Cooking on gas

Bouydog

Forum Member
Hob/sink and oven dry fitted today, cutting out the worktop to suit the shape of the hob/sink combo was a bit of a daunting prospect so I spent about three hours this morning making templates then went for it. Very pleased with the result, plumbing next weekend.
A838550D-3FFD-4531-8D4C-D34CBB467214.jpeg
5BA9DC54-0A17-4A4A-A2AC-7ABA91CB59B3.jpeg
AE561559-E7FA-4178-B374-143A4967AF61.jpeg

Bouydog

Forum Member
That looked like it was fun to do :eek:
Looks super. Worth the effort (y)
Yes a bit of an ordeal steady jigsaw hand required, but as you say worth the effort.
Thanks.
Inspired by your experimentation I am picking up a full size built under A++ fridge with no ice box on Tuesday, looking forward to fitting that.

Millie Master

Forum Member
Nice work, however those units look like they are domestic type MDF units?

I only raise this point as I have always been advised by time honoured DIY converters to avoid using domestic quality MDF units like the plague for 2 distinct reasons, they being: -
1. They are as heavy as hell.
2. They wick moisture up like a proverbial sponge.

Sorry to raise this, but I feel that this group is all about giving sound advice to like minded converters.

Phil

Bouydog

Forum Member
Nice work, however those units look like they are domestic type MDF units?

I only raise this point as I have always been advised by time honoured DIY converters to avoid using domestic quality MDF units like the plague for 2 distinct reasons, they being: -
1. They are as heavy as hell.
2. They wick moisture up like a proverbial sponge.

Sorry to raise this, but I feel that this group is all about giving sound advice to like minded converters.

Phil[/QUOTE

Hi Phil

No need to apologise for having an opinion.

As I mentioned earlier they are ikea metod units and indeed they are heavy and with my reinforcements very sturdy, that oven is also very heavy and needs a secure housing for safe travelling.

Having 7.5 tonne gross to play with I have a bit more leeway than a standard van build.

If the units were uncoated I would agree with you but they are sealed as are the areas that I have cut or altered including the worktop to prevent water ingress.

My thinking is that they are designed for this purpose I see no difference in this application to use in a domestic kitchen, same environmental hazards.

And they look nice.

Cheers
Dave

wildebus

Forum Member
I have used the IKEA Metod kitchen units in 3 van builds. They make the build significantly cheaper to complete compared to using lightweight materials such as "Vohringer ply ", which is actually not massively lighter in fact. Plus these units are very sturdy when built with a vehicle installation in mind.
In my current van I have a spare payload of around 750Kg when fully loaded for camping and that includes 630Ah of Lead Batteries as well,

n brown

Forum Member
yes , fair bit of unnecessary weight there, including the floor and walls. 6mm ply is plenty strong enough really, though i can see how someone might consider chipboard units
have you tried reverse-cut jigsaw blades , they make following a line a doddle .

Last edited:

Bouydog

Forum Member
Its all about personal choices really for me, I could have used lighter materials but chose not to. We are happy with the way it is shaping up, and if when complete it is comfortable practical and easy on the eye all the better.
No I haven’t tried those blades but I will, anything that helps with jigsawing can only be a good thing. Cut two more holes in the body today for the water heater intake and exhaust and the water tank fill point, slow and steady and plenty of blowing seems to work for me.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)