DVLA requirements for change to motor caravan

• Thread starter Deleted member 4404
  • Start date

GEOFF

Phill, it would never have occurred to me that there was any aggression intended. I feel that it could be read either way as it does not state 2 windows on the SAME side. I have deleted this post as a computer glitch led to double posting of a partly written post. Geoff.

Last edited by a moderator:

voyager

Forum Member
Does this not mean 2 windows on the same side.

interior photos of each one of the required features with the bed and table in the use position (see ‘Motor caravan internal features’ below); the photos must show that there are 2 or more windows providing daylight into the main living accommodation on at least one side of the main body

Greggbear67

Forum Member
Seems to me that even this new set of rules is down to personal interpretation. Surely if this is the required spec it should be written in such a specific way that is either right or wrong. Who, for instance decides if the rear windows let in "a reasonable amount" of light? Still a mess & still open to misinterpretation, seems we aren't any further forward just more hoops to jump through....

voyager

Forum Member
Seems to me that even this new set of rules is down to personal interpretation. Surely if this is the required spec it should be written in such a specific way that is either right or wrong. Who, for instance decides if the rear windows let in "a reasonable amount" of light? Still a mess & still open to misinterpretation, seems we aren't any further forward just more hoops to jump through....
What about these 2 statements from the DVLA
This list describes the external features which are commonly seen in motor caravans, and it is intended to provide guidance on what DVLA expects to see when considering your application:
This suggests to me some flexibility and not all features required.

Then there is this statement
For a vehicle to be recognised as being converted to a motor caravan, it must meet all 4 categories in this guidance. For DVLA to change the body type, the vehicle must have the external permanent features described in the DVLA guidance for converting a vehicle into a motor caravan.
This suggests to me that there is no flexibility and all features must be fitted

GEOFF

Rear windows are not fitted in the side of the van!!! Geoff.

Squiffy

Forum Member
Rear windows are not fitted in the side of the van!!! Geoff.
Yes Geoff that is not in question, but what is is that it states " Sufficient light to the habitation area: well rear windows does that. They do not say that side windows are to make it look like a motor caravan they state to " Allow sufficient light" . Phil

P.s. I personally don't care " I'm alright Jack pull the ladder up, I've already got "Motor caravan".

Deleted member 4404

I think the 'Reasonable amount of light' phrase is to stop people putting in very small windows and claiming their vehicle complies. Probably wrong, but I can see no other reason for them to add the phrase.

Squiffy

Forum Member
I think the 'Reasonable amount of light' phrase is to stop people putting in very small windows and claiming their vehicle complies. Probably wrong, but I can see no other reason for them to add the phrase.
I feel on consideration your probably right but it is still a statement without means to an end. Phil

GEOFF

I have just read on another site that somebody has spoken to the dvla and the requirement is for 2 SIDE windows, but they need NOT be on the same side. Geoff.

voyager

Forum Member
I have just read on another site that somebody has spoken to the dvla and the requirement is for 2 SIDE windows, but they need NOT be on the same side. Geoff.
I suspect that the next person to contact the DVLA will get a different answer.
It clearly states
2 or more windows on at least one side of the main body (this does not include windows on the driver or passenger doors) to provide a reasonable amount of daylight into the living accommodation
Also the checklist asks you to submit photos showing, amongst other things, 2 or more windows on at least one side of the body

Squiffy

Forum Member
As I suspected there is going to be a lot of debate over these written words as they are nebulous and transient in their application, and certainly not been thought through correctly, another case of folk who do not really understand the complexity of what they have control over. Phil

wildebus

Forum Member
As I suspected there is going to be a lot of debate over these written words as they are nebulous and transient in their application, and certainly not been thought through correctly, another case of folk who do not really understand the complexity of what they have control over. Phil
Well, to be fair, this means it is in line with the majority of information on the DVLA website and the general rules and regulations on driving as documented.
(I am being serious here. I think the level of ambiguity on a lot of the information on the rules of the road is deliberate as it would take a lot of effort to be that vague on so many matters)

GEOFF

I am going to ignore the window saga for now (knowing that I am right!!!, although I hope the dvla will modify it's wording soon), but would like to know more about the high roof requirement. Is it really intended to STOP new pop-tops or will there be a new category for them? Is for example a VW with an intermediate level roof a hi or low top? Geoff.

GEOFF

Since last posting I have heard that another person was told by dvla advisor that it means two windows on one side, so depending on who you speak to you may well get different answers. I am sure however that when it is made clearer it will mean at least 2 windows on the side of the van. I have also been told that POP tops may be permitted if the dvla is satisfied with everything else and that there is some discretion when the application is considered. One other thought I have had is about the low roof. Would anyone be interested in a fibreglass high top for the current (x25/290) low roof panel vans? just thinking out loud. Geoff.

voyager

Forum Member
Since last posting I have heard that another person was told by dvla advisor that it means two windows on one side, so depending on who you speak to you may well get different answers. I am sure however that when it is made clearer it will mean at least 2 windows on the side of the van. I have also been told that POP tops may be permitted if the dvla is satisfied with everything else and that there is some discretion when the application is considered. One other thought I have had is about the low roof. Would anyone be interested in a fibreglass high top for the current (x25/290) low roof panel vans? just thinking out loud. Geoff.
Don't really understand why anyone is confused by this, it couldn't be any clearer.
The guidelines clearly state:
2 or more windows on at least one side of the main body (this does not include windows on the driver or passenger doors) to provide a reasonable amount of daylight into the living accommodation
Also the checklist asks you to submit photos showing, amongst other things, 2 or more windows on at least one side of the body

GEOFF

Don't really understand why anyone is confused by this, it couldn't be any clearer.

Wait untill the dust settles - I am sure it is intended to read at least 2 or more side windows. Geoff.

Squiffy

Forum Member
Apparently people have had two differing answers if that's to be believed from the DVLA themselves, so if the DVLA bods are getting it wrong, there is definitely a problem with the wording. Phil

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)