Ceiling going up

Bouydog

Forum Member
Busy weekend so far should finish tomorrow.
20190505_145056.jpg
20190505_144947.jpg
20190505_113437.jpg

wildebus

Forum Member
Looks good. I am wanting to redo my ceiling but undecided what kind of setup to go for.
Be interesting to see the transition between the cab and the living area - that always seems to the the tricky part (looks like on your Mercedes that is going to be much more straightforward though :D )

Squiffy

Forum Member
Looks good,
One thing I would suggest is weight, be very careful over weight. One of the things that tends to be forgotten in self build vans is weight, in the past weight in a motorhome was not really worried about but the continental police, especially the French have been recently stopping and verifying the weight of motor homes and here VOSA are doing the same, in the past motorhomes have been ignored but not now. Phil

trevskoda

Forum Member
Think i would have went with light ply riveted up and covered with carpet.

Attachments

• lts b.jpg
    lts b.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 391
  • bed 6.jpg
    bed 6.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 365

Bouydog

Forum Member
Looks good. I am wanting to redo my ceiling but undecided what kind of setup to go for.
Be interesting to see the transition between the cab and the living area - that always seems to the the tricky part (looks like on your Mercedes that is going to be much more straightforward though :D )
Thanks, thinking of doing it chevron style over the cab just to break it up a bit.

Bouydog

Forum Member
Looks good,
One thing I would suggest is weight, be very careful over weight. One of the things that tends to be forgotten in self build vans is weight, in the past weight in a motorhome was not really worried about but the continental police, especially the French have been recently stopping and verifying the weight of motor homes and here VOSA are doing the same, in the past motorhomes have been ignored but not now. Phil
I am keeping an eye on weight, and will weigh it at various stages of the build but being 7.5 tonne I have some leeway.

Bouydog

Forum Member
Looks good,
I am keeping an eye on weight, and will weigh it at various stages of the build but being 7.5 tonne I have some leeway
Think i would have went with light ply riveted up and covered with carpet.
Horses for courses Trev I prefer a hard finish.

wildebus

Forum Member
I am keeping an eye on weight, and will weigh it at various stages of the build but being 7.5 tonne I have some leeway

Horses for courses Trev I prefer a hard finish.
The "standard" approach in the VW World is carpet and it looks pretty nice. I did that on my first conversion.
My current LT, being a Minibus, came with a whole series of ceiling panels which I carpeted to tidy up - but I think I am going to change to some kind of beading type hard finish like your.
But probably more sectioned rather then long strips and maybe painted rather then natural, but still not sure (going to check out a whole bunch of self-builds at Camp Quirky this coming weekend :) )

n brown

Forum Member
my last van had a painted matchboard ceiling, latest one is oiled. ends of the boards tuck behind the headliner. usually have a second cab ceiling just above sun visors to form a bedding cupboard

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)