Do not allow shadows to fall on your solar panels.

Bouydog

Forum Member
Very interesting demo, just building a rack for my panels to hopefully install next weekend weather permitting. Fortunately they will be the highest thing on the roof.

Deleted member 4404

I knew shade made a difference, but didn't realise just how much (y)

RAW

Forum Member
Thought I would run a quick test myself in Cloudy Calderdale
The Panel I have is 285W and decent quality.
Solar_panel.JPG
As it is quite overcast and cloud cover is low then the output by the Panel was only averaging about 10W at around 1530 today
I put a piece of cardboard over a part of the panel and did a quick video

Interesting indeed, thanks Phil :)

Robert

ctaniab

Shit. Wish I'd seen this two weeks ago before I installed my 3 panels. My two skylights are both proud of them. I'm screwed....

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
Shit. Wish I'd seen this two weeks ago before I installed my 3 panels. My two skylights are both proud of them. I'm screwed....
Before you get too depressed use a stick to guess the angle of the sun before it casts a shadow on your panels. I expect it would be so low that the panels would not work well anyways. In an ideal world the sun should strike the panels at right angles for best performance.

RAW

Forum Member
As an update i was looking at solar panels for flexible options and found these which are less affected by shadows than some others.
Would be interested to know if anyone uses them

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
As an update i was looking at solar panels for flexible options and found these which are less affected by shadows than some others.
Would be interested to know if anyone uses them
I have a pair of the same technology and intend to buy another pair soon. Not tried in anger yet as they are for my Plaxton conversion.
The price from bimble seems very good. Just remember they take up a lot more room. (Watts per square metre)

Reactions: RAW

RAW

Forum Member
have a pair of the same technology and intend to buy another pair soon
Where are yours from please ? Link if possible

I was thinking if I could fit TWO of the 95W flexi ones on Sylvia then I would have a total potential 475W of Solar Yield, which should be good for some off grid time I think.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)