DVLA requirements for change to motor caravan

• Thread starter Deleted member 4404
  • Start date

MarkJ

Forum Member
Pardon my newbie ignorance, but apart from the totally understandable annoyance, what are the practical implications of being classed as 'van with windows' rather than 'motor caravan'?

I understand insurance may cost more - is that right?

But mightn't VED be less? (Though that might depend on weight, possibly?)

Sorry if a dumb question....

Squiffy

Forum Member
Hi Mark,
In general it's
(A) Speed restrictions
(B) Insurance much harder to get agreed value
(C) Toll road, Bridge, Tunnel and in some cases Ferry costs.
(D) Wild camping is not so easy ( As plod is far more likely to investigate you ) NPRC
(E) Resale value.
(F) Being a member of the " Caravan and motorhome club" though this is now less of a problem.
(G) Self satisfaction.

These are a few that I can immediately think of but I'm sure others will come up with more reasons. Some of these are trivial points but none the less are relevant. Phil

MarkJ

Forum Member
Hi Mark,
In general it's
(A) Speed restrictions
(B) Insurance much harder to get agreed value
(C) Toll road, Bridge, Tunnel and in some cases Ferry costs.
(D) Wild camping is not so easy ( As plod is far more likely to investigate you ) NPRC
(E) Resale value.
(F) Being a member of the " Caravan and motorhome club" though this is now less of a problem.
(G) Self satisfaction.

These are a few that I can immediately think of but I'm sure others will come up with more reasons. Some of these are trivial points but none the less are relevant. Phil
Hi Phil

That's helpful, thanks. My current (non self-build) is over 3.5t, so I'm kind of used to the speed limits, toll charges and the tunnel costs..., but the others are all good points. As it happens, I'm staying with a mate on a campsite next weekend and I see in the small print of the booking Ts and Cs it says 'professional conversions only'.

I'm guessing all this kerfuffle has come about because of people abusing the system: I can imagine some van users who are really commercial operators trying to get away with reduced insurance etc. As ever, the 5% spoiling things for the 95%.....

Squiffy

Forum Member
Yes I think your right Mark, and there is in my view many self builders that are intentionally or maybe unintentionally abusing the system too, which has obviously pushed the DVLA to tighten up their views on what is a motorhome and what is not, again a situation where a few have spoiled it for the many 😕. Phil

Bmg

WELL HERE IT IS...

Dear Mr Bxxxx

Speed limit enquiries are usually dealt with by DfT however, because of some confusion over the speed limits for motor caravans, the DVLA have been working with the DfT to provide the information for customers.

As explained previously, the ‘body type’ information held on the DVLA record is primarily used to describe what a vehicle looks like externally in traffic and does not necessarily represent the vehicle’s function or use. If a converted van meets the definition of a motor caravan and does not exceed 3.05 tonnes unladen weight, then it is not restricted to lower speeds than the national limits and can travel at the same speed limits as a car. If a keeper is satisfied that the vehicle meets the definition of a motor caravan then it can be operated it as such regardless whether or not the DVLA have registered it as such in the ‘body type’ field.

We emphasise to vehicle keepers that even if DVLA are unable to change the body type, they are still able to use the vehicle as a motor caravan provided any alterations made do not compromise the vehicle’s safety.

Kind regards

Johnson Yuen
Vehicles Policy (Post Registration)
Strategy, Policy and Communications Directorate | C2 East | DVLA | Swansea | SA6 7JL

Morning,
Im really confused by this. So as long as you have a fully converted van, bed, windows , cooker etc you are not restricted to speed regardless of what the V5 states?
Im surprised somebody would have wrote that.
Are you comfortable with quoting this letter in correspondance i might need to have with the dvla.
Thanks
Barry

Millie Master

Forum Member
I question the need for a table too. Sometimes we like to eat from our lap trays!

My conversion complies with the need for a table as it is attached semi-permanently to a part of my vans conversion, however it is located on a holding bracket on the inside of the n/s back doors in what I term as the shed, oh and by the way we never use the table inside, prefering to have our plates on trays on our knees !

Phil

trevskoda

Forum Member
My conversion complies with the need for a table as it is attached semi-permanently to a part of my vans conversion, however it is located on a holding bracket on the inside of the n/s back doors in what I term as the shed, oh and by the way we never use the table inside, prefering to have our plates on trays on our knees !

Phil
Same here and i detest eating of ones lap.
You can see the wall clip between seats and the out of way wall storage.

Attachments

• table toilet door.jpg
    table toilet door.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 390
  • table seats.jpg
    table seats.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 346

GEOFF

No, yours is different Trev. Your table IS fixed to the van if being used and does comply. As I understand it Phils is purely stored in a fixture in the van and when (if) in use is freestanding which does in fact not technically comply with the dvla (or whatever it is now called) requirements. Sorry Phil!!! (Hard hat on and running for cover). Geoff.

Last edited by a moderator:

GEOFF

Phil (sqiffy), I was referring to the other Phil - of Renault master fame as he had commented about his table. I hope that you enjoyed your tea. Geoff.

Last edited by a moderator:

Squiffy

Forum Member
Phil (sqiffy), I was referring to the other Phil - of Renault master fame as he had commented about his table. I hope that you enjoyed your tea. Geoff.
I know that Geoff 😄 I was just making a statement as to the fact we use a table, and I have to say that although it's easily dismantled it stays up permanently and acts as a book shelf, remote stand, card table, dining table and many other uses. 👍Phil

Millie Master

Forum Member
I know, I know Geoff, I was bending the rules, but in my application I did send a large number of photographs none of which showed a table in situ, however I did read the requirements of the regulations through and through and came to my decision not to fit one in the habitation area and as I received a positive response back from the almighty within only 7 days of sending my application....................

Personally speaking, I have always thought that a permanent table is a daft requirement as for us at least with our interior layout, we would never ever use one!

Phil

GEOFF

We too use our table which also remains fitted most of the time. It only really ever gets taken down if we rotate the dual seat to enable us to sit facing out of the side door (when/if the sun shines) or if we need to carry something too large to allow the table to remain. When the table is removed it is clipped to the wall inside the wardrobe in cleats like Trevs. Geoff.

Squiffy

Forum Member
The only thing that I would as they say in parliament "Put in an amendment " 😡 is the graphics, to my mind that is a totally bourgeois use of power by the DVLA and really is unnecessary to determine the visual use of a vehicle. Phil.

Devon ducato builder

and at least 2 windows on one side not including the passenger or drivers door ... thats going to stop the single window conversions and no more coach or bus conversions either

Devon ducato builder

The only thing that I would as they say in parliament "Put in an amendment " 😡 is the graphics, to my mind that is a totally bourgeois use of power by the DVLA and really is unnecessary to determine the visual use of a vehicle. Phil.
they asked for graphics years ago the retracted it.... now its back i think to stop to many vans looking like each other

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)