Eberspacher help please

Rodeo

This bus Ive got has a D4 model.I havent a clue if it works.Have read info from the eber site,but it talks of having a remote to set the fan speed etc etc.Perhaps it just has basic controls,but i cant see a way of firing it up etc.Anyone got any basics to look for? I want get it working before I reposition it from under the double passenger seat to somewhere in the rear area.Looks like just extending the wiring and moving the exhaust pipe?

FULL TIMER

Try having a look through this website Eberspacher D2 plenty of info there look under the sections "controllers" and "air heaters" if you have a bus I would hazard a guess that you will have the rheostat controller, to turn the heater on you just turn this to one of the heat settings the centre arrow should light up green indicating that the heater is switched on, the heater fan should start turning after a minute or so and eventually kick into life

Last edited by a moderator:

kenjones

I have a D2.
Before you look for big problems check that there is plenty of battery power, sometimes I need to run the engine until the heater fires up.
Give it time, when you switch it on nothing seems to happen for about a minute while the unit warms up.

Rodeo

Well I havent sussed this thing out yet! Is there anywhere I could take it to a service centre or someone who knows about them? I also need advice on re siting it and need to know do they recirculate air (as this one appears to) or can they be connected to out side air.Or even if it is knackered etc.

Rodeo

Thanks.According to the manuals,there should be a controller rheostatetc,but I havent got anything like that! Wondering if something like that has been removed or unplugged.

Steve121

Thanks.According to the manuals,there should be a controller rheostatetc,but I havent got anything like that! Wondering if something like that has been removed or unplugged.

Yes, it sounds like the controller has been removed. Unfortunately they're not cheap. You will find a selection on ebay, which will probably be somewhat cheaper than from an Eberspacher dealer. Note that some controllers have built-in Fault Code Readers - well worth paying a little extra for; could save yourself a lot of money in the long run!
Here's another manual which might help.
Is yours 12 or 24 volt?

FULL TIMER

If you could get the bus to me sometime (just outside Norwich) I could take a look / test etc might even have a rheostat controller knocking about, sometimes in buses or psv vehicles the actual rheostat is pre-set and hidden enabling switching on with a simple on / off switch. As for recirculating air this is how they normally work as they measure the temperature of the air passing through the heater using a sensor on the ECU which is inside the heater casing, you can bypass this sensor by fitting a controller with it's own temperature sensor this would enable you to use the outside air or a mix of internal /external air but in winter you would be using more energy to heat the cold outside air. As for moving the heater, should be easy enough by extending wires etc you will also need to move / extend the fuel supply line which connects under the heater, the exhaust pipe will probably fall to bits when you try to move it as they become very brittle at the first bend normally just under the heater, with the D4/ D2 you will normally have a bottom plate that the heater is bolted to from underneath this plate will require a 5 inch round hole through the floor in the new location.

Rodeo

Thanks everyone for all the info.I may take you up on your offer FT if I get any probs,but.....
Had a re-read of all the links supplied on this thread,and today had a look over the dashboard and found the rheostat ,which I had been thinking was some sort of light switch,so neatly fitted it looked original.Fired up the van engine and turned the rheostat,and to my amazement ,IT BLOODY WORKS!! Need to do some more reading regarding how it all operates,but at least it was blowing out hot after a couple of mins.
There seem to be about 4 wires to the actual unit.Also has a diesel on /off knob just under the n/s cill,so should be easy to extend the pipe from there.
Thanks for all the tips,I'll be back
Rod

Rodeo

....and Im back,lol....
I know that its best to start it with the vehicle engine running,but at what point is it ok to shutoff the vehicle engine? Also,are they very power hungry? Assume they should be wired to the leisure battery? Read stories of high power usage !

FULL TIMER

you should be able to start the heater without resorting to starting the engine but some people do this as the heater does use quite a bit of power whilst starting mainly due to the use of a glow plug, once the heater is running they use quite a bit less power I'm sure the figures will be on the Le Tonkinois website, but they are pretty efficient once started so best to get the thermostat / rheostat set to a point where the heater doesn't turn itself off when temperature is reached but just keeps ticking over on a low setting

Rodeo

Bit of an update..AKA Uber Eber news!....The unit is mounted acrossways under the double passenger seat,but I want to fit a single,swivelling pass seat.It all looked complicated,fitted between the legs of the existing seat.Unbolted seat from floor in readiness to remove the heater to a new position,then realised I could make a single seat frame to fit over the unit and still leave enough space to walk through to back between the seats.Just got to find a nice matching pair of replacement seats then I can make up a seat swivel and frame.So now Im happy with it.Perseverance paid off ,even though the toys were out of the frame a few times!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)