Cupboard catches push button.

NickB

Can anyone recommend a good quality push button catch and supplier please.
I'm looking for 7x to suit 21mm thick doors.
I've looked through eBay and several caravan websites.
I can't judge their quality.
Hence looking for advice.

Squiffy

Forum Member
Hi Nick,
I got mine from Magnums motorhome supplies, they have worked well for 4 years the only problem has been that as mine where gold coloured the gold colouring has worn off the most used ones and left a bald neutral colour in the centre of the button how brushed aluminium ones would fair I don't know. Phil

NickB

Thanks Phil... sent a reply earlier. .. don't know where that went?.. the jist was tried Blaenavon breakers yesterday no luck they simply burn the doors... and the new ones were plastic and only up to 15mm. Reimo has metal but but again not long enough..
My old van had metal ones so there must be some out there.
Nick

NickB

Yes there are loads on Ebay... BUT if you look carefully there are only about 6-7 different pc plastic variants there. My question is does anyone know of a brand/supplier (which are) "good" quality catchs suitable for 21mm thick doors.. preferred with metal buttons. Feels like I'm searching for hens teeth I'm afraid.

wildebus

Forum Member
I am pretty sure I got mine from Magnum as well. They were definately metal, not plastic.
Didn't have the van long enough to see if went the same way as Squiffys, but they felt good and solid - but were rather expensive I thought (around £6 each?)

NickB

That's cool, was it the button itself which was metal? If so perhaps a base metal colour might be more practical long term.

wildebus

Forum Member
That's cool, was it the button itself which was metal? If so perhaps a base metal colour might be more practical long term.
I think so. I tend to buy everything on line as in a remote area so I will check through my emails to see if I can find the details.

Here is a photo that has one of the catches in quite a close up ....
image_20 by David, on Flickr

wildebus

Forum Member
I checked and the ones I bought were from MegaVanMats - see the link here - https://www.megavanmats.com/search-results-page/push%20button
Mine were the Nickel versions. Bought them early 2016 and only had the van for around a year after finished the conversion so can't vouch for long term wear. However, MegaVanMats generally sell top quality gear so I don't see why these would be any different :)

NickB

Thanks both I'll call them both on Monday. I bought my stretch carpet from Mega van mats.
My doors are 21mm thick which is a limiting factor.

time4t

Have you tried chandlers, some do the hollowish circular catches that have a small lever in them, far more reliable than the button ones!
They are solid brass.

Phill

NickB

What a great idea Phil.
Going with the nautical theme appeals to me. .. I've got the Calorifier and the xc duo and the decking ceiling fitted.
Nick.

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
Finally made a decision. ... I've ordered "nautical" stainless steel slam latches the ones with a lifting ring to pull to open..
Can you post some pics of the items when you get them and some comments on fitting them would be nice too.

Thanks in advance

Mark

NickB

Decided on these marine slam latch ones.... the ebay advert was incorrect .. BUT I liked the look and the quality and to fit I had to grind a bit off the hook part of the catch and split the rear of the retainer into two parts.
20190808_113438.jpg

NickB

Thank you they were described as suitable for door thicknesses up to 38mm (they obviously confused that with the hole diameter of 38mm) my doors are 21mm thick and the unaltered hook only reaches18-19mm) so I needed to grind 2-3mm of the hook face. Split the back retainer into two, and use longer fixing screws to accommodate my thicker doors (x7 )
20190808_122136.jpg

Deleted member 4404

Nowt's straight forward is it, but it's made a neat job of it. :)

wildebus

Forum Member
Decided on these marine slam latch ones.... the ebay advert was incorrect .. BUT I liked the look and the quality and to fit I had to grind a bit off the hook part of the catch and split the rear of the retainer into two parts.View attachment 1464
A bit different from the ones normally seen and look very smart indeed :) great choice :D

Squiffy

Forum Member
Nick came round to visit me last week, very impressed with his van, diesel cooker/space heater, sink, calorifier, fridge and electrical installation, the cupboard catches are solid metal and not paint coated plastic if my cupboards were not curved I would replace mine with the type Nick has used, good effort Nick almost ready to reap your reward. 👍Phil

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)