Esparcher night heater installation

n brown

Forum Member
i put a separate tank on my first eber. just more hassle and diesel stink . tank's still around i think

mistericeman

Forum Member
Frankly the only viable reason for having a separate tank is IF you want to use a diesel Eberspacher in a petrol vehicle ....
other than that a separate tank is just pfaff and unneeded complication ....
A diesel Eber uses so little fuel if you are wanting to run it on red you would be better with tea lights and a plant pot (joking BTW)

Deleted member 36

Hey guys cool, it was just an option if the proper way was too much hassle

wildebus

Forum Member
Frankly the only viable reason for having a separate tank is IF you want to use a diesel Eberspacher in a petrol vehicle ....
other than that a separate tank is just pfaff and unneeded complication ....
A diesel Eber uses so little fuel if you are wanting to run it on red you would be better with tea lights and a plant pot (joking BTW)
Or ...... you have a Diesel vehicle which you run on SVO..... I was looking for a suitable location for a 2nd fuel tank on my veggie powered T4 but never got round to fitting the heater in the end in it (used on the T4 instead).

PS. My understanding is that red diesel is kerosene aka heating oil? If this IS the case, then Eber don't recommend using it anyway (I checked as if I were fit a second tank it would make sense to scoop oil out of the home heating tank)

mistericeman

Forum Member
Or ...... you have a Diesel vehicle which you run on SVO..... I was looking for a suitable location for a 2nd fuel tank on my veggie powered T4 but never got round to fitting the heater in the end in it (used on the T4 instead).

PS. My understanding is that red diesel is kerosene aka heating oil? If this IS the case, then Eber don't recommend using it anyway (I checked as if I were fit a second tank it would make sense to scoop oil out of the home heating tank)

Red diesel AFAIK is almost if not identical to white diesel just with a dye/chemical trace added..

I Know folks that reckon they have run their eberspacher on veg oil.... but frankly I'd not bother (tried it for a while in one of the Landrovers powered by a, 2.5 tdi... and I wouldn't bother again unless I was getting WVO fully processed for free)

Deleted member 2572

Red diesel AFAIK is almost if not identical to white diesel just with a dye/chemical trace added..

I Know folks that reckon they have run their eberspacher on veg oil.... but frankly I'd not bother (tried it for a while in one of the Landrovers powered by a, 2.5 tdi... and I wouldn't bother again unless I was getting WVO fully processed for free)

Yes red is normal diesel with dye to signify duty free for non road use , having said that my old mate ran all his vehicles for 30 years or more traveling all over Europe, the crafty old git even used to hide full oil drums of red to fill on way back !
I had a tank for my plant and he would come over and fill up with red in his car or camper in later years.
I often wonder if the old bugger is still alive , he used to get a standby ticket on the ferries then swap the windscreen label from some poor unsuspecting holidaymakers as they had tea in the port cafe .
Spent his life ducking and diving a proper character.
Forgot one of his best was his love of vat !
Charged his customers vat for years but he was never registered :lol-049:

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted member 36

Yes, Red is the same stuff, just coloured so the Custom and Excise can recognise it, and there is also Green!
A Transport Company that I worked for got one hell of a bIG fine! Something in the region of a million and it took them down along with lots of sub contractors!

wildebus

Forum Member

Eberspacher will void the warranty if run on the wrong fuel - and veg oil would not be a good idea - it tends to get very thick and lumpy when it is cold - about the time you need the heater working ....
I used to use 100% rapeseed oil in the summer and gradually via a mix progress to 100% diesel in the winter (for the engine this is). One of my neighbours didn't bother changing in the winter - his pickup fuel lines had solid oil in them.

part way filling up here :dance:
imagejpg1-2 by David, on Flickr
(found the 20L drums a pain and no cheaper then the 1L bottles, so process was off to Bookers ... buy cases of oil... Fill up in carpark ... drop the empties at their recycling area)

Welsh will

Thanks everyone for your interesting comments. I intend on fitting a stand pipe into my original fuel tank, something i didnt know until i read all your advice so thank you.
It looks like the D2 will only use aprox 0.28 ltr fuel when on max so due to space im going to use the original fuel tank.
Im at present fitting a clutch & flywheel in the van as it slipped just the once but its slipped so want to play safe. Whilst i have it in air i think im going to drop tank and fit stand pipe ready for full installation. My intentions are to fit under drivers seat with heater fuel pump mounted in engine bay, mainly due to clicking issues on pump. What are your thoughts on mounting it under drivers seat? Read about some people mounting them underneath the vehicle...my concern with this is British weather! Working to a tight budget i dont really want to ve spending on a box.
Thanks again everyone for all your comments, as a novice converter i really appreciate them

