Autosleeper self build

mariesnowgoose

This is something I have thought about now and again since first getting our ancient Autosleeper Legend some 7 or so years ago. Outside of my obsession with old Merc trucks it is the only other thing that keeps coming back to pester my addled brain! :)

She is now 30 years old. The layout, I think, is hard to beat for a coach built this size. The fixtures & fittings may be a little old style, but I care not as never been a follower of fashion, so...

... with a few tweaks inside & out she could definitely make a good full time camper for one, and a good camper for two for extended trips/holidays.So my question:

Is it at all possible to remove the monocoque shell from the existing smiley face Ford Transit and refit it onto a more modern van base?

If it IS actually feasible, is there any chance it could be done for a budget of up to £10k?

harrow

Forum Member
This is something I have thought about now and again since first getting our ancient Autosleeper Legend some 7 or so years ago. Outside of my obsession with old Merc trucks it is the only other thing that keeps coming back to pester my addled brain! :)

She is now 30 years old. The layout, I think, is hard to beat for a coach built this size. The fixtures & fittings may be a little old style, but I care not as never been a follower of fashion, so...

... with a few tweaks inside & out she could definitely make a good full time camper for one, and a good camper for two for extended trips/holidays.So my question:

Is it at all possible to remove the monocoque shell from the existing smiley face Ford Transit and refit it onto a more modern van base?

If it IS actually feasible, is there any chance it could be done for a budget of up to £10k?

Or do you mean put your Autosleeper body on a modern truck, if so yes it's been done

mariesnowgoose

Or do you mean put your Autosleeper body on a modern truck, if so yes it's been done

Thanks harrow. I do know I need to do a bit of Google/YouTube research and see what I can dig up on this subject.

But I'm still at the Winking Man Meet & using my phone to access internet which is a) a pain in the butt and b) too time consuming to go off browsing for info.

Being impatient, I just thought there may be some members in here who might have some relevant advice in addition to me hunting about for info about this specific job. Any useful feedback I can look into properly when I get back home later. :)

Looser cruiser

That transit you’re van has as a base was the best transit ever built new ones crap too much electronics and more too go wrong. I agree with some of you’re thinking but don’t think you’ll gain that much for all the bother and cost you might just be buying problems because the chassis you buy will have been from a works truck guaranteed where as you’re present chassis has always been on motorhome ?

mariesnowgoose

That transit you’re van has as a base was the best transit ever built new ones crap too much electronics and more too go wrong. I agree with some of you’re thinking but don’t think you’ll gain that much for all the bother and cost you might just be buying problems because the chassis you buy will have been from a works truck guaranteed where as you’re present chassis has always been on motorhome ?

See wha you're saying BUT the chassis on ours was in a right state, the only reason it still gets through its mot is because of the fantastic welding Old Arthur did for us about 6 years ago, but after 30 years will that last forever?!

Debs

Forum Member
Marie, I think the the job you are thinking of is do-able, but you would benefit from being under cover and it will be a ***** of job to do.

Adria home

Auto sleeper built a 50th edition executive only a few years ago same monocoque from the past very expensive but you will get ideas from this

DaveH55

Do-able but a lot of work. A close inspection of the Hab floor would be a good idea. I would think it probably best to put it on a later transit, rather than a merc, mainly to reduce problems in mating the body to the cab. Or a least double check dimensions of the cabs.

hextal

Could you just get a panel van and use your current motorhome as a donor vehicle?

wildebus

Forum Member
A fairly popular self-build method is to take a donor caravan and transplant the innards into a panel van.
That could be the best option with your autosleeper interior but given the extra width of a motorhome body (if that is what you have?), the boxer/relay/ducato base might be preferable as they are noticeably wider than the Transit or Sprinter.

QFour

Have a look how they build them. We went round the Pilote Factory. They start with the base vehicle and cut off all the bits they don't want. They then add all the bits they do want like water tanks, floor mounts, electrics, water pipes and then the floor. Once thats done and sorted they then push it down the line and add all the interior fittings especially the ones that you need extending arm to get at. The bit over the cab gets fitted and then the sides and back go on. Everything is then checked to make sure its all fitted properly. Then they put the roof on and fit all the external trim.

I would have thought that as soon as you try and lift the back body off the chassis it will just fold up as it is not designed to be a self supporting structure. All the joints will be under tremendous pressure and will probably leak afterwards.

Nabsim

Forum Member
I think what Marie is wanting answers is moving the complete fibreglass (habitation area) on to another chassis cab. The model she has is a complete fibreglass monocoque shell so leaks through the body are not going to happen.

1. If the existing chassis is suspect what options does she have
2. If keeping the existing chassis cab she wants to get more power from it (hills etc)

yorkslass

I think what Marie is wanting answers is moving the complete fibreglass (habitation area) on to another chassis cab. The model she has is a complete fibreglass monocoque shell so leaks through the body are not going to happen.

1. If the existing chassis is suspect what options does she have
2. If keeping the existing chassis cab she wants to get more power from it (hills etc)

I think the power aspect is ok cos she transplanted a different engine into it a couple of years ago.

Nabsim

Forum Member
I think the power aspect is ok cos she transplanted a different engine into it a couple of years ago.

No Sue, well yes she did transplant and engine, changed from the petrol pinto engine to a diesel engine but she was saying she wants more power for hills and such. That was the thinking behind re-chassis I think, get a newer (no rust etc) chassis and more powerful engine so they can expect a good few years reliable motoring. Marie will clarify when she gets back on but this is what she was saying to me.

wildebus

Forum Member
Somebody on the VW Forum had their VW T4 (from the 90s) undersides totally repaired ref rust and then dinitrol'ed to protect it for the foreseeable future. Cost a couple of thousand pounds I think, but if the autosleeper habitation area is good, the Transit is mechanically sound and sorted, £2k or so would be an good price to pay compared to the cost and hassles of the alternatives.

Caz

Many old Romahome C15 habitation pods have been put on to newer C15 panel vans and are now sold on by dealers as if they are the age of the van, rather than the actual age of the pod, which is naughty. There's been lots of discussion about it on the Small Motorhomes forum, including comments from Romahome themselves that, if done properly, and providing it is declared as such, then it isn't a problem.

I've never heard of it being done with an Autosleeper monocoque, but I would have thought it would be just as feasible - although you are dealing with a much bigger and heavier "pod" that would have to be lifted.

I think it would cost an awful lot to pay someone to do it, though, and think it would be a heck of a job to do yourselves.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)