Driving Lighting Upgrade to Talbot Talisman ?

RAW

Forum Member
So now the indicator is broken by Rogue pheasant I am wondering if it would be possible to upgrade the Talbot Lighting for the Van's external driving lights rather than me try and hunt down old parts which will likely be quite expensive, has anyone done anything like this ?

Millie Master

Forum Member
If you show us all an image of the front of your passion wagon that might give us some idea of what you are trying to achieve.

RAW

Forum Member
Bit tricky at the moment as parking tight against a wall and awkward to move her
The images below should be enough to work it out, damaged light, non-damaged light and grill

20190409_113329.jpg
20190409_113339.jpg
20190409_113355.jpg

THANKS

Deleted member 4404

Might be worth looking at trailer lights and see if you could 'adapt' one to fit.

Reactions: RAW

Millie Master

Forum Member
Those were such low rent vehicles being manufactured by a company that was existing almost hand to mouth, as such, as sure as eggs is eggs the light units won't be individual to only this make and model.
But if you can't find any it will be a very easy job to blank off the recessed light unit with a piece of black painted aluminium or plastic and then mount some of the light units as fitted to the likes of Land Rover Defenders as secondary lights, similar to these:- http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/section.php/141/1/indicator-and-rear-lamps

Phil

ps. Did the surround panel moulding trim piece also get wrecked by the pheasant?

wildebus

Forum Member
Get any numbers that are embossed on the lights and put them into a search engine on line and see what comes up.
Expanding Millie masters point, even expensive vehicles share parts. Loads of Porsche parts can also be found on VW cars. My "VW" has many parts that are Mercedes, many parts will also be found on other VWs, Seats, Audis and Skoda's.

Any headlights that are square like that are pretty generic. Same as the indicator. I would be inclined to take the measurements of the lights and got to a local scrapyard. You could wander around and see what may be suitable donors. Also most scrapyards have got boxes and boxes of lights ready. Show them what you have and ask them to check for similar or if you can take a look through yourself.

PS. are those beam deflectors on there because they are LHD Headlights or just from some previous continental trip? I'd get rid of those! (And if they are LHD lights possibly, I think they have to be changed anyway for a UK MOT?)

RAW

Forum Member
ps. Did the surround panel moulding trim piece also get wrecked by the pheasant?

YES Moulding was broken as well, and also the iconic Talbot Logo in centre of grill lost and probably run over by.
Good idea on blanking and using different fittings, that could be low cost with better lighting as folk have said the headlights are crap on these model.

Thanks
Robert

RAW

Forum Member
... it will be a very easy job to blank off the recessed light unit with a piece of black painted aluminium or plastic and then mount some of the light units as fitted to the likes of Land Rover Defenders as secondary lights, similar to these:- http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/section.php/141/1/indicator-and-rear-lamps

Hiya Phil,

Following on from that then would it be better to fit some new lights and blank off existing two lights at the front do you think, which would give a better newer lighting solution at the front of the vehicle, however would change the "look" of the front, and so I wonder what impact that might have on value if I decide to sell on in the future

Cheers
Robert

Millie Master

Forum Member
Robert you are in the driving seat so to speak!
If you decide to upgrade the headlights that will be a far bigger job as you will have to engineer into the installation captive points which are adjustable which is of course doooooable but it would be a pain!
As for the side lights and indicators then the mod I suggest, including a new surround for the headlights should be an easy modification to execute, however it could impact on the resale value of your truck, but having said that, I doubt very much if the Talbot will ever become a collectors vehicle.

Phil

trevskoda

Forum Member
When and if you upgrade do fill led bulbs to parking tail and brake lights as they dond give the old trouble of hard filaments breaking,also do all inside lights as well.

Attachments

• Screenshot-2017-12-6 1156 smd led bulbs soft white eBay.png
    Screenshot-2017-12-6 1156 smd led bulbs soft white eBay.png
    88.8 KB · Views: 227
  • Screenshot-2017-12-6 1156 smd led bulbs soft white eBay(1).png
    Screenshot-2017-12-6 1156 smd led bulbs soft white eBay(1).png
    80.1 KB · Views: 231

RAW

Forum Member
When and if you upgrade do fill led bulbs to parking tail and brake lights as they dond give the old trouble of hard filaments breaking,also do all inside lights as well.
I did some research and these cheaper Chinese LED's do not give out as much energy and lighting ability as Halogens by the looks of the investigations carried out here

Thanks though :)

RAW

Forum Member
Someone has offered me the full front:- grill mouldings and all lights plus some extras for £80 posted BUT all mouldings are GREY ?
Or I can pick up a single black moulding and the indicator for £31 posted
What would you do ?

GEOFF

I would go for the lot - gives you some spares and even the missing Talbot badge. It should be fairly easy to paint bits black. Geoff.

trevskoda

Forum Member
I did some research and these cheaper Chinese LED's do not give out as much energy and lighting ability as Halogens by the looks of the investigations carried out here

Thanks though :)
Correct for h/lights but side/parking and breaking they are miles ahead,my van and cars all changed over years back because when slamming down tail gate filliments were knocked out on old type bulbs.
Also all inside lights should be led soft type.
lts b.jpg

Attachments

• lts a.jpg
    lts a.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 350

RAW

Forum Member
I would go for the lot - gives you some spares and even the missing Talbot badge. It should be fairly easy to paint bits black. Geoff.
I paid £80 to this email through PayPal lanarkshirecaravanspares@yahoo.co.uk - A chap called Richard who runs some sort of Campervan spares business and he posted in the Facebook Talbot Group, having sent him £80 and then him not getting in contact with me plus then finding out that he had 1) A dodgy web address, this one and 2) A non-working email at yahoo or a disabled mailbox (see images) - he has refunded me the money, although I won't apparently get it until the 19th April!! and blocked me on Facebook saying "look buddy ive been running this business for 8 years ive moved from caravans into campervans, also run a pet shop and a garage, with the amount of moaning your doing already il just refund you, as i dont need the hassle, have plenty return customers also needing these parts. i dont sit watching the internet all day, i work most of the day"

I am, consequently, more than a little bit jacked off !!

Attachments

• Address_Not_found.jpg
    Address_Not_found.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 336

RV2MAX

Forum Member
Looks like the other option then
"Or I can pick up a single black moulding and the indicator for £31 posted "

RAW

Forum Member
Looks like the other option then
"Or I can pick up a single black moulding and the indicator for £31 posted "
Luckily I found someone on a Facebook Group who sold me two indicators and two surrounds for £43 posted.
The indicator switching relay unit has failed I think so now waiting on one of those before I fit new old indicator

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)