Apart from the sevel vans, are any vans wide enough for a full size bed past the ribs

Deleted member 12559

Any piccys of the van? Really like Varios
Happy to oblige, I don't have many early photos, due to the fact that the 'conversion' was carried out pre the digital age,
when taking a pic involved a fair amount of deliberation. I was more concerned about getting the conversion completed in
the 3 months before the winter and orf to sunny Spain.
Strictly speaking my 30 yoa crate isn't a Vario, almost identical body, but totally different engine and associated
mechanicals so as to comply with Euro Standards. Mine is a bog standard near last of the pre electronic dinosaurs.
The brake pic shows though how old tech isn't always a plus when you DIY, I'd much prefer the later Vario disc
brake setup. Rear drum,s & no ready mades available, so had to rivet new shoes (steel rivets! not soft copper) &
the drum is integral with hub so special tool required for the axle nuts, couldn't source so had to fabricate and weld
up my own.

VAN CONV. AUG. 96 023.jpgVAN CONV. AUG. 96 008.jpgCIMG0458.JPGCIMG0157.JPGCIMG0467.JPG6.jpg7.jpgmbike rack 024 (2).JPG
VAN CONV. AUG. 96 023.jpg
VAN CONV. AUG. 96 008.jpg
VAN CONV. AUG. 96 023.jpg
VAN CONV. AUG. 96 008.jpg

Attachments

• CIMG0885.JPG
    CIMG0885.JPG
    4.2 MB · Views: 200
  • CIMG0090.JPG
    CIMG0090.JPG
    4.7 MB · Views: 202
Last edited by a moderator:

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
You should have dropped in earlier, I currently run a 811D. I've been running this one for a very long time and I had two 608D's before that.
Hardest thing to get is gearboxes, most of the other stuff is easy. Brake shoes no problem either. With commercials, it's common place to reline them. My works offer that service. Just keep that rust under control, that's the killer.
IMG_0177.JPG

Deleted member 12559

'Dropped in', like 30 years ago lol. I could indeed have got someone to reline the brakes. However, I treat
the van as a hobby/challenges, per se to DIY as much as practicably possible. So far it's never needed
the services of anyone other than myself and Mr. MOT tester of course.

I've found some parts are getting more difficult to source nowadays, certainly a lot fewer stockists,
so prices have risen. German factors were a good alternative, but now with B**shIt not so sure.
For instance I cannot get anti squeal shims for the ATE brakes right now, ATE themselves don't
hold them anymore. Last attempt will be trying MB old stock somewhere.

Had no g/box problems using Type A Suffix A oil. 80W 90 can give very obstructive baulked changes when
cold, syncro suffers. Clutch change is easier to carry out than on many a FWD car, I rang a MB official
commercial dealer for a quote a few years back.... £1400. Turned out that the clutch was serviceable,
but I changed it anyway.

Rust for sure, tell that to Mercedes, every commercial they make is designed to corrode, they don't
want you hanging on to their marvels for ever do they? Last thing they consider is the motorhome
world let alone the self converter.

I bought my crock when it was a 3 yoa well cared for commercial van, even so the rust had got
into the double wall sills as is inevitable. I've had to carry out a fair amount of cosmetic welding.
'A' pillars another notorious place for the brown stuff, especially in PVCs where the cab roof hasn't
been insulated. I could go on and on and on, must not grumble too much lol.
Thankfully most people don't come across the kind of stuff Northraider has experienced on
his Vario bus, (MHF Forum). Surprised he hasn't put in an appearance on this forum.

SC just had a look at your thread, that pump you've recently received +60psi, that's some pressure
in motorhoming terms in my experience. I don't of course know if you've accounted for this? Will
definitely find any leaks.

Last edited by a moderator:

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
'Dropped in', like 30 years ago lol. I could indeed have got someone to reline the brakes. However, I treat
the van as a hobby/challenges, per se to DIY as much as practicably possible. So far it's never needed
the services of anyone other than myself and Mr. MOT tester of course.

I've found some parts are getting more difficult to source nowadays, certainly a lot fewer stockists,
so prices have risen. German factors were a good alternative, but now with B**shIt not so sure.
For instance I cannot get anti squeal shims for the ATE brakes right now, ATE themselves don't
hold them anymore. Last attempt will be trying MB old stock somewhere.

