Advice - Erbespatcher Heater D2

Lord Lucan

Purchased a mobility bus from a care home... Seller stated 'it has a diesel heater but we never used it and the pipe is turned off'... I didn't query further because I'd no experience with them... Would love to find out if it works... All blower fans work fine. Any experts near HD5 or LE6?

mistericeman

Forum Member
Lots of advice info on here....

It's my go to site for ebby info....

Look to identify your controller and find the operation of it on the lekton site...
Then fault finding if you need to

Lord Lucan

Fantastic response.
Thankyou.
I feel warmer already.
Ill post some photos today.

Lord Lucan

Many thanks.
Just tried to use it now...
Blower works fine... Clicking can be heard above cab where all the gubbins is located.
Will remove panel an post further photos.
Can't find a diesel isolation tap yet... May be by diesel tank.
IMG_20191103_105223.jpg

wildebus

Forum Member
If it hasn't been used for ages, then one thing you would definately need to do is prime the fuel again.
The clicking will be the fuel pump pulsing away - you should be able to see the fuel inlet and outlet pipes and fuel moving through them. It can take a while to reprime the heater and quite possible the prime process will time out and you need to repeat.

Lord Lucan

Cheers Wildebus, that's exactly what is happening.
Found tap by tank - which is now on.
Clicks about 15 times then stops.
Ill keep trying and update

mistericeman

Forum Member
If you struggle with it timing out you CAN prime it manually....

Take the fuel pipe off the heater and two core wire directly from the fuel pump. Neg to neg of a 12 supply and stroke / tap the pos on the pos to mimic the pump. Keep going until you get bubble free fuel out of the pipe and then reconnect it. It takes quite a while. Reconnect fuel pump and try again.

Lord Lucan

Appears the clicking is a relay...

Opened panel to find some serious stuff here.... With waterpipes.
No heater here.... I'll follow tiny diesel pipes from tank and see where they go... Spotted a tiny exhaust pipe too
IMG_20191103_143801.jpg

Lord Lucan

Plot thickens.... It not a D2.

Its a oblong black box with another diesel valve on it.
It was off... Ive turned it on.
Ill see what happens

Lord Lucan

Very difficult to access
IMG_20191103_145913.jpg
IMG_20191103_145920.jpg
IMG_20191103_145928.jpg
IMG_20191103_145938.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

wildebus

Forum Member
interesting. no idea what that heater is.

The exhaust looks like a pretty standard size (28mm or 26mm - can't remember which size is in and which is out) exhaust pipe.
Once you get it working you may want to think about getting an exhaust silencer fitted to keep it quieter running. You can get suitable ones for around £15 or so.

Bouydog

Forum Member
I have the d5 in mine, I believe it is a bigger version to cope with a larger volume of space to heat.

mistericeman

Forum Member
D5s by looks..... Wet system which probably explains the heater box above the cab...
You may well find you have aircon up there too with a evaporator in the fan box.....
You'll likely find a couple of garden hose looking pipes running to the aircon pump on the engine... Don't cut them if you plan on removing the lot....
They will or should have refrigerant in them... Which is nasty stuff.

Lord Lucan

Thanks Mister...
Correct... If it works ok I'll probably keep it all in

Nabsim

Forum Member
Yes that is a water heater not air heater, I have one under passenger headlight. It can preheat the engine if it is wired todo so otherwise it reduces the time the engine takes to warm up. Mine has a heat exchanger and blower set up in the rear of the van so I can heat van while engine is running. The water heaters usually only work when the engine is running/ignition turned on but can be wired to work independently

Lord Lucan

Well, I've tried to get the heater going with no success.... Clicks can be heard but wont fire up.
I'll have to leave it for now... expensive heavy item to cart around though

wildebus

Forum Member
Well, I've tried to get the heater going with no success.... Clicks can be heard but wont fire up.
I'll have to leave it for now... expensive heavy item to cart around though
If you decide to give up with it and remove it, worth noting that old Eberspacher heaters are worth money in second-hand parts (talking £100+ easily usually). Something to bear in mind before removing just to throw away

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)