Change to Motor Caravan

fifthwheel

When I got my LT it was a minibus - that kind of looks like a van with windows plus a few seats ;) . I applied to change it to a "Van/Windows, with 7 seats" and they asked for photographs showing the changes I had made. Told them I didn't really make any changes and not sure what I could photograph as that is what it really was! so took a photo of the inside with some seats taken out (which were designed to be removed anyway). That change took a couple of months to get through and various calls.

Changing from a "Van/Windows" to a "Motor Caravan" with a vehicle that looks like a Safari Bus on the other hand took around 5 working days to get the changed V5C back :)
Why was the van/windows change necessary, why not minibus to motor caravan? What have I missed

Millie Master

Forum Member
I believe the DVLA came up with their requirements following consultation with the NCC (National Caravan Council), which is a body of caravan/motorhome manufacturers, retailers and representatives from the Caravan Club (now Caravan & Motorhome Cub) and the Camping and Caravan Club.

As for the length of a 6' bed and indeed the fitting of a fixed table, yes they are down in the requirements, however I have been led to believe that the DVLA are more interested in whether or not the conversion being submitted to them for reclassification, actually looks like a Motorhome/Campervan as Darren so rightly points out.

As for me, my 'Millie' doesn't have a fixed table in the living accommodation as their requirements don't finitely say it has to be fitted actually inside the living area, my table is actually fitted into a securely retained fixture inside the doors of the storage shed at the back of the van!
We rarely use the table as we prefer to eat off trays on our knees, but when we do use a table, it is normally laden!

Attachments

• 028.JPG
    028.JPG
    648.9 KB · Views: 328

trevskoda

Forum Member
I believe the DVLA came up with their requirements following consultation with the NCC (National Caravan Council), which is a body of caravan/motorhome manufacturers, retailers and representatives from the Caravan Club (now Caravan & Motorhome Cub) and the Camping and Caravan Club.

As for the length of a 6' bed and indeed the fitting of a fixed table, yes they are down in the requirements, however I have been led to believe that the DVLA are more interested in whether or not the conversion being submitted to them for reclassification, actually looks like a Motorhome/Campervan as Darren so rightly points out.

As for me, my 'Millie' doesn't have a fixed table in the living accommodation as their requirements don't finitely say it has to be fitted actually inside the living area, my table is actually fitted into a securely retained fixture inside the doors of the storage shed at the back of the van!
We rarely use the table as we prefer to eat off trays on our knees, but when we do use a table, it is normally laden!
Dont see any spuds there so nothing to eat for me.:eek:

wildebus

Forum Member
Thought I would post my approach to the DVLA table requirement.
I also don't really have a requirement for a fixed table for eating on despite the DVLAs insistance that I needed one. And they don't deem a loose standing table (i.e. one with legs) good enough of course.

So I took a Costco Table with folding legs that I already owned and added one of those detachable pole kits and sent the following photo to DVLA as part of the reclassification request.
DVLA Table Photo by David, on Flickr

I then used some rope to wrap around the chrome leg to better match with the general planned Safari theme of the van as well as providing a scratching post in my Camper for the cat, who loves her scratching post AND loves chilling out in the van.
IMG_20180613_152115 by David, on Flickr

And an under table shot to show how the table itself is now dual purpose
IMG_20180613_152132 by David, on Flickr
The original legs are still fitted and functional, and the post mount is secured in place by both Sikaflex Adhesive and Bobby Ball (short and fat) Screws, plus the legs when closed go over around 30% of the mount surround which also keeps things nice and tight.

I found that I did actually use the table a fair bit (much more than I expected). Not as a dining table however, but as a desk to work on my laptop and suchlike - sometimes using the legs and sometimes using the pole - so when I fitted the final cupboard, I located it slightly offset away from the wall to allow storage of the removable table at the side (with a bathmat to keep in snugly in position).

Mystery Cupboard?
by David, on Flickr

trevskoda

Forum Member
My table clips onto wall bracket and the leg underneath folds down and clips to a we plastic joby on the floor,when not in use the table clips onto loo wall.

Attachments

• leg table.jpg
    leg table.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 326
  • clearcut table kit.png
    clearcut table kit.png
    63.6 KB · Views: 320
  • table tops.png
    table tops.png
    59.7 KB · Views: 313
  • table in situ.png
    table in situ.png
    54.8 KB · Views: 308
  • table hold kit.png
    table hold kit.png
    60.1 KB · Views: 310

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)