going through the floor below, also safe
but always have a carbon monoxide detector anyway !

Mr D

Up to a point I'd agree, but how many times are you going to use it in a year?

Even if I was going winter touring I'd still prefer gas as a fuel, you have it in the motorhome for cooking and hot water and fridge so tankage is already there.

Having a refillable tank is a no-brainer if you're off on your travels.

Peter

I'm guessing you have an underslung lpg tank like me. I have a propex heater hs2000 and I find the heat to be okay but not great. I checked the manual and it says the heater doesn't burn as hot when using lpg for vehicles from the pump; burns hotter with calor gas. I'm a bit gutted tbh. Is this your experience or do you have a bigger model.

pughed2

safety first

hello karp..........all these posts are very interesting but if you are installing any carbon fuel burner, which includes calor, and diesel I am told with every appliance SAFETY FIRST, HAVE A CARBON MONOXIDE DETECTOR FITTED...... digital screen models best, but all available everywhere................steve bristol

molly 2

I have a Truma 2400,gas blown air ,get about 5 days heating on low, from a 6kg callor light .£22.I have a 6 kg gasit brings the cost down to about £7 .Down side of blown air is battery power .In winter solar would not be enough .110 amp about 3/4 days .

Deleted member 2572

Barry's will be a modern one that is only a blown air heater not a convection, he has no choice.

hextal

I fitted a propex hs2000 and it's great.

The van is a mwb, massively insulated with a thermal bulkhead between habitation area and cab.

It takes minutes to get from cold to warm (obviously a very vague statement, think the lowest I've started from was about 5 degrees).

No idea how efficient it is, we fitted a 25l underslung tank about 4 years ago (so 20l of LPG) and started using the van properly about 2 years ago, and the tank is still about 3/4 full.

As an aside, and I know it gets discussed lots, if you have an underslung tank suspended by straps, give them a regular check as they are often coated in chipguard type rubberised paint. Its godawful stuff and basically allows the straps to rot away with no outward signs of a problem.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)