Charging batteries ?

Vicdicdoc

My van setup has engine battery and twin leisure batteries in the back all connected & charged by the alternator when engine is running and by the solar panel when parked up . . . But there Doesn't seem to be method of recharging the batteries via 240v when on hook up,this is the Sterling B 2 B unit - should I open it up and add wires from the 240v hook up into the Sterling unit or carry a separate small 240v to 12v battery charger ?

Attachments

• IMG-0430_1.JPG
    IMG-0430_1.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 298

groyne

I don't think the Sterling is designed for 240v use, as you say, it's battery to battery, so connecting it to the mains doesn't seem like a good idea. My 240v system is very basic, just a fusebox and 2 sockets, one for the Truma Combi, and one to plug in a CTEX MSX25 battery charger for the batteries if I ever need to use hookup.

WP_20170910_007.jpg

trevskoda

Forum Member
Lidl are doing a 5 stage charger for sort of £15,two will work back to back charging all batterys ie,van start and service batterys.

mistericeman

Forum Member
If i
Lidl are doing a 5 stage charger for sort of £15,two will work back to back charging all batterys ie,van start and service batterys.
IF its like the last one I bought.... Its not auto start (ie you have to push a button after powering it up)

Might be worth checking IF that's important to you.

trevskoda

Forum Member
If i

IF its like the last one I bought.... Its not auto start (ie you have to push a button after powering it up)

Might be worth checking IF that's important to you.
If you dont mind spending then numax chargers on the bay at £50 use a 5ah for engine and a 10 or 20ah for service batts.

Vicdicdoc

I just been to my local Lidl, they have 6/12v battery chargers ~ £20

wildebus

Forum Member
I just been to my local Lidl, they have 6/12v battery chargers ~ £20
I will have a look :)

I started finding cheaper ones but their functionality is quite limited, so started looking at the better ones again I can also use on a standard 12V Car Battery to recharge, not just trickle-charge.

khorne

If you get a battery charger then connect this to the car battery. When the car battery is charged, and the 240 charger is running, then the B2B charger will kick in and will charge the house battery.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)