mistericeman

Forum Member
Thanks everyone for your interesting comments. I intend on fitting a stand pipe into my original fuel tank, something i didnt know until i read all your advice so thank you.
It looks like the D2 will only use aprox 0.28 ltr fuel when on max so due to space im going to use the original fuel tank.
Im at present fitting a clutch & flywheel in the van as it slipped just the once but its slipped so want to play safe. Whilst i have it in air i think im going to drop tank and fit stand pipe ready for full installation. My intentions are to fit under drivers seat with heater fuel pump mounted in engine bay, mainly due to clicking issues on pump. What are your thoughts on mounting it under drivers seat? Read about some people mounting them underneath the vehicle...my concern with this is British weather! Working to a tight budget i dont really want to ve spending on a box.
Thanks again everyone for all your comments, as a novice converter i really appreciate them

Ours is under the passenger seat (swivel) (transit Jumbo) with pump mounted externally under the drivers side on a rubber mount...
If you listen hard you can just hear the fuel pump click....

Alf

While it's in the Air remove the plate underfloor on the Drivers side. You will see how much room there is to fit the heater you will only need to route the heater air up through the floor. Note there is a limit to how far the pump can be from the heater I think in the engine bay will be too far. The heater noise if fitted under the drivers seat will be considerable most only fit there because they don't have the lifting access you have.
Under the drivers seat seems to be the best choice for the leisure battery.

Whilst fitting fit an additional silencer and an intake air silencer it's well worth the additional cost if you sell the van you can remove to fit on the next one.

Alf

wildebus

Forum Member
I fitted mine under the drivers seat, but inside the vehicle. Didn't find it noisy at all except when at full blast - and that only lasted a few minutes. I found the fridge made no more noise then the Eber on maintenance mode.
I would not fit th heater.under the chassis even though VW may do that. They don't need to worry about it working after 3 years is up do they!

If you happen to have the battery under the drivers seat,.it will fit just the same under thr passenger seat for relocation needs.

Tip for lowering tank ... get some threaded rod and replace each bolt in turn with a length of rod. Then you can lower for enough access and still have the tank fully supported.

wildebus

Forum Member
Ps. The pump clicking ... yes you hear it but it is a small pump and really not as bad as.some people make out.

FULL TIMER

when you fit the D2 you will need to cut a 5 inch round hole through the floor of the vehicle for the heater mounting plate so the exhaust and combustion air inlet pipes along with the fuel pipe connection are all under the vehicle, the pump will also need to be mounted under the vehicle (they are designed for this) and when mounting take notice of the mounting instructions as they have to be fitted at an angle to prevent air bubbles the pump should come with a rubber mount which will minimise the ticking sound.

Alf

Mines been underneath the van for 11 years when inspecting at van service time it looks brand new out of the box

Alf

I fitted mine under the drivers seat, but inside the vehicle. Didn't find it noisy at all except when at full blast - and that only lasted a few minutes. I found the fridge made no more noise then the Eber on maintenance mode.
I would not fit th heater.under the chassis even though VW may do that. They don't need to worry about it working after 3 years is up do they!

If you happen to have the battery under the drivers seat,.it will fit just the same under thr passenger seat for relocation needs.

Tip for lowering tank ... get some threaded rod and replace each bolt in turn with a length of rod. Then you can lower for enough access and still have the tank fully supported.

Welsh will

Well just an update everyone. Thanks to all your advice iv now dropped the tank and fitted a stand pipe to the fuel sender unit. The instructions gave the spot where to drill and actual pipe clips in neatly on sender once fitted.
Thanks for the advice and pointing in right direction. Tank goes back in tomorrow then il finish the top bits of clutch/flywheel replacement before cracking on with rest of conversion. Sound proofing and insulation next before my big wiring challenge.
Have attached some pics but not sure if it will upload.

tranivanman

You are right as I found out when following my own link, seems a while since i needed to fit a standpipe as all the recent fits I've done have been on Transits, Merc Sprinters and VW Crafters all using the the small push fit kits etc that fit to the nipple already provided on the tank senders

Ive recently fitted one in my transit and bought one of the fitting kits, however it didnt work, was sucking air all the time ,reason was you have to be very careful when cutting the top of the nipple on the tank, take to much of and the elbow joint fitting wont seal, as was the problem with mine.
pushed the pickup pipe into the hole and then put a small diameter pipe over the nipple and hey presto away the heater went, lovely.
third van ive fitted one to all transits.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)