Battery Isolator

RAW

Forum Member
I posted this in the Talbot Express Facebook Group
There is this isolator switch which I believe someone has Correctly Identified as a Lucas Battery Isolator Switch
Is this something that is fitted to van's still ? I would think it was used to perhaps isolate the Leisure Battery but now it does not seem to work
Any ideas ?
20190413_185204 (1).jpg

Deleted member 4404

I use these for isolating the leisure batteries LINK

But this looks similar to yours LINK

Last edited by a moderator:

wildebus

Forum Member
If something is going wrong you may want to remove the power from a device very quickly, or if you want to work on some electrics it is a quick way to remove power.
if you put it into the context of a house, the fuses in the individual circuits are like the MCBs in the consumer unit, and the Isolator Switch is like the master incoming switch in that consumer switch. It is for both convenience and speed.
Belts and Braces ... I like to have a master "catastrophic fuse" as well in case of some ... well.... catastrophy. (bit like the big fuse by the meter on your house mains supply to keep that correlation)

RAW

Forum Member
If something is going wrong you may want to remove the power from a device very quickly, or if you want to work on some electrics it is a quick way to remove power.
if you put it into the context of a house, the fuses in the individual circuits are like the MCBs in the consumer unit, and the Isolator Switch is like the master incoming switch in that consumer switch. It is for both convenience and speed.
Belts and Braces ... I like to have a master "catastrophic fuse" as well in case of some ... well.... catastrophy. (bit like the big fuse by the meter on your house mains supply to keep that correlation)
Yes that all sounds eminently sensible, thank-you. I wonder why though the switch in the Van I have looks to be diswconnected. As an aside I could not find any LED lighting in your store ?
Thanks, Robert

wildebus

Forum Member
I haven't got the lights in the store in fact. Some stuff like lights and split-charge systems I tend to sell when at shows rather than on-line, so they are available 'on request' as it were.
I should add them in really I guess :)

I don't know about the switch on your van, but it seems to me a funny place to have a disconnect switch on the steering column. It is not the kind of switch you would need to access on a regular basis, and you would need to run a heavy (i.e. Battery) cable up to the switch and down again. A lot of extra - and expensive - cabling.
I suppose I am missing something about the reasoning behind it, but it seems an inefficient and awkward location.

Reactions: RAW

RAW

Forum Member
I don't know about the switch on your van, but it seems to me a funny place to have a disconnect switch on the steering column. It is not the kind of switch you would need to access on a regular basis, and you would need to run a heavy (i.e. Battery) cable up to the switch and down again. A lot of extra - and expensive - cabling.
I suppose I am missing something about the reasoning behind it, but it seems an inefficient and awkward location.

That's also what I thought, seems a funny place to have it. At some point, probably when I am doing the Indicator repair, I will try and trace cables and see what they are / where they go. I also agree with the point on the Cable you made. Reasoning behind it - You and me both have no idea!
I do have an address and name for the owner who had it prior to the Lady who sold it on to me. The Lady who sold it to me had done hardly anything in the van in terms of taking her out and about, whereas she said the previous owner had toured the British Isles and possibly also Europe at some point as there is a GB sticker on the back.

Anyway thanks for your help @wildebus and will post more when I know more

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)