DVLA Changes to Motorhome Builds 2019

Debs

Forum Member
I have had a good look at the new DVLA rules, and for the most part are quite straight forward, however there are a couple of problems with those rules regarding the outside of the vehicle. Motorhome graphics.....well that's not very specific and is open to much interpretation! Must look like a motorhome....yep, that is also open to interpretation! Must have an "awning bar" I know what an awning is and I know what an awning rail is, but an awning bar, can anybody enlighten me as to what this is? The final problem seems to be that the DVLA don't understand their own rules. I have seen campers on Youtube that have been knocked back, and yet look as if they were built in a factory. :unsure::(

RAW

Forum Member
I have had a good look at the new DVLA rules, and for the most part are quite straight forward, however there are a couple of problems with those rules regarding the outside of the vehicle. Motorhome graphics.....well that's not very specific and is open to much interpretation! Must look like a motorhome....yep, that is also open to interpretation! Must have an "awning bar" I know what an awning is and I know what an awning rail is, but an awning bar, can anybody enlighten me as to what this is? The final problem seems to be that the DVLA don't understand their own rules. I have seen campers on Youtube that have been knocked back, and yet look as if they were built in a factory. :unsure::(
No idea on "awning Bar" myself, I would guess it is somewhere to attach an awning.
The Van I am thinking of buying next has no graphics and is registered as a MH so I take it these rules only apply to new builds going forwards?
TIA

wildebus

Forum Member
No idea on "awning Bar" myself, I would guess it is somewhere to attach an awning.
The Van I am thinking of buying next has no graphics and is registered as a MH so I take it these rules only apply to new builds going forwards?
TIA
You would hope so! (I do as I am not sure Zebra stripes classify as giving a "motorhome look"?)

ref the "awning bar", it is an example of the language ambiguity. I am 99% sure they mean a rail/strip like you get on caravans to slide on a side awning. People say Roof Bars all the time when they are talking about Roof Rails. Yes, DVLA should be more careful of their words obviously if they don't want ambigiuity, but as I mentioned before, I don't think that is always an oversight as they seem to like to do this ;)

PS. Ref the "2 windows on one side" discussion ... I don't see any ambiguity in that myself as it happens and think that bit at least is very clear (but that's my interpretation :D )

• Thank You
Reactions: RAW

GEOFF

I do not understand why we now seem to have two threads in 2 different sections talking about the same things. Geoff.

• Funny
Reactions: RAW

RAW

Forum Member
Just as an aside when I went to the motorhome show and spoke to a Vendor the TAX for new purchase registration Motorhomes or Campers is around £2200 Year one and £500 the next 4 years after that, some government change to get more income from those with Motorhomes who they probably deem as Wealthy whereas many are not of the really wealthy class. So for anyone thinking of buying a new'ish one then get one on a 19 plate or before.
There is a petition to stop the change here and I will post it elsewhere on the other forums too
https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/268246

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)