DVLA requirements for change to motor caravan

• Thread starter Deleted member 4404
  • Start date

Squiffy

Forum Member
As for double fixed bed, in our Ducato if we are on a fairly long holiday we leave the rear day seats set up as the double bed so that we don't have to keep putting it up and down. We like to lounge on the long rear seats reading and watching Tv, when we are on short stays and have the choice of a short or long table depending on the family coming in for dinner/Tea ect, when the bed is down and there is only the two of us we turn the front seats around and have the short table between us and slightly forward and lounge on the bed when we want to watch Tv or read, we find it quite an adequate way to work it. Phil

NickB

Had my meeting this morning in Owen Smith MP's Pontypridd Office.... nothing really to report except a letter will be sent today to the DVLA boss .... amongst other things requesting information why previous interpretation of the rules has been changed without announcement.
MP has to countersign a complaint to the Parliamentary Ombudsman if it goes that far.
A response within two weeks I believe will be asked for.
I haven't seen the letter obviously, guess I'll get a copy in the next few days.

Squiffy

Forum Member
We have a routine, at night I put the bed down and sort the bedding, whilst the wife does her nightly bathroom act, and in the mornings I go into the bathroom for my morning ablutions and she packs the bed and bedding away, I've designed it to be very easy to put up and dismantle the bed, the seat and back cushions stand up against the sides self supporting whilst the bedding is packed away. Phil

Squiffy

Forum Member
But Nick, when I spoke to DVLA they told me that no criteria had changed and would not change and their web site details haven't changed either, I specifically said that it is on the internet that they were changing the rules and she said "No criteria has changed it is the same criteria " she said that panel vans would be viewed in the same light as coach built that it must look like a motorhome, ( Let's forget about "The proper term" motor caravan) we all know what she means, so I feel sure that the response will be "No criteria has changed" and a reference given to their web site, I think that others ought to phone the DVLA and do as I did and ask specifically about Panel vans being turned into motorhomes and see if they get a different answer to me, all I can say is she was very specific that they do not discriminate between panel vans built by self builders or commercial builders that the criteria on their web site must be adhered to, she by the sound of her voice was not a daffy little thing either, she sounded quite authoritative though of course that maybe a completely incorrect sexist remark on my part. Phil

wildebus

Forum Member
Having a fixed bed is dead handy, and especially as you get older for sure!

PS. It is Millie Master who did the build log with documentation, not me, and while I have said the DLVA themselves don't really need it, I fully agree it is a good idea in general terms (y)
(I have myself actually done a Powerpoint Slide Set which covers "how to use" my van with the various features and requirements should any one borrow it :p )

Millie Master

Forum Member
Having a fixed bed is dead handy, and especially as you get older for sure!

PS. It is Millie Master who did the build log with documentation, not me, and while I have said the DLVA themselves don't really need it, I fully agree it is a good idea in general terms (y)
(I have myself actually done a Powerpoint Slide Set which covers "how to use" my van with the various features and requirements should any one borrow it :p )

I call it the belt and braces approach and as I wrote previously, I used the very same document to send off to the insurance brokers once the V5 had been changed.

Phil

Garywrench

Having recently finished my van - and it looks like a factory conversion on a new van - I applied for the change to Motor Caravan without any ‘motorhome’ graphics and got the V5 back with letter and ‘van/windows’ as ‘from the outside it doesn’t look like a motor caravan’..... it’s gold with polyvision windows, big Fiamma awning, loo locker door, water fill point etc.. getting daft. So today it went for some motorhome type stripes and they can’t say it doesn’t look like motor caravan now!
CA1876D7-5AA6-4984-A234-105B781EFCA8.jpeg

Squiffy

Forum Member
It would be interesting if you put up the photos that you sent to the DVLA Gary. Going by the photo you have put up now I think you have been hard done by and the DVLA would have to be bought to book, but as I say interesting to see those that you did send. Phil

Garywrench

It would be interesting if you put up the photos that you sent to the DVLA Gary. Going by the photo you have put up now I think you have been hard done by and the DVLA would have to be bought to book, but as I say interesting to see those that you did send. Phil
Same as that without stickers !
Gary
DE89ACCF-25D5-43A5-B35B-B29B7F67DC38.jpeg
7E853518-03DE-48AA-A010-F5578DE9BD40.jpeg
165815F4-1225-45B4-9B85-33DD6C1A76BB.jpeg
FBBEA19B-B9BE-446B-AC19-980D84D7A9A5.jpeg
4B21A168-240F-40EA-B30E-90E5D6AC572C.jpeg

Garywrench

24 photos all with comments describing each photos content, letter back says it’s obviously a motor caravan from the inside conversion but from the outside it’s not clear and resembles a van with windows .

wildebus

Forum Member
Nice job :)
clearly the rejections people are getting are non-genuine and being done for a yet-to-be-disclosed motive which is going to come out sooner or later.

Garywrench

I really think it’s having to look like a motorhome, from a quick glance, eg without stickers from the rear it could be a minibus ?

Squiffy

Forum Member
That is what the lady said to me Gary when I phoned that it had to look like a motorhome at first glance, so with the decals maybe they will pass it, because in all honesty there is not much more you can do to make it more motorhomey. Phil

Millie Master

Forum Member
This is complete and utter madness and is something that patently needs bringing to the attention to a higher authority!

Sheer speculation, but I wonder if there is someone in a senior position in this department of the DVLA who is a motorhomer and the owner of a swanky great coachbuilt 'A' class who doesn't want to see a ramshackle selection of panel van conversions being termed as motorhomes????

Surely there is a need for a presentation document to be sent to the head of the department at the DVLA, which shows a whole load of professionally converted panel vans showing at each time picture 'A' professional conversion accepted by the DVLA and picture 'B' rejected by the DVLA. In each case, the rejected conversions must be at least as good as the professional conversions, such as the brilliant conversions executed by Gary.

This document would also need to be sent to the relevant MP whose portfolio includes this grey area of responsibility.

Possibly one or both of themajor clubs need to be roped in, because I wouldn't mind betting that there are a lot of us who are members?

I honestly don't know, but something has to be done.

Phil

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
So taking the other side, being driven into work some 20 miles each way mainly on motorways. To amuse myself I play "spot the motorhome".
A conclusion from this I have made is that many commercial body builders use the same plastic mouldings for horse boxes, delivery vans and Motor homes. This is primarily based on the approaching frontal view.
I'm still more bothered about being classed as a "goods vehicle" rather than a "passenger vehicle"

Mark

RV2MAX

Forum Member
Maybe its time for someone who has been knocked back like above to re send in Pics with big cut vinyl letters 600mm tall saying "MY
MOTORCARAVAN " fitted to sides and rear ?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)