Apart from the sevel vans, are any vans wide enough for a full size bed past the ribs

transitcat

I ask because I've seen a few pvc's built on the ducato which has an advertised rear transverse bed of 194cm (when the advertised van width is 187cm). So was wondering if there are any other vans with a maximum width that will just about squeeze in 6'2 or 6'3 if you go from wall to wall past the ribs. Iveco daily maybe?

Byronic

I ask because I've seen a few pvc's built on the ducato which has an advertised rear transverse bed of 194cm (when the advertised van width is 187cm). So was wondering if there are any other vans with a maximum width that will just about squeeze in 6'2 or 6'3 if you go from wall to wall past the ribs. Iveco daily maybe?

The interior van dimensions given by manufacturers are nearly always the maximum available (they would be wouldn't they!)
That 187cm may be at floor level and less at bed height.
The van convertors figure of 194cm for a transverse bed means the width from sheet steel faces must be 194cm + 2 x insulation
layers + 2 wall linings @ head and foot.

The widest panel van, not available new since 2013, is the MB Type 2 van 190cm. max. clear width between wall ribs and about another
100mm to the sheet steel wall faces.

Last edited by a moderator:

wildebus

Forum Member
A popular aftermarket option on the MB Sprinter Vans in the US are window 'Flares' that replace the rear window sheet metal with moulded extrusions which allow a full length bed set half way up the sides.
I think they can be found in the UK now as well.

n brown

Forum Member
re; flares and other extensions.going wider to the extent of the wing mirrors or less seems best . flares can be found in ally or steel catering trays and various f/glass objects , or just make your own . eg making a simple mould out of 4 lengths of guttering screwed to a sheet of ply

mark61

Forum Member
Don't forget that when window flares are fitted to both sides, you need to change the slider hinge.

Byronic

Westfalia “pop-out” in Sven Hedin VW Crafter conversion. Inside and out pics:

NEW MODEL FOR 2018 Westfalia Sven Hedin Motorhome VW Crafter DSG Automatic Expected UK Debut April - Harbour Creek Motorhomes - Your South Coast Westfalia Dealer

Neatly done although not their own idea.

Real pro standard, as you would expect from Westfalia certainly not an original idea though. But the top
or awning hung effort in Post #4 runs it close, and easier to replicate for a DIY convertor. For a basic
approach an adapted aluminium slim frame window could be utilised.. Both methods IMO are better solutions than fixed bulging sides or window panels, defeats the width advantage of having a panel van.

delicagirl

couldn't you learn to sleep standing up ? or a lengthwise hammock ?:giggle:

Dowel

Forum Member
couldn't you learn to sleep standing up ?:giggle:

Surely one would fall over repeatedly as one fell asleep?
Hanging like a bat might be nicer!

View attachment 67232

I looked at a hammock as a second berth but with the ropes they would be a bit long (3.1m) for our small van.
Would just fit diagonally but I felt would be in the way if another wanted to move along the van or use the galley.
Worth a thought though if it might fit ones layout.

n brown

Forum Member
Real pro standard, as you would expect from Westfalia certainly not an original idea though. But the top
or awning hung effort in Post #4 runs it close, and easier to replicate for a DIY convertor. For a basic
approach an adapted aluminium slim frame window could be utilised.. Both methods IMO are better solutions than fixed bulging sides or window panels, defeats the width advantage of having a panel van.
flares don't stick out as much as wing mirrors. if they protrude 50mm and that is filled with insulation , you still gain the extra width of the wall thickness, 2-4 inches each side. or just don't put wall panelling and insulation where your head and feet need to go , just fix carpet or camping mat to the van skin to stop condensation

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)