Connecting heater to diesel tank?

NickB

I'm looking for advice on how to fit a diesel stand pipe take off to my ducato.
I've got the fitting kit and I've removed the floor cover between the front seats and can see the top of the fuel tank sender unit (picture to follow ).
The instructions say remove the sender and drill hole in top, assemble stand pipe Etc.
My question is what do I have to disconnect and how do I get the sender unit out to drill it.

Edina

Administrator
This any help, it shows sender unit being removed and fitted to new tank

NickB

Thanks that helps around 50 secs it shows the hoses being disconnected. . ... I can't see how mine are attached... I've watched an American video which shows several different types of clips.
Also I'm trying to find out if I can raise the unit up/out and into the van through the hole between the front seats. I need to do this to be able to drill (and catch the plastic swarf) to fit the stand pipe.

Steven

I removed the cover to expose the top of the tank,then used a new hole saw and cut a hole in the top of the tank. Then I used an Eberspacher stand pipe,which I shortened so it only reaches about 3/4 down the tank.Then fit the stand pipe and connect up the fuel line. It’s much easier and keeps the heater supply separate from the engine supply. I’ll take a pic later

Stephen.

wildebus

I know nothing about ducatos, but here are a couple of tips when you do this process on a VW that might be transferable and help?

Temporarily replace the mounting bolts with long threaded rod. This allows you to lower the tank in a controlled way to gain access to the top and then raise again.
Use a Jack and wide support (sheet of thick ply) to support the tank and raise/lower the tank.

NickB

I removed the cover to expose the top of the tank,then used a new hole saw and cut a hole in the top of the tank. Then I used an Eberspacher stand pipe,which I shortened so it only reaches about 3/4 down the tank.Then fit the stand pipe and connect up the fuel line. It’s much easier and keeps the heater supply separate from the engine supply. I’ll take a pic later

Stephen.
Thanks Stephen, sounds like a good idea, I can't see the top of my tank, the fixing kit (stand pipe) came with the Wallas xc duo cut for the ducato sender with assembly instructions but not how to get the top cover off to drii and fix it.
Which van did you fix yours to?
Nick

NickB

I know nothing about ducatos, but here are a couple of tips when you do this process on a VW that might be transferable and help?

Temporarily replace the mounting bolts with long threaded rod. This allows you to lower the tank in a controlled way to gain access to the top and then raise again.
Use a Jack and wide support (sheet of thick ply) to support the tank and raise/lower the tank.
Thanks Wildbus, I just replied to Stephens post.
This is way I want to avoid if possible. I'm still fit enough to crawl under and do it, and I've certainly got all the kit to do it but I'm not sure I've got the nerve. For the moment before taking this route I'm going tö try the sender removal route. (At the moment ;-))

NickB

BTW... Stephen/Wildbus how did you get your hands inside your tanks to fix the back nut without removing the sender?

wildebus

BTW... Stephen/Wildbus how did you get your hands inside your tanks to fix the back nut without removing the sender?
I have not actually fitted a standpipe so cannot answer that myself (I've been fortunate that I have be able to tap into a fuel feed outside the tank on heaters I've fitted as those vehicles have had engine pre-heaters that have the identical fuel-feed requirement).
The "tips" I posted I have I know have been used successfully by others and kept in mind in readiness for the occasion I need to do this. Another tip which is likely goes without saying is do this process with as little fuel as possible left in the tank!
If you can get to the tank top to fit the pipe then that would save a lot of hassles!

I believe some kits also use self-threading plastic screws so they don't need internal access, just the hole drilled.

GEOFF

On one of my older conversions (2001 2.8 ducato) the tank sender was visible from the cab floor. I simply removed the tank sender pressing (about 6 screws) and drilled a new hole in the pressing for the stand pipe. Geoff.

NickB

That's it Geoff, that's exactly where I'm at... and what I've got the fittings for... everyone says it's easy... like you say 'simply remove the sender'... that's where I'm stuck ..I need to know how to release the pipes I can see.... do I raise only enough to fit in a rag to carch the plastic swarf..
I'm sure I can do it but I'm looking for practical advice on this simple stage.... perhaps I'm being over careful?
Nick

That's it Geoff, that's exactly where I'm at... and what I've got the fittings for... everyone says it's easy... like you say 'simply remove the sender'... that's where I'm stuck ..I need to know how to release the pipes I can see.... do I raise only enough to fit in a rag to carch the plastic swarf..
I'm sure I can do it but I'm looking for practical advice on this simple stage.... perhaps I'm being over careful?
Nick
With a bit of fiddle and a cloth to catch any swarf (as well as plenty of sticky grease on the drill bit)

It may be possible to do it without dismantling everything....
On our 2004 Ducato it looks like there is an access panel to the top of the tank/pump etc....
You won't need much room to get your hand in...

On my NV, I went *though* the sender unit, rather than through the tank. Was OK, if daunting.
When we do next van I will use a separate tank for simplicity! (Also to run on kerrosine when possible, and diesel only if we run out)