Dual Solar regulator/controller?

TravellingGuys

Yeah, I will see how things go this year and revist my set up for next year should I come into any issues so thanks for your suggestions.

On ours the bathroom and toilet is towards the back with storage at the side, it's a bit hard to explain so I'll take some photos tomorrow and add them to my profile.

I love the Masters, it's an old type 2 but it's been a good van, passed all it's mots in the 6 or so years I've had it and only really needing a new clutch in that time. It caught up with me this year though :-( its been a nightmare...ball joints (big job on this van), rear calipers, shocker then our first trip out (Loch Lomond) the gearbox went.

vanmandan

Vanmandan,

Have you ever tried one of these? (pic included) I haven't myself and they seem a bit naff but for 15 quid it might be worth a shot.

thanks guys.....need a bit more juice than that.
got a 160W panel up top,
fitted that regulator, centre connections to the main battery,
other connections to the leisure......
both now up to 13.3V in mixed sun/clouds.
I'm a happy , juiced up camper.
sorry to hear about your gearbox.
sh*t happens !

Last edited by a moderator:

TravellingGuys

thanks guys.....need a bit more juice than that.
got a 1600W panel up top,
fitted that regulator, centre connections to the main battery,
other connections to the leisure......
both now up to 13.3V in mixed sun/clouds.
I'm a happy , juiced up camper.
sorry to hear about your gearbox.
sh*t happens !

Good to hear you are sorted. Yeah was a hard hit but back up and running now so it's all good :)

philgb

Hey all,

Has anyone used this regulator or any dual battery regulator?

I have just switched one of my MPPT controllers for it today.

My current set up is 4 x 100w panels, 2 feeding a 120ah battery for tv, lights, pumps, 12v sockets and usb sockets with the other 2 panels feeding another 120ah battery for high draining items, 12v kettle, 12v stove, inverter for the water heater and fridge.

I recently installed a fan so decided to get another battery, rather than split the panels and mess on running new cables I thought I'd try a dual battery regulator but have never used one or heard how they perform.

Both my MPPT's are a great deal bigger than this, both have heat sinks on the back and both have thermistor vent but this has nothing like that which has me feeling a bit iffy lol.

It was from EBay and the seller had sold 192 prior so assume it's fine but would appreciate any input.

The dual solar controllers come in 10amp or 20amp

10amp would suit 1 or 2 x 110amp batteries, connected to 1x 100 Watt solar panel. (ideally 1 x 100w solar panel to 1x 120amp battery)

The 20amp version would suit 2 x 100watt solar panels connected to 2 x 110 amp batteries

Your 4 x 100 W solar panels connected to 2 seperate 120amp batteries seems like overkill! and will the small dual controllers plus wiring size and what size fuzes are you using ? to take that load?
It dosnt sound right. just a thought. If I'm wrong I apologise now.

TravellingGuys

The dual solar controllers come in 10amp or 20amp

10amp would suit 1 or 2 x 110amp batteries, connected to 1x 100 Watt solar panel. (ideally 1 x 100w solar panel to 1x 120amp battery)

The 20amp version would suit 2 x 100watt solar panels connected to 2 x 110 amp batteries

Your 4 x 100 W solar panels connected to 2 seperate 120amp batteries seems like overkill! and will the small dual controllers plus wiring size and what size fuzes are you using ? to take that load?
It dosnt sound right. just a thought. If I'm wrong I apologise now.

Hi Philgb,

The 4 panels are now feeding 3 batteries.

There are 2 x 100w panels going through a 30amp controller to feed a 120ah battery for my lower-drain items.

2 x 100w panels going through a 20amp dual battery controller feeding 2 batteries 1 x 120ah which runs my high drain items then a 85ah battery which at the moment only runs my new fan, when I have the time I will connect a couple of new usb chargers.

I'm not sure what you refer to when saying overkill, do you mean I don't need 400w to feed my batteries? If so then in the summer no maybe I don't, possibly I could get away with less in winter but I'd struggle.

I pretty much solely wild camp unless I need to go to a site for say a washing machine. I could get away with fewer panels and batteries on short trips but on longer trips I'd struggle. On Wednesday I will be away for 11 days, two years ago I toured Germany and Holland for 36 days and I've never ran flat so maybe you're right and its not all needed but I'd prefer to have too much power than not enough.

philgb

I think overkill was the wrong word, I agree in that more solar and power storage is bril, I just couldn't get my head round the way you connected it all.
But that's just me.
All the best with it

TravellingGuys

I didn't mind the phrase overkill ;) Yeah, it's evolved over the years, originally I only had the 2 panels and 1 battery but soon realised that wasn't enough, unfortunately by that point the van was fitted out and there was no room for another battery where I had placed the original so I've ended up with batteries at seperate ends of the van.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)