DVLC morons

dave docwra

Please don't take this the wrong way, The vehicle on first glance could be carrying a portakabin, would some lines/decals from cab to body change the look & convince the layman.

Dave.

daz

I thought they'd stopped this ridiculous "it doesn't look like" thing, a few (easily removable) decals will do the trick, or used to the last time they started doing this, ask them what guidelines they're following to ensure it looks like a camper, so you can follow the same guide, if there are no guidelines then ask they reclassify it as a camper because you have nothing to work to.

Tow Itch

No technical knowledge on this especially regarding the MOT but it's the DVLA you are dealing with.
You sent them a request to change two things they changed one but didn't refuse or even comment on the other. Never a good idea to over tax and ask for more than one thing.
Then you phoned to check what had happened. Phone is never good in a possible conflict. Don't know how the DVLA word it but all those possibly recorded conversations that never are when the people holding the tape are wrong.
As stated I'd try written or email communication to ascertain why they have not carried out your request and if there is a problem as stated on the phone why there was not a refusal in the written communication. At least you have a van that they may choose to interpret differently subsequently.
I know it's the licence side of DVLA but pity these poor buggers. Removal of Entitlements and Lack of Data Pre-1999 - a Freedom of Information request to Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency - WhatDoTheyKnow DVLA finally ends licence debacle | Pass Your Bike Test Motorcycle Entitlement "Disappeared" from my licence
The DVLA will now notionally, return your old licence. Only if you know about the issues and ask in advance. Except they are even failing to do this. The one successful case I know about is of a former employee of a motorcycle training company. Who after exhausting all avenues reminded the DVLA that he had signed the form for CBT passes. Therefore if he did not hold a valid licence all CBTs and subsequent licences issued to motorcyclists were invalid. His former employer held records when did the DVLA want them so they could start cancelling licences. Miraculously details were found. On a personal level a friend did his HGV test in the army as a class 2 while sharing a house with him years ago he was very pleased as he got a class 1 licence through the post. Which while he has never needed to use it he still holds.
All questions and all answers on paper don't trust them!

Harry Brown

Hello, If booked & presented at an official LGV test station & if the vehicle is still showing as a commercial vehicle on the system& doe's not meet 65% of its Axle weights it will fail, simplest thing for now is hand load it with items that fit through the door to reach 65% of it's axle weights, loading should only be required over the rear axle as the front will be ok for weight.

Dave.

Sorry, but I'm a little bit confused about this? I am looking at getting an Iveco Daily 50C, so it is classed as a HGV as over 3.5t. It will be classed as a commercial vehicle.
Are you saying that this would need to be loaded to 65% of its capacity for the vehicle test?

So, obviously if it is converted with bed in the back etc, you would not be able to load it with a pallet. I supposed it could be hand loaded with some weights but that could be quite a lot of stuff to bring it to 65%?

What I am asking is then, do all vans have to be loaded with a weight for testing?
Maybe I have miss understood?

Many thanks.

AndyC

Yes, the HGV test requires a 65% axle loading, except in a few cases. However the testing stations have a load simulator which applies the required load providing that there is access for it.

See this VOSA leaflet: http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/reposito...ain a satisfactory brake test - July 2011.pdf

VOSA have lots of downloadable info on vehicle testing here: Vehicle testing leaflets and here: Vehicle testing manuals and guides

You might find that a fully fitted camper, with full tanks, is at or over the 65% axle load anyway, a trip to a weighbridge will tell you.

AndyC

Last edited by a moderator:

greenman

Sorry, but I'm a little bit confused about this? I am looking at getting an Iveco Daily 50C, so it is classed as a HGV as over 3.5t. It will be classed as a commercial vehicle.
Are you saying that this would need to be loaded to 65% of its capacity for the vehicle test?

So, obviously if it is converted with bed in the back etc, you would not be able to load it with a pallet. I supposed it could be hand loaded with some weights but that could be quite a lot of stuff to bring it to 65%?

What I am asking is then, do all vans have to be loaded with a weight for testing?

Many thanks.

No the vehicle dose not need to be loaded' it will be tested as presented.
Yes load might help if you have poor brakes / not hand much use. As this will take the load sensor work and put more force to the rear breaks.

Harry Brown

No the vehicle dose not need to be loaded' it will be tested as presented.
Yes load might help if you have poor brakes / not hand much use. As this will take the load sensor work and put more force to the rear breaks.

Yes, the HGV test requires a 65% axle loading, except in a few cases. However the testing stations have a load simulator which applies the required load providing that there is access for it.

See this VOSA leaflet: http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/reposito...ain a satisfactory brake test - July 2011.pdf

VOSA have lots of downloadable info on vehicle testing here: Vehicle testing leaflets and here: Vehicle testing manuals and guides

You might find that a fully fitted camper, with full tanks, is at or over the 65% axle load anyway, a trip to a weighbridge will tell you.

AndyC

I'm still confused! those 2 posts conflict! Lol, If you look at AndyC's PDF link it does say that the vehicle needs to be loaded.

greenman, could you please explain how the vehicle can be tested as presented?

Many thanks.

daz

I'm still confused! those 2 posts conflict! Lol, If you look at AndyC's PDF link it does say that the vehicle needs to be loaded.

greenman, could you please explain how the vehicle can be tested as presented?

Many thanks.

The vehicle is presented as a motorhome, so should be tested as a motorhome, ie class 4, so no need for load testing

ivecotrucker

I agree Daz, it's all a question of is it a Class 4 or Class 7 MOT & that depends on what the vehicle is registered as when examined by the DVLA. Class 7 also now require speed limiter fitting. Even the Iveco 50C will be Class 4 if registered as PHGV motorhome. Ironically some, in fact a lot, of Class 4 MOT 'examiners' are more picky than their Class 7 colleagues, or so I've found over the years.

Labratmike

Civil servants

I'm an MOT tester, and totally agree that VOSA & DVLA as a whole are obstructive & unhelpful, although the individual people I spoke to were great.

I see them as the biggest obstacle to getting my Volvo motor home on the road.

dave docwra

Many thanks.

No if's or but's, the vehicle must have a minimum of 65% of axle weights on presentation for test, if vehicle is underweight VOSA can load with a load simulator but you are responsible to allow access for the safe operation of the load simulator, if not possible you will need to load it safely to reach the required weight.

Dave.

AndyC

The vehicle is presented as a motorhome, so should be tested as a motorhome, ie class 4, so no need for load testing
Indeed, a vehicle registered as a 'motor caravan', and presented as not being used for carrying goods or burden, will have a Class 4 test whatever its GVW.

However the OP stated that the Iveco Daily 50C would be presented as a commercial vehicle over 3.5 tonnes GVW, so it would be an HGV test.

AndyC

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)