Had no g/box problems using Type A Suffix A oil. 80W 90 can give very obstructive baulked changes when
cold, syncro suffers. Clutch change is easier to carry out than on many a FWD car, I rang a MB official
commercial dealer for a quote a few years back.... £1400. Turned out that the clutch was serviceable,
but I changed it anyway.

Rust for sure, tell that to Mercedes, every commercial they make is designed to corrode, they don't
want you hanging on to their marvels for ever do they? Last thing they consider is the motorhome
world let alone the self converter.

I bought my crock when it was a 3 yoa well cared for commercial van, even so the rust had got
into the double wall sills as is inevitable. I've had to carry out a fair amount of cosmetic welding.
'A' pillars another notorious place for the brown stuff, especially in PVCs where the cab roof hasn't
been insulated. I could go on and on and on, must not grumble too much lol.
Thankfully most people don't come across the kind of stuff Northraider has experienced on
his Vario bus, (MHF Forum). Surprised he hasn't put in an appearance on this forum.

SC just had a look at your thread, that pump you've recently received +60psi, that's some pressure
in motorhoming terms in my experience. I don't of course know if you've accounted for this? Will
definitely find any leaks.
The anti squeal shims normally come with the pads, but you don’t often know if you’re getting them.
The gearbox is supposed to have automatic transmission fluid in it. Hypo’s ruin the bronze bulk rings.
I’m rebuilding the front end working from a bare axel at the moment, due to a wheel bearing failure. It seems that Mercedes don’t have preload on their wheel bearings according to the manual! 0.02 to 0.06mm end float. Not easy to set.
Putting new brakes hoses on I managed to shear the steel pipe! The long one. 2395mm. Mercedes delivering one in the morning. I rebuilt the callipers too, as all the rubbers were getting old.
If I’m lucky I’ll have it ready for getting the tracking done Saturday.

Oh btw, thanks for reminding me about the pump. It was supposed to be adjustable. That’s for the Vario build.

Deleted member 12559

I have the workshop manual part for 709d hub removal/reinstallment. 0.02-0.05mm, tapered bearings of course.
End float measured with dial gauge, I made a carrier to attach to one of the half shaft studs. Also includes the torquing adjustment sequence.
I replaced some steel brake line sections with Kunifer, more preventive maintenance than actual necessity, but
I get to fairly remote places, particularly Morocco most years and never have any breakdown recovery
insurance.
I found the eBay Chinese brake piston wind back kit to be useful for getting a recalcitrant caliper piston back
where it should be, better than a couple of wood blocks at least.
My handbook describes the high tech method for adjusting the front wheel toe in/out. The only adjustment
possible on the Type 2s of my van's era. It involves string, a long stick, and some chalk. Works for me!

Yes, I reckoned on that pump being adjustable, looks serious alongside a Shurflow or Whale.
Most M/home and caravan boilers and ancillaries seem to top out at 3 Bar or so max. My rubbish
Malaga Propex 1.5 Bar.

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
Sounds like you have all under control. Funny, I had the conversation about using Kunifer with my owner this morning. I refused to buy it and a decent quality flaring tool as I didn't want to work on vehicles. Now waiting for the other side brake pipe as it seems I fractured it during replacing the hose! There is a lot of work and money going into this thing at the moment considering it's up for sale once the paintwork is finished.

Deleted member 12559

Sounds like you have all under control.....funny.
See I've corrected that sentence for you!
'All under control' not sure about that. I only post about whats gone right, in other words
the short list LoL.
I now get the picture, out with an 811d in with a Vario. Hence your pic of the brake shoe on backplate
looks very familiar to me.

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
See I've corrected that sentence for you!
'All under control' not sure about that. I only post about whats gone right, in other words
the short list LoL.
I now get the picture, out with an 811d in with a Vario. Hence your pic of the brake shoe on backplate
looks very familiar to me.
This is our odd tart.

IMG_0143.JPG

Deleted member 12559

Looks a little dated as compared with your 'A Class' Vario. I suppose that's one advantage
found with my PVC, it still looks much like the last of the Vario PVCs. Only the
front grille and tweaked up front wings/lights differentiate them.
I have a pic of a concept MB Type 2 1995 van, looks like Plaxton plagiarised the design
If I can find I'll post it in the appropriate thread..
Just realised how off track from the OP this thread has gone, I'd better quit.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)