Budget ideas

Greggbear67

Forum Member
Glad you like it thanks. Not every ones taste as I say but I've been waiting 25 yrs to build something like this. Wife/kids/bills always got in the way so finally I did it. If you want it bad enough you'll find a way👍😉

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
I purchased "Murky" a 7.5 Tonne Mercedes based LHE Conversion Ambulance that in it's last service years was converted to a school bus. This was after my Mercedes 608 panel van conversion succumbed to too much rust. This was converted when I purchased it, but had a reworking to sleep 5 children and 2 adults. When Murky arrived it was 10 years older than expected! It had just been MOT'd and was needed to be functional a week later. Screwfix provided a sink and shower tray. I had a converted domestic oven and a 240 volt fridge. Water heating was a carver 12 volt/Gas jobby. Bed was an inflatable. Two wilko shower curtains made up the open plan shower room. A Thetford toilet was also in the same space. You just had to make sure the shower curtain tucked into the tray. The drain in the tray went through a hole in the floor and stopped the tray from moving. 12 volts was supplied by 2, 6 volt ex-bank UPS batteries. I was given about a dozen and told some might work. The two I found working proved to be the best I've ever had. A 200 watt inverter ran the fridge for a week without recharge. Shame it exploded after a years as I've never got one to work as well again. The fridge was a cheap Husky unit. Noisy, smelly generator was for reserve and battery charging. A couple of sheets of 9mm ply and some planed batten made the sink unit and countertop. By luck wilko roller blinds were the perfect width for the windows. The 608 had a stainless water tank I made holding around 200 litres that fitted under the sink. I didn't like this location and mounted it under the floor. Yes I didn't do much else that week, but it was liveable. Then over the next 10 years it evolved into the very functional and self sufficient vehicle it is now. I doubt if I spent £500 in that first week. I've spent considerably more since improving creature comforts and technological advances.
Our new project "Betty" is another story. As it's not needed it's being done all in one go. So far I've spent around £3000 solving problems and doing repairs to the base vehicle in the hope of it needing limited maintenance once converted. It's been going on for a few months now and it's hard to keep the enthusiasm going. "Betty" is a 7.5 tonne plaxton cheetah coach.

MarkJ

Forum Member
I purchased "Murky" a 7.5 Tonne Mercedes based LHE Conversion Ambulance that in it's last service years was converted to a school bus. This was after my Mercedes 608 panel van conversion succumbed to too much rust. This was converted when I purchased it, but had a reworking to sleep 5 children and 2 adults. When Murky arrived it was 10 years older than expected! It had just been MOT'd and was needed to be functional a week later. Screwfix provided a sink and shower tray. I had a converted domestic oven and a 240 volt fridge. Water heating was a carver 12 volt/Gas jobby. Bed was an inflatable. Two wilko shower curtains made up the open plan shower room. A Thetford toilet was also in the same space. You just had to make sure the shower curtain tucked into the tray. The drain in the tray went through a hole in the floor and stopped the tray from moving. 12 volts was supplied by 2, 6 volt ex-bank UPS batteries. I was given about a dozen and told some might work. The two I found working proved to be the best I've ever had. A 200 watt inverter ran the fridge for a week without recharge. Shame it exploded after a years as I've never got one to work as well again. The fridge was a cheap Husky unit. Noisy, smelly generator was for reserve and battery charging. A couple of sheets of 9mm ply and some planed batten made the sink unit and countertop. By luck wilko roller blinds were the perfect width for the windows. The 608 had a stainless water tank I made holding around 200 litres that fitted under the sink. I didn't like this location and mounted it under the floor. Yes I didn't do much else that week, but it was liveable. Then over the next 10 years it evolved into the very functional and self sufficient vehicle it is now. I doubt if I spent £500 in that first week. I've spent considerably more since improving creature comforts and technological advances.
Our new project "Betty" is another story. As it's not needed it's being done all in one go. So far I've spent around £3000 solving problems and doing repairs to the base vehicle in the hope of it needing limited maintenance once converted. It's been going on for a few months now and it's hard to keep the enthusiasm going. "Betty" is a 7.5 tonne plaxton cheetah coach.
Just googled ‘plaxton cheetah coach ‘. Blimey!

GEOFF

My van (ex minibus) cost 46k 3.5 years ago and cost about the same to convert, plus the cost of a respray (not really nec., but I wanted it two tone. I am going to try to post a dozen pics of the finished? (is it ever) van in the show us your van section. Geoff.

MarkJ

Forum Member
My van (ex minibus) cost 46k 3.5 years ago and cost about the same to convert, plus the cost of a respray (not really nec., but I wanted it two tone. I am going to try to post a dozen pics of the finished? (is it ever) van in the show us your van section. Geoff.
I've just had a look at the pics and it looks great! Brilliant job.

Can I ask - what are the interior wall coverings and trim? They look really smart.

REC

Forum Member
We bought a pre-reg van MWB Relay Enterprise for £17000 with 100 miles on clock and paid just under £12000 to have it converted. This was window , 2 rooflights, one with extractor, solar panels , eberspacher, extra leisure battery, fridge, hob, sink and fixed transverse bed with lift out centre panels, double seat with belts , table and all cupboards. All double insulated, lined, and decent flooring. So if he could do it including labour, I reckon £5000 if you did it yourself? Depends on van size and personal wants/ needs. Our converter was very good at sourcing best price too!

MarkJ

Forum Member
We bought a pre-reg van MWB Relay Enterprise for £17000 with 100 miles on clock and paid just under £12000 to have it converted. This was window , 2 rooflights, one with extractor, solar panels , eberspacher, extra leisure battery, fridge, hob, sink and fixed transverse bed with lift out centre panels, double seat with belts , table and all cupboards. All double insulated, lined, and decent flooring. So if he could do it including labour, I reckon £5000 if you did it yourself? Depends on van size and personal wants/ needs. Our converter was very good at sourcing best price too!
Thanks for that info, sounds good value.

Reactions: REC

Lord Lucan

My conversion budget is £1000.
To include:
Fold up double bed.
Kitchen.
Shower.
PortaPotty.
TowBar.
240 electrics.
Reverse camera.
Leisure battery.
Solar panel.
Sun canopy.

I'm posting photos as it progresses.

wildebus

Forum Member
My conversion budget is £1000.
To include:
Fold up double bed.
Kitchen.
Shower.
PortaPotty.
TowBar.
240 electrics.
Reverse camera.
Leisure battery.
Solar panel.
Sun canopy.

I'm posting photos as it progresses.
Tight Budget for that list, but doable if you can find bargains (and now is end of season so lots of deals in things like awnings and the like:) )

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)