Cleaning inside MPK rooflights.... how do you do it ?

Millie Master

Forum Member
I have 3 MPK rooflights fitted to 'Millie' which overall I am pleased with as they do what they are supposed to do............ however.........., after four years used their insides are somewhat dirty and I would like to clean them.

And there in lies a problem as there doesn't appear to be any quick and easy way of doing so, as this is the case does anyone know how to clean them?

many thanks

Phil

Squiffy

Forum Member
What do you mean by their insides Phil, I now work on the principle that if I can't easily see the dirt from inside the van and can't see it from standing outside the van, I forget about it 😉. It used to bother me greatly if I went up on the roof or poked my head up through the skylight but I've conditioned myself to being road grime blind now 😆Phil

Millie Master

Forum Member
What do you mean by their insides Phil

As you possibly know Phil the MPK has two pieces of polycarbonate that goes to make up the ??? bubble thing that lets in the light as well as allowing partial ventilation when the panel is in the closed/down position.

Unlike more expensive rooflights that you can see through, on the MPK's the material is slightly frosted, as such you can't actually see through it, but never the less, when they were new you could see the colour of the sky for example, but now there is so much dust on the internal surfaces they look so very grubby.
I can see that the two sections are held together with 4 screws, but I hate undoing screws that go into plastic material for fear of stripping the threads and it is for this reason that I am raising this question as I wonder if there is another way of actually cleaning the insides without actually removing them from the roof to do so.

Phil

Garywrench

If they are the ones I used to have they are held in place with four torx screws , be gentle but you can take them off and apart and wash both halves in soapy water, rinse and refit but don’t overtighten when refitting.

Millie Master

Forum Member
If they are the ones I used to have they are held in place with four torx screws , be gentle but you can take them off and apart and wash both halves in soapy water, rinse and refit but don’t overtighten when refitting.

Thanks for that Gary, just as I had suspected, yes I know the screws....... it is the tightening of them that causes me so much concern!!

Phil

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)