AKS Gas Catalytic Heating Systems (Alke)

RAW

Forum Member
Anyone have any experience with these ?
Are they any good ?
alke.jpg

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
I had a calor version of that many years ago as a stand alone portable heater. Though claiming to be flame free I did sometimes see small blue flames. Not as smelly as the open flame type, but I would not want one in a closed room. In time the fibre degraded/got dirty and did not work as well.

• Thank You
Reactions: RAW

wildebus

Forum Member
I've seen ceramic heaters mentioned a lot on some of the US "van life" channels. Seem a good idea but as implied by Squirrellcook, if thet get dirty they stop working well (the US folk all talk about having the front covered when not in use.

Is there a general problem with any of these flueless type gas heaters with water vapour? I used to use a portable Calor Gas heater in my first flat and the windows and even walls were dripping after a while. It was like when you let a kettle boil for ages.

RAW

Forum Member
Is there a general problem with any of these flueless type gas heaters with water vapour? I used to use a portable Calor Gas heater in my first flat and the windows and even walls were dripping after a while. It was like when you let a kettle boil for ages.
Yeah good point, I still have heating issues in Sylvia and the Carver Fire won't be sufficient as it is to heat her in the Winter. I am looking at second hand propex on EBAY and seem to go for anything from 190 to 250

As an interim measure I am tempted to get one of these

wildebus

Forum Member
Those are neat little heaters but not really meant to be used inside (although I think sensible precuations like keeping a window and vent open for cross-ventilation would work).
When I was stuck for heat one evening, I just used one of those portable gas hobs instead of the electric induction to boil a kettle. the amount of heat they put out is pretty good :)

• Thank You

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
My chemistry is rusty, but burning butane or propane produces heat plus water. But where does the carbon go? Carbon monoxide I expect, not the best way to leave this world. I think the reaction of catalectic combustion too. I expect google will show you the chemical process of burning propane.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)