DVLA requirements for change to motor caravan

• Thread starter Deleted member 4404
  • Start date

Squiffy

Forum Member
and at least 2 windows on one side not including the passenger or drivers door ... thats going to stop the single window conversions and no more coach or bus conversions either
That also if you read correctly means that you only have to have two windows on one side and nothing on the other ???? So one side looks like a motor home and the other side looks like a van with some commercial companies graphic colours ??? Phil

Bouydog

Forum Member
Having read the complete document now, happy to see I am on the list as body type special mobile unit.
I will have all the requirements on the checklist apart from the bloody graphics, photoshop maybe.
I feel for all who are well into a conversion that will be refused on the basis of this new list.

Squiffy

Forum Member
Another thing there is no mention of Heki type rooflights, they say at least two windows to allow sufficient light into the habitation area, so it would suggest it's not to do with looking like a motor caravan, so if you have a large skylight but no windows does that discount it ???? It seems to me that they have put this up and are waiting for the flak from Mr and Mrs general public. As I said this smacks of AMENDMANTS. Phil

Pugwash69

Forum Member
I thought this too Squiffy. My roof is about 50% semi-transparent. I only put windows in for the view out.
What qualifies as a high top roof? How about a normal van roof? Is it high enough?
I have a van registered as a motorcaravan and just a stripe down the side. Does that make them officially motorhome style for everyone else? I'm willing to provide photos as support. I put the stripe on after it was re registered too!

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
As I read it the windows requirement was a minimum. What bothers me is the number of doors required. Though I do have an emergency exit, I guess that counts as a door to the habitation area.

MarkJ

Forum Member
Might be wrong, but I wonder if this is to try and stop people such as tradesman who use a van for work trying to get it reclassified as a motorhome, saving on insurance etc? Not trying to cast aspersions, but you do see some strange things on campsites. Where we were last weekend was what was clearly a work van (full of tools) parked on a pitch, looking like a camper.

GEOFF

I have to say that I do not find the requirements (apart from graphics - which I do not yet have, but do intend to fit) are really quite reasonable, and in fact very little different from what they have been for years. Geoff.

Squiffy

Forum Member
I have to say that I do not find the requirements (apart from graphics - which I do not yet have, but do intend to fit) are really quite reasonable, and in fact very little different from what they have been for years. Geoff.
I agree Geoff other than the Graphics, my point on the windows is that the train of thought put into the document is a bit subjective, and the reasoning not been made precisely clear, if it's to make it look like a motor caravan or allow a descent amount of light in which a large Heki would suffice. Phil

Pugwash69

Forum Member
The graphics requirement is a bit vague still and unqualified. Are they asking for those whoosy shapes and stuff? That was one thing my wife said she specifically hated :) She likes the stripe I added and thought the lettering would be bad until I showed it fitted.

GEOFF

In my opinion a van with a large rooflight (or even a glass roof) would let in plenty of light, but would still LOOK like a van, covering the requirement for light, but not meeting the external appearance requirement. Geoff.

Devon ducato builder

but a roof light isnt a side window is it... i think the thinking behind that comes from the terminology 'caravan' so if the van is to be declared as a 'motorcaravan' on the v5 then it needs side windows ... lets face it how many caravans have you seen without side windows? and the requirement has been in place as listed in road construction of use act since 1980

Devon ducato builder

i see lots are already struggling to understand this line already

1571751519711.png

Squiffy

Forum Member

View attachment 1767
Oh I think I understand it, however their explanation is off kilter as they say it's to allow sufficient light into the accommodation "Not so that it looks like a motor caravan". Their reasoning does not stand up to their intentions as a Large Heki would do just the same, it should state two intentions 1) that it makes it look like a motor caravan and 2) that it allows sufficient light into the accommodation. I might be knit picking but many others will question the standard. You would think that all the time they have been saying new standards are going to be published, that somebody would have test read their new standards. Phil

P.s. Test read by someone not involved with this particular legislation.

Last edited:

Squiffy

Forum Member
Motor caravan decals with fake windows as part of the design?
Looks probable, that's what I'm going to suggest to my Son when he requests V5 change, I mean actually gluing another privacy glass window onto the side of his van £53 quid wasted but then if it saves him on yearly insurance, then " What the hell". His design for beds 'Bunks' for his kids and projector screen on the other side negates the use of windows he has a maximum heki in the rear section and two windows in the rear doors plus a large window in the sliding door and one on the o/s front so plenty of light. Phil

GEOFF

View attachment 1767
I suspect that actually means 2 or more windows on the side of the van, ie at least 2 side windows, but not limited to them being on the SAME side, so you could have one or more on EACH side. I think this is to stop anyone thinking that rear facing (back doors) windows would count. Geoff.

Squiffy

Forum Member
I suspect that actually means 2 or more windows on the side of the van, ie at least 2 side windows, but not limited to them being on the SAME side, so you could have one or more on EACH side. I think this is to stop anyone thinking that rear facing (back doors) windows would count. Geoff.
Geoff this is my point, people are putting their own interpretation on what is required. My interpretation is that one side of the van should have at least two windows, " prove me wrong" I'm not being aggressive to you Geoff but you must surely see what I'm saying. Phil

P.S. With this sort of requirement it should not be a nebulous situation.

Last edited:

GEOFF

Phill, it would never have occurred to me that there was any aggression intended. I feel that it could be read either way as it does not state 2 windows on the SAME side. I do agree with your comment that the wording is poor/misleading. I do of course think that I have correctly understood how it was intended to read - time will tell, 2 hab windows on the same side would not be practical (and would look stupid) on some small vans and would just look like a commercial van, perhaps with some kind of graphics on the other side. I think they are looking for a window/windows on each side. No window on one side would IMHO STOP the vehicle from LOOKING like a motorcaravan, contravening the dvla's requirements. Geoff.